Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    The starmetal version of Stormcaller would be Threadcutter, or Webcutter. It's more of a Getimian weapon than a Sidereal one, since the drawn blade cuts the strands of Fate.

Rather than the intensity of a storm, Threadcutter simply inflicts cumulative damage to the laws of reality in the world surrounding it while also protecting the user against the wrath of the Pattern Spiders, and possibly also astrological curses. So even if the Spiders can restore the world to proper order as soon as the demon blade is sheathed, they cannot punish the owner... at least, not unless someone breaks his attunement to Threadcutter. All in all, this weapon is safest for users who are naturally Outside Of Fate.

The errors introduced to the Loom of Fate will probably screw with space and time, making it more difficult for characters to cross range bands and possibly also causing people's turns to happen slightly later in the round than they should, even if their Initiative is greater than Threadcutter's user.

The final attack caused by sheathing the sword -- or perhaps just one of its possible Evocations -- might erase its victims from the memories and recorded history of the world. For Sidereals, it would probably destroy their current Resplendent Destiny.

Threadcutter's sheath might be made of adamant, which is not only cool because of giving adamant something to do, but also means that you've got this prismatically-tinted steel blade encased in a sheath of transparent diamond crystal.

Ironically, this weapon rather than any moonsilver version is the one that makes parts of Creation essentially into Wyld Zones, since the Loom is what makes the difference between Order and Chaos. So Threadcutter could also possibly afflict people with mutations, including derangements and Wyld Addiction.

Instead of "Rain of Doom" feats, Threadcutter might inflict enough damage to the battlefield's connections to the Loom that it becomes a permanent Wyld Zone.
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 04-02-2017, 01:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Lion
    replied
    Yes. I like the idea of limiting intensity, or maybe it can only trap someone in the underworld that is has done a point of damage to? Then tie the attack to a keyword. At that point, your opponent has had two chances to defend, resolve the effect. I can get behind that as a powerful ability that fall into the Artifact 5 space in my head.

I should put a caveat in just about everything I post about how I am viewing it as the character being struck by something. I can handle almost anything happening to my character so long as I had a chance, that might be the wrong way to view Artifacts. I will have to think about that some more. I may be holding onto a recent incident in Pathfinder where my GM sent me an email, and my character was given no save or die roll and essentially date-raped by his sister, who then escaped in a 'ninja vanish' sort of way. I might be too concerned with character agency.

The Rain of Doom remark is 100 percent on point. Objection withdrawn.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Mister Lion View Post
    Your very own, personal way to go to and from the underworld, or trap people there does not feel like Artifact 5 to me, feels like it goes into the more nebulous N/A. That is my feeling, anyways.
    Hmm. Maybe make it harder for Gravedigger to increase Intensity? Like, you need to at least draw blood from a non-trivial enemy, if not outright kill them?

Also, I felt that remaining in the Underworld after you sheathe the sword would be more appropriate for an Evocation than a basic ability, because I do recognize the power of being able to run from any fight in Creation by ducking into the Underworld.

On top of that, I always imagined that successfully leaving non-trivial, properly-named opponents behind in the Underworld or worse would require that they lose some kind of saving throw. We're not talking about an unblockable (or undodgeable) final attack like with Stormbringer. Damage can be soaked, but getting trapped and lost in a hostile world is something else entirely.

That was before we added the evocation getting into the upper tiers of necromancy (presumably) with the summoning.
    Stormcaller can mimic the effects of the Solar Circle Spell "Rain of Doom", with an Evocation gated off by a Solar Charm in an earlier Evocation. Summoning Mortwrights could be gated behind Abyssal Charms.

Immune to Neverborn tantrums?
    Dreams and whispers; the passive effects of being near them, rather than the more drastic effects of when they wake up and thrash around. In any case, we don't have mechanics for either, yet, so we don't know how bad it is to stand near the tombs.

That said, I -like- this one a lot more. I think the concept is cool, and thematic. Controlling the battlefield to your advantage is sword-adjacent type power, and there is definitely a flavor to savor to this. It is evocative and thematic.
    Cool. Glad you like it.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Lion
    replied
    Your very own, personal way to go to and from the underworld, or trap people there does not feel like Artifact 5 to me, feels like it goes into the more nebulous N/A. That is my feeling, anyways. That was before we added the evocation getting into the upper tiers of necromancy (presumably) with the summoning. Immune to Neverborn tantrums?

Nerf it down a bit, I would say, eyeballing it. Stormcaller has to deal with defenses and damage, and other variables, making its powers subject to the trials and tribulations of Exalted combat. As Keyword defenses are a little more difficult to get in this edition, I think this thing eats Stormcaller's lunch.

That said, I -like- this one a lot more. I think the concept is cool, and thematic. Controlling the battlefield to your advantage is sword-adjacent type power, and there is definitely a flavor to savor to this. It is evocative and thematic. I feel it needs toned down, but balance often eludes me.

In short, I like it, it just needs toned down a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
    I think we should make an "I can't believe it's not Stormcaller!" topic to contain these.
    Can we get a moderator to change the title of this thread to match this proposal?

EDIT: NOT the other thread! Heartbreaker is a failure to meet the concept, and I want to use that thread to pursue other ideas!
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 04-02-2017, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aluminiumtrioxid
    replied
    I think we should make an "I can't believe it's not Stormcaller!" topic to contain these.

Also, dibs on making the black and blue jade versions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X