X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warstrider, sorceror, faire noble?

by jakubsan
    '1410′
    My new painting commemorating the Battle of Grunwald, where the combined forces of Polish and Lithuanian knights, crushed the power of the Teutonic Order. It was the largest battle of the Middle Ages.
    If you know who is this character in the foreground … then you know that the big guy at the back has a serious problems Cheers!

Couldn't find the "Exalted pictures" thread.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

European "things", in my Exalted? Heresy

I kid.

More relatedly: totally a warstrider.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

by jakubsan

Not familiar with this. What can you share about these events?

Comment

I dunno. I'd have to use Google just like you.

Comment

I second the Warstrider idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren9077 View Post
            Not familiar with this. What can you share about these events?
            Pole to the rescue!

Background: In 1226, a Polish prince invited the Teutonic Order to help him subdue and Christianize the pagan Prussians. They did succeed, but in the process they founded their own independent state on the conquered territory, which became a huge pain in the ass for the Polish rulers, leading to numerous conflicts and wars.

In 1386, Jogaila, later known as Władysław II Jagiełło, then Grand Duke of pagan (Baltic) Lithuania, married Queen Jadwiga of Poland, formed a personal alliance between Poland and Lithuania, and forcefully converted Lithuanians to Catholicism. This pissed off the Teutonic Order royally (pun totally intended) as at this point in time Lithuania was the last remaining pagan land in the region, and with its conversion they lost their formal reason for being where they were - plus, the fact that their two most troublesome neighbors had become allies couldn't be good, right?

I'm not the best person to present the nuances of what transpired between the three nations in the following fourteen years, but the tensions finally resulted in war between the Teutonic Order and the Polish-Lithuanian union. Very atypically for the times, the armies met on the fields of Grunwald for a deciding battle - most wars in middle ages were settled by sieges rather than battles, because battles are riskier. Even more atypically, the battle was massive for its times - historians aren't quite sure how massive, the assessments vary wildly, but it is universally accepted to be one of the biggest open battles of the middle ages.

In the battle, the Polish-Lithuanian side took considerable casualties (especially the Lithuanians, who were numerous but poorly armored, mostly fielding light cavalry), but in the end, the Teutonic Order got crushed - out of the two hundred seventy-something knights they had (the rest of their forces were allied knights from Western Europe and common soldiers) around two hundred were killed, including their Grandmaster at the time, Ulrich von Jungingen. The remains of the Order fled to the castle of Malbork (Marienburg), where they ultimately made peace after a long siege.

As for the Polish knight in the foreground, his coat of arms identifies him as Zawisza the Black, the greatest Polish knight of the time, highly regarded all around Europe for his martial and diplomatic skills. Basically, Poland's best candidate for the Dawn Exaltation of the time, if not ever. So yeah, the big guy is screwed.

On that note, the gold-black cross with the black eagle on the giant's tabard was the personal banner of Grandmaster von Jungingen, the Teutonic Order itself used a simple black cross on the white field, as seen on normal-sized knights in the picture.

Comment

Morangias Thanks! Very informative, as well as friggin' sweet.

Sunder the Gold, I hope you can appreciate how Google would not have been particularly helpful with only the information provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
                European "things", in my Exalted? Heresy.
                I've joked that the Europeans were mostly wiped out by the Great Contagion and the Abyssals appropriate their culture(s) to ooze wrongness.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

Do you mean this thread ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                    I've joked that the Europeans were mostly wiped out by the Great Contagion and the Abyssals appropriate their culture(s) to ooze wrongness.

I was being sarcastic. I personally find Exalted's "aversion" (for a lack of a better term) to most things European to be hilarious and quasi-offensive (again, for a lack of a better term)

But that is neither here nor there.

Comment

I kinda assume people who say 'heresy' on internet forums aren't being serious...

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Is there something perverse in wanting to get some kind of points for already being familiar with the Battle of Grunwald?

​I don't know... alls I can say is that it's featured in a small book of military disasters that I own, and tends to come up when I review my interest in the history of Eastern Europe (especially as pertains to the development of Christianity there and the form of its frontiers, such as against Catholic powers to the west or Mongol and related expansion in the east, and the Northern Crusades) in general, and the Teutonic Order in particular.

​I mean, the Templars, maybe occasionally the Hospitallers, tend to get a lot of press as religious military orders go, but there we have the example of an organization of knights that governed an actual sizable territory in a manner distinct from most contemporary European powers of the time, on the order of centuries.

​I speculate that at least some of the lack of attention might emerge from how some Templar iconography was incorporated by the Nazis, who would have been really big on the associations with its formation of Prussia and the mythology of it as a powerful German force arrayed against barbaric Slavic hoards.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

As for the picture, something about the way that it stands makes me think more gigantic creature than warstrider; I advocate for the latter looking more like armour than mecha, but my image of it is still something that doesn't quite look like there is a proportionally sized person inside.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
                            Pole to the rescue!

Background: In 1226, a Polish prince invited the Teutonic Order to help him subdue and Christianize the pagan Prussians. They did succeed, but in the process they founded their own independent state on the conquered territory, which became a huge pain in the ass for the Polish rulers, leading to numerous conflicts and wars.

In 1386, Jogaila, later known as Władysław II Jagiełło, then Grand Duke of pagan (Baltic) Lithuania, married Queen Jadwiga of Poland
                            Hadn't she been named king rather than queen?

Comment

Originally posted by Ren9077 View Post
                              Morangias Thanks! Very informative, as well as friggin' sweet.

Sunder the Gold, I hope you can appreciate how Google would not have been particularly helpful with only the information provided.
                              You say this as if accusing me for not regaling you with information that I had told you I did not know.

So, I fart in your general direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X