Mimicing the Gods - Sorcery style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimicing the Gods - Sorcery style

Through deep meditation and long study of gods ,elementals, ghosts and exalted you have learned how to mimic their power and eventually you hope to surpass them all.

Shaping rituals:

Meditating on your soul and breathing deeply on the essence of the world. Spend one willpower role (Wits + Occult) every success gives a mote that lasts for the day.

Study a supernatural being greater than a human (anything with an essence score above one). Role (Intelligence + Occult) every success gives a mote that lasts the rest of the story.

Merits:

Vessel of the Gods (1-5 dots): The sorcerer through great training has learned how to become unto the gods, for each dot of this merit he gains a 5 essence points in a pool that can only be filled with a shape sorcery action. The sorcerer can only use the shape sorcery action to fill this pool once per day but the essence stays if not used. This pool may not be used for any sorcery only charms and invocations. This pool may be used to attune artifacts and such.

Refinement of the Gods(4 dots may be taken multiply times) through strenuous workings and many hours of work you have raised your essence rating by one

all other merits require Vessel of the Gods

Fruit of the Gods (variable, can be taken multiple times) With this merit the sorcerer has learned a charm from a supernatural being this charm must be from a god, elemental or ghost no exalted charms

Work of the gods (3 dots) with this merit a sorcerer can begin learning invocations

Perfection of the gods (4 dots, may be taken multiple times) May learn an excellency for an ability using the rules for dragonblooded

Home of a God (4 dots) Sorcerers may now make a Home in elsewhere as the Gods do

Form of a God (5 dots, requires home of a god) The sorcery does not have an upper or lower soul but instead reforms as gods do when they die .

This is all very rough. I love the rules of exalted but I just love stories where the heroes really have to work for power. any thoughts are welcome

Being able to reform on death is a big, big deal for someone like the Exalted. It makes it literally impossible to kill them outside of spirit destruction charms. Way too strong to be a merit

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Also not too big on the notion of spending a flat 12 XP to raise your Essence rating by 1. Especially since I don't see anything proscribing the Exalted from taking this.

Also, once you've boosted your Essence to arbitrary levels, what stops you studying yourself for motes?
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-04-2017, 08:32 PM.

Comment

The basic ideal for this path is that of someone who hates their lack of power its the path of those who want to prove that they can be better than the Gods using nothing but themselves by being any type of being but a mortal would prevent you from taking this school. Its the path of a the dragonblooded who never exalted, the path of the downtrodded but smart street rat, the path of an escaped sacrifice.

The people who walk this path would reject exaltation out of hand unless they some how recreated themselves. They want the power of the Gods with none of the drawbacks using their own sweat and tears when they reach the summit they want to say they did it not fate or luck or by kissing someone feet.

The reason the essence increase is at a lower level is because even if you have essence ten you still only have the essence pool that Vessel of the Gods gives you.

On studying yourself that would defiantly not be allowed its about seeing something in the world and taking that into yourself to empower yourself

Comment

With two exceptions from the prior edition, "rejecting Exaltation" is not something you can really do.

Comment

This strikes me as a decent way of stating up an NPC sorcerer who has used a working to enhance themselves to the power level of a second circle demon (something a mortal can theoretically do). But not really working for a player character. Way too much of these merits could be hella abused. Not to mention the raising essence breaking all molds on raising essence in this edition.

Comment

Really the whole thing seems to stink of the notion of the "self-made man" who "pulls himself up by his bootstraps" being a superior or more-morally-upright way to live. The reality is, though, that's just not how things work. And I ain't just talkin' the Exalted setting, here - everybody owes their lot in life to other people. People beyond counting. There is no self-made man, and anyone who thinks that he is, or that he'd somehow be better if he didn't have other people to be grateful for, is deluding himself.

The Exalted are in no way inferior for having the power of the gods, not least because the gods don't grant their power to just anybody.

Also also also, shall we assume you meant Evocations in the OP?
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-05-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Yes I did in fact mean Evocations sorry.

The self made man thing is a decent point but that's a hook for future story telling and I'm sure there other view points that can be used for this like someone who fell in love with an elemental and wanted to be more like them or someone who witnessed a god going all out and was inspired like an artist trying to recreate a sunset but using their soul as the paint and canvas.

Also this path would lead to the sorcerer to naturally having a lot of enemies Gods and Demons even Dragonblooded aren't going to like some uppity mortal coming in on their business.

Maybe changing the Refinement of the god merit to a 3 dot merit that allows mortals to increase their essence rating using the in book rules that way its more open to other types of people. Form of a God could be changed to just making the character be immortal as in unaging and eternal youth kind not unkillable and gain exalted healing mutation.

Undying merit (5 dots) Possessed of a stubborn will that matches the gods when this character is killed he may role Willpower to see if he can later reform himself.

Comment

Ive seen the like of this before. Its certainly not something Id want canon, but its a fun idea to toy with anyway and at your own table.

The essence raising thing I would make the 4 dot merit that then allows their essence to increase like an Exalt or god. Either based on an experience threshold you have to reach or creating a portfolio that you have to tie yourself to, and begin making a cult, with each dot of cult increasing yourbessence by 1.

The power of making yourself a god should be a transcendant thing. Reauires Essence 5, and you really do become a God, based on the theme you created with the Essence raising merit. Or something.

Comment

Arteliex's sugestion of a 4 dot merit that granted you the xp progression to essence is a wonderful one that solves the balance issues while allowing a mortal to perform miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by satoshi View Post
                      Arteliex's sugestion of a 4 dot merit that granted you the xp progression to essence is a wonderful one that solves the balance issues while allowing a mortal to perform miracles.
                      Well, no, because at that point, the guy's pretty blatantly not a mortal anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        Well, no, because at that point, the guy's pretty blatantly not a mortal anymore.

That's semantically fair, so let me restate: This is a mechanically fair way to play a former mortal who has transcended their limitations.

I wouldn't ever recomend it be common, but if someone is looking for a way to play a non-exalt in a party of exalted this is a decent way to do it. If however, one were playing in a mortals game this would obviously be overpowered, so context is key.

Comment

I also think it would make a neat enemy for any players. The idea of it any way. What if a less moral sorcerer was kidnapping dragonblooded/godblooded children to do research on or use as part of some ritual or a sorcerer killing huge amounts of elementals to study them or summoning and capturing ghosts.

I really think their could be a ton of story opportunities with this kinda of character.

Plus you could use the sorcerer to challenge your players preconceptions of mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperspacewizard View Post
                            Plus you could use the sorcerer to challenge your players preconceptions of mortals.
                            Well, no, again, an Essence 3 spell-slinger who can disappear into his extradimensional den and reforms from death itself is not mortal.

You might as well say that including John Carpenter's The Thing in your Creation would challenge players' preconceptions about mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperspacewizard View Post
                              Seeing how the most popular preconception about mortals is that they don't matter unless they somehow acquire a mote pool and some Charms, I'm inclined to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                              X