No announcement yet.

Mimicing the Gods - Sorcery style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this is a way to sneak in an "I can't believe it's not Exaltation" type thing that is "earned" through the back door, I don't know about the whole process of bothering trying to work it in through Sorcery Initiation. Just declare an earned "I can't believe it's not Exaltation" thing to exist for your games and avoid the fuss. No one is going to nick your book for doing it!

Still, assuming we're not doing that and *really* looking at making a workable Initiation out of the idea, it's not a bad idea in itself to have a Sorcery Initiation which revolves around a sort of mimetic, borrowing from the gods. I think that would improved by include some "scars" and strangeness from being a chameleon / sponge for godly power - that doesn't always affect you the way you'd like (while this seems pretty complication free).

If you have the Initiate reforming after death, I think it would work better if you made it clear that the character reformed *as* a spirit, not a mortal, losing both the benefits and drawbacks of their mortal status, and is vulnerable to Exalted spirit permakill attacks.

Not a fan of the Dragonblooded Excellency or Evocation access or the things around learning Charms. For one, applied to the Exalted, there would be Lunars learning Dragonblooded Ability Excellencies. For another, I like the idea that unExalted Sorcerers generally have a distinct way of doing things from characters who can rely directly on Excellencies and Charms. But this just comes back to the "knock off Exaltation" thing anyway.

I would agree with Arteliex's way of doing the Essence merit, . It would also make sense to cap it (at 3).

For thinking about when designing the Merits, I would say also to bear in mind that sorcerers under another initiation are going to be doing Workings to enhance themselves. This includes obtaining things like building a spiritual home or even boosted functional greater than mortal abilities. That might be a lot more fun to play out (the process of doing Workings) than just buying merits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
      For thinking about when designing the Merits, I would say also to bear in mind that sorcerers under another initiation are going to be doing Workings to enhance themselves. This includes obtaining things like building a spiritual home or even boosted functional greater than mortal abilities. That might be a lot more fun to play out (the process of doing Workings) than just buying merits.
      This. I have no problem with sorcerers becoming gods, demons, or even weird and unique beings. But I think this is better represented through Workings, which allow for more wiggle room without needlessly codifying what should be a pretty unique feat of magic.

EDIT: My main problem with the OP's offering, apart from needing a lot of refinement, is that whether they're official or homemade, I expect the rules I introduce at my table to apply equally to everyone, and sorcerous initiations are something Exalted can learn as well.
      Last edited by Morangias; 04-07-2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperspacewizard View Post
        Through deep meditation and long study of gods ,elementals, ghosts and exalted you have learned how to mimic their power and eventually you hope to surpass them all.
        I'm not sure I'm sold on this premise.

For me part of the identity of Sorcery is that it is distinct from, and bigger and older than, gods. The initiations that involve divine patrons give me the impression that the elemental/demon is providing (maybe "sponsoring") the character's enlightenment, but once done the character is a sorcerer forevermore regardless of what Mara might think. The powers of spirits have little or nothing to do with Sorcery; their mote pools are like those an Exalt has, not Sorcerous motes, for example. So mimicking spirits (and merits that make you more like a spirit) doesn't really jive for me as way to achieve or a byproduct of sorcerous enlightenment, unless the spirit itself knows sorcery, in which case you're back to something more like "Ifrit Lord" or "Mara"

On the other hand, I do see some interesting possibility space in studying spirits to achieve a sort of academic enlightenment, a sort of "Lore" counterpart to the Talisman enlightenment's "Craft", if you will. If Sorcery, to whatever extent, involves harnessing the magic of the world, then studying how inherently magical creatures interact with the world (and vice versa) is sure to give you some relevant insights. If you're willing to go even further and accept that the powers that created the world (and the spirits in it, directly or indirectly) have a deep connection to sorcery, as 2nd edition postulated, then one could also speculate that the indelible marks of that process might still persist and be enlightening too.

All that is to say, I think the Shaping Rituals work okay, but I don't think any of the merits work for me. There are certainly balance issues as other have pointed out, but that aside, they still don't feel like they fall in Sorcery's wheelhouse.
        Last edited by Blackwell; 04-07-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I knew this all seemed familiar…

Comment

Working...
          X