[Ex3] Increasing Strength Excercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3] Increasing Strength Excercise

So what does the forum think of an athletics charm that allows you to commit motes to ISE to keep it active indefinitely? I like to play the strongman, and I would like the peace of mind to activate it and just keep it on, instead of having to say I reactivate it every scene.

Also, anyone have any cool ideas for any additional Athletics charms, or strongman builds, that emphasize overwhelming might, in and/or out of combat?

At first glance that seems more like a lunar charm than a solar one to me. I'd think that with the athletics excellency would cover most situations for a solar, as it is reflexive, with Increasing Strength Exercise being the fallback for when that's not enough.

Besides boosting STR naturally, taking merits such as mighty thews and favouring athletics, you can also select other abilities to match your strongman style. Throwing big boulders as a combat tactic would show of his strength, as would the brawl/MA charms based around throwing enemies around.

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

ISE is kind of a broken Charm already. Removing the action cost to activate isn't a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AtG View Post
        ISE is kind of a broken Charm already. Removing the action cost to activate isn't a good idea.
        Are you aware of Vance's recent clarification for it and similar stat-boosting Charms?

Comment

Yeah, Vance's clarification made it much more reasonable. It's now a charm I would take on a character and not feel cheesy. And let my players take and be comfortable with it.

I think making it indefinite therefore, is not utterly broken, but I think it's still a bit good.
          Giving you extra dice on all your withering damage is a minor benefit at low essence, but fairly significant at higher essence, to the extent that it ought to make you spend an action to power up, put your body into a strong stance, stretch your muscles, etc. I don't think letting people have it on indefinitely is broken, just a bit good, basically.
          Which inclines me to say "perhaps a high-essence upgrade" but then, it's much better at high essence than low essence (having +1 damage is fairly minor, having +5 damage is quite significant).
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I mean, there's genre precedent. It sounds a lot like when Goku and Gohan trained so they could stay in Super Saiyan form all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
              I mean, there's genre precedent. It sounds a lot like when Goku and Gohan trained so they could stay in Super Saiyan form all the time.
              1 - Solars are explicitly barred from being casually superhuman.
              2 - The closest thing to SSJ that Solars have is actually more like Ascendant Battle Visage.
              3 - That's Dragonball, not Exalted. You're not going to be able to make a clean conversion between concepts in either, especially since at least three types of Exalted (the ones we know are going to be based on Attributes - Alchemicals, Liminals, and Lunars) aren't traditional martial arts types who engage in training to hone themselves.
              4 - Do you know how much it takes to feed a Saiyan? MasakoX made a tabulation recently, and it's... financially depleting.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
                Are you aware of Vance's recent clarification for it and similar stat-boosting Charms?
                I am not aware of said clarification. Could you enlighten me, or just post a link. You know, whatever suits you. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by MobiusHero View Post

I am not aware of said clarification. Could you enlighten me, or just post a link. You know, whatever suits you. ^_^
                  I think I'll go with a link. That's where it starts, you can find more clarifications further down the thread.

Comment

page 254 of the core book has these quotes
                    Solars can bend the cosmos, truck casually with soul-shattering horrors, duel with gods, hurl boulders, and slay armies, but they do not exist in states which are casually supermortal
                    A Solar may not permanently raise her strength such that she can effortlessly snap the mightiest oak, for her power is derived from effort.

I want to play this as a starting character, I don't even care what game
                    http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtop...7a1c&start=272

Comment

Maintaining commitment to an indefinite Charm is an effort on the Solar's part, though.

Comment

Do a mod I saw in 2.Xe, reduce commitment or cheap/reflexive instant activation, but in exchange it would only apply to FoS and nothing else.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
                        Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

If im remembering correctly, the clarification states that while ISE gives bonus dots of strength, theyre treated like bonus dice from Charms, limiting the total amount of bonus dice you could further get from excellencies and other magic.

Comment

It really should have said that it gave bonus dice rather than dots from the start.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by Arteliex View Post
                              If im remembering correctly, the clarification states that while ISE gives bonus dots of strength, theyre treated like bonus dice from Charms, limiting the total amount of bonus dice you could further get from excellencies and other magic.
                              Yes, but it also does not interact with charm calculations. So if a charm effect is based on strength, it still uses pre-ISE strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X