No announcement yet.

[Ex3] Increasing Strength Excercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because it causes a lot of charms to become rather broken? Solars making 10 attacks a round, etc.
    Seriously, Vance's clarification lets ISE do what it's supposed to (making you better at strength rolls, damage rolls, lifting stuff, etc, ie strength-stuff), without making other charms overpowered.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Because it causes a lot of charms to become rather broken? Solars making 10 attacks a round, etc.
      Seriously, Vance's clarification lets ISE do what it's supposed to (making you better at strength rolls, damage rolls, lifting stuff, etc, ie strength-stuff), without making other charms overpowered.

11. Obviously you'll be boosting Twice-Striking Lightning Prism.

Vance's rewrite, not a clarification.

Comment

I was mostly just getting opinions outside my gaming group, just to test the waters, fresh ideas and the like.

However, something came up that I can't find or remember the rules for. How do you model throwing massive objects at enemies, or even just dropping them on them? Cause I lifted a difficulty 35 object and tossed it at our target, on my subsequent turn, but we couldn't find rules for it. We just said if it hit, which it did, it would do uncountable levels of lethal damage, and ended the session afterward.
        Seeing as how that is a bit broken, what are the official rules, or at least how have you guys home brewed it?

Comment

While I don't think there are official rules for this 9I could be wrong here) If I were running it I'd probably treat it as falling damage (In Exalted the ground falls on you!) as those rules are actually pretty brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by MobiusHero View Post
            I was mostly just getting opinions outside my gaming group, just to test the waters, fresh ideas and the like.

However, something came up that I can't find or remember the rules for. How do you model throwing massive objects at enemies, or even just dropping them on them? Cause I lifted a difficulty 35 object and tossed it at our target, on my subsequent turn, but we couldn't find rules for it. We just said if it hit, which it did, it would do uncountable levels of lethal damage, and ended the session afterward.
            Seeing as how that is a bit broken, what are the official rules, or at least how have you guys home brewed it?
            If you throw something larger than a Yeddim at someone, it's probably going to do uncountable damage yeah. Though throwing things of that size has its own complications.

I would just do the uncountable lethal damage to people in the vicinity who would logically be hit by it. If said people are particularly important, you might give them an Athletics + Dodge roll against a difficulty of 5 or higher to see if they can get away before dying. Or maybe they have a charm to withstand uncountable recurring damage, etc.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion, but I felt bad if I just popped in and suggested some sort of special activation without at least giving a paltry offering as to what one might be.

What about, if you use a full excellency on a feat of strength, with additional cost, maybe willpower, you can reflexively activate it. Make it an Essence 3 repurchase or something. THen it isn't just straight combat cheese.

Okay so I've been giving this a little bit of thought. If you want to make a charm that lets your reflexively activate ISE in combat if a certain condition is met, then you should make the condition something that really shows off your character as a strongman. To be clear, that's not necessarily something your character actively does like a feat of strength. It could be something like clashing with close range weapon with the bashing tag or landing a smashing attack that knocks the opponent to the ground. If you're going to have something like that, I'd probably lock it behind Thunderbolt Attack Prana and consider making the charm Essence 1 or 2, depending on activation costs and the exact terms of the condition that allows for the reflexive activation of ISE.

Another idea for the condition is that it could be soaking a withering attack, causing only minimum damage to be rolled. I'm not as much of a fan of this one because that's going to be more in line with the Resistance charm tree than the Athletics one. I have a few issues with that but they basically come down to personal taste. I'd still make sure to make the charm about 3 charms deep into the Resistance tree if you went that route.

Comment

So I came up with an idea for oversized weapon combat.
                Use the casual strength of whatever the difficulty of the feat was, as your strength for the purpose of calculating withering damage, and the weapon is considered large, and has the improvised tag.
                Ie: FoS difficulty is 33, your strength is counted as 11 for generating withering damage.

For decisive attacks, they gain the unblockable keyword, and... that's it I guess, couldn't think of anything else that wasn't super unbalanced... any ideas? Or should I just go with uncountable damage? Still seems unbalanced, and I would like these rules to be usable by everyone, so any ideas would be cool.

I'm not super worried about the activation time of ISE, I was just annoyed at having to always say I reactivate it. It isn't a huge deal though, my ST is pretty lenient about stuff like that. Seeing as how the motes were committed until the end of the scene anyway, I didn't really see an issue with just leaving them committed indefinitely and forgetting about it.
                Last edited by MobiusHero; 04-08-2017, 02:45 AM. Reason: Noticed previous post

Comment

Working...
                X