Actually playing. Need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually playing. Need advice

So, while it will just be two, maybe three of us, I get to actually play. I am more excited than I probably should be. I will be making two characters; a Dawn and an eclipse. I will only play one, but they represent the two things I enjoy most; talking to people and the occasional scrap.

The Eclipse is still a little nebulous, I envision him as Herself, personally, so I will refine him.

The Dawn, well I am torn on. I normally like to play a grand daiklaive wielder. I am not, this time. It is a new edition, I want to do something new.

I am considering a daiklaive and shield style, which feels like it could be fun, and the shield feels like a stunt gold mine.

I am also considering Mell supernal, and Steel Devil Style. It also is dripping with flavor, and has built in synergies with the Single point. It feels like I might have more fun in the meta of charm selection there.

Steel devil, as I understand it is a counter and strike style. It seems to be regarded poorly. Not everything needs to be optimized to be fun, but is it fun? It looks a little complicated, but this Exalted, there are supposed to be fiddly bits.

Any and all input is welcome.

Steel Devil was pretty fun when my group's Eclipse used it. It was occasionally tricky getting a solid hit in against high-Defense, high-Soak enemies, but having a Brawl buddy to stick onslaught penalties on the baddies keeps it pretty solid (and for countering armor soak, there's Athletics Charms).
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-05-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Lion View Post
      So, while it will just be two, maybe three of us, I get to actually play. I am more excited than I probably should be. I will be making two characters; a Dawn and an eclipse. I will only play one, but they represent the two things I enjoy most; talking to people and the occasional scrap.

The Eclipse is still a little nebulous, I envision him as Herself, personally, so I will refine him.

The Dawn, well I am torn on. I normally like to play a grand daiklaive wielder. I am not, this time. It is a new edition, I want to do something new.

I am considering a daiklaive and shield style, which feels like it could be fun, and the shield feels like a stunt gold mine.

I am also considering Mell supernal, and Steel Devil Style. It also is dripping with flavor, and has built in synergies with the Single point. It feels like I might have more fun in the meta of charm selection there.

Steel devil, as I understand it is a counter and strike style. It seems to be regarded poorly. Not everything needs to be optimized to be fun, but is it fun? It looks a little complicated, but this Exalted, there are supposed to be fiddly bits.

Any and all input is welcome.
      Socialize is super fun this edition, a Socialize-Supernal Eclipse could also play a Single Point stylist, as a Persona (You can pick up Legend Mask Methodology (pp. 401) at char-gen, which allows you to purchase Charms for your Personas, with that persona's own separate exp pool, it's 7 charms deep).

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
      Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Lion View Post
        I have a Zenith with a lot of melee charms who goes artifact hammer, artifact shield, and artifact heavy armor. What I've found is that you commit an absolute shit ton of your mote pool. If we hadn't started at E2, it might have really gotten into a negative play experience, and I honestly don't think I would design an Ex3 character like that (he started in Ex2 before we upgraded editions). Unless you want a lot of Parry or Defend Other evocations, you should probably not use an artifact shield. Without an evocation that boosts your Defense, it kind of sucks. Once my ST and I works out an evocation that did boost my defense, having so much committed felt a lot better, since Parry is such a powerful stat on a Melee-focused character.

That said, War Lion Defense and Hail Shattering Practice are awesome in a Melee Parry focused character. You suck up enormous amounts of hits intended for your allies, negate onslaughts with Dipping Swallow Defense (or Bulwark Stance or whatever you like), and can still generally hit hard enough with your other charms and a non-shield artifact weapon to be terrifying on the battlefield. You wade in and are just untouchable. You hit them hard and gain lots of initiative. High enough soak means you don't give it back. When an enemy attacks an ally, you're there with War Lion Defense, eating the blow, and Dipping Swallow means that attempts to hurt your friends only make you stronger. You turn your mildly effective allies into untouchable machines. And when the enemy dies and his Warstrider self destructs, or the volcano god sets is mountain to blow, you parry the explosion with Heavenly Guardian Defense.

There are a lot of archetypes in Melee--the charm tree is really complicated, and hints at all the cool things the Ex3 combat system is capable of--but the Defend Other combat style might just be my favorite. It's a mixture of incredible support and hitting hard.

Comment

Have you looked at the other Martial Arts Styles? Because Dreaming Pearl, Nightingale, and Black Claw are three very "Social friendly" styles. Both Dreaming Pearl and Nightingale work well with Solar Performance (dancing and singing, respectively) and Black Claw is basically a weaponized version of being a manipulative bitch. Any opponent who has an intimacy towards you will get eaten alive by Black Claw or Dreaming Pearl and using them together can let you basically instantly kill someone by physically ripping their heart from their chest.

Comment

If you want a hybrid style, I would suggest Melee/Thrown. Thrown is not a great primary combat Ability, but it's great for alpha strikes/crippling/etc.

I also second the notion that starting out with loads of heavy Artifacts can be counter-productive. Regular weapons and armor are better in Ex3 relative to Ex2.

Comment

Mortal weapons have a pretty big downside when faced with high soak builds, having played in a party that didn't really have access to any artifact weapons it can be a big deal when nobody has an answer for someone with 24 soak.

Comment

Originally posted by satoshi View Post
                Mortal weapons have a pretty big downside when faced with high soak builds, having played in a party that didn't really have access to any artifact weapons it can be a big deal when nobody has an answer for someone with 24 soak.
                Throw him into the ocean and laugh as he sinks like a rock?

Toss a weighted net on him and ride away?

Lure him into a canyon and trigger a rockslide?

Offer him a hefty bribe to fight for your side instead?

You've got options.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  Throw him into the ocean and laugh as he sinks like a rock?

Toss a weighted net on him and ride away?

Lure him into a canyon and trigger a rockslide?

Offer him a hefty bribe to fight for your side instead?

You've got options.

First off, your suggestions for 1 or 2 sound like they would be modeled on Gambits and those require initiative to pull off, so still doesn't solve the problem. Second off all, that's a pretty pedantic response. I was attempting to relay knowledge of a thing that was frustrating for my gaming group to someone asking for advice hoping to spare them some frustration.

Comment

It doesn't have to be frustrating, if you're willing to think tactically. Players will be frustrated if they're used to 2e-style "mashing the 'Attack' button" to win fights, but there's a number of ways to approach your problems, which was what my post attempted to illustrate.

(Also, Heaven Thunder Hammer is not a Gambit, nor is laughter. Also also, even if throwing a net over someone requires a Gambit, riding a horse does not.)
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-07-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

You are correct insomuch as there are multiple ways around every problem, however when someone asks for advice on the mechanics of a combat build, I don't think giving them advice on the combat mechanics is at all unreasonable. You seem to disagree, I'm not really sure why.

Minor rules quibble: Heaven thunder hammer was not mentioned by name so I didn't initially address it, but it requires 4+ successes on the decisive attack initiative roll to throw them farther than 1 range band (and 3 to get even that), so my point about needing initiative still stands.
                      Last edited by satoshi; 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X