About First Age Artifice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About First Age Artifice

I think this deserves its own thread instead of hidden in the back of another.

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    Please find below an Arms of the Chosen sidebar on First Age Artifice. As with all previews, this material is subject to change.

Note that we are still looking to refine this sidebar. We want to make sure that everything that should be listed as First Age Artifice is covered, and that the explanations presented herein are clear. Feedback in this instance is welcome, though of course there is no guarantee that any specific reader’s feedback will be used.

(The final paragraph concerns a formatting trick to highlight relevant artifacts and save on wordcount, but it may prove unnecessary depending on how many such artifacts actually make it into the final draft.)

Enjoy!

First Age Artifice

By incorporating sorcery and other arcane sciences into their work, First Age artificers achieved feats beyond the grasp of latter-day smiths. This, specifically, is what is meant by First Age artifice (Exalted, pp.243-244). Then as now, most artifacts constructed in the First Age employed more straightforward techniques. First Age artifice was reserved for grand and sublime feats that could not otherwise be achieved.

Artifacts requiring Craft (First Age Artifice) include such things as warstriders, airships, powered armor, miraculous infrastructure, sophisticated siege weaponry, automata with human-level intelligence, and anything else the Storyteller feels is incompatible with the setting of the Time of Tumult.

Out of game, this subsystem supports the setting conceit that many First Age marvels could neither be maintained nor replaced after the Usurpation, and allows Solar characters to repair and rebuild a few miraculous wonders from that era without being able to casually restore the glories of the First Age singlehandedly. It also ensures that certain artifact types are sufficiently difficult to construct that characters can't build them casually, and that they are very rare in the Time of Tumult without being outright impossible to create in play. These restrictions are fuzzy and ultimately rely on Storyteller judgment.

The section mark (§) denotes an artifact requiring Craft (First Age Artifice) to manufacture and repair. As a reminder, all crafting and repairs on such artifacts must be done with white experience points.
    Last edited by Sakii; 04-06-2017, 01:35 PM.

Capital idea.

Comment

Sounds right to me. One snippet in there was particularly inspiring.

Here's a question I'm wondering about: Would Brass Legionnaires from previous editions fall under the auspices of First Age Artifice?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        Here's a question I'm wondering about: Would Brass Legionnaires from previous editions fall under the auspices of First Age Artifice?
        I'd say so, albeit at the low end of it.

Comment

This is quite pleasing, although I have to wonder if there were still more 'rudimentary' artifacts that count as First Age Artifice.

Stormcaller for an example specifically mentions that a fair bit of heavy duty sorcery was used in its creation and it overall seems like something that should be beyond normal (if such a thing exists) artifact creation.
          Last edited by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu; 04-07-2017, 12:53 AM. Reason: Mixed name up

Comment

Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
            This is quite pleasing, although I have to wonder if there were still more 'rudimentary' artifacts that count as First Age Artifice.

Stormbinder for an example specifically mentions that a fair bit of heavy duty sorcery was used in its creation and it overall seems like something that should be beyond normal (if such a thing exists) artifact creation.
            You don't need the Craft (First Age Artifice) Ability to repair Stormcaller should it become damaged.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Blurb contains "Powered Armor" as an example of First Age Artifice.

I am content.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I am content.
                It's powered by friendship.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

It's powered by friendship.
                  Friendship and the life-force of the wearer in the case of some of them. I keep telling them that making your armor out of Soulsteel is just ASKING for it to drink your soul.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I am content.
                    Hell, the corebook does that.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

.... and anything else the Storyteller feels is incompatible with the setting of the Time of Tumult.

First Age electric guitar confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                      X