No announcement yet.

Tomb of Dreams is out to Backers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It occurs to me that I've never actually seen the other adventures before; I'm familiar with the names, and a broad outline of the scenarios, but not really the actual products. I don't really have a basis to conclude if this scenario is more sophisticated. Still, it seems like a good introduction.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I've heard about the firebird being an elemental in the story. Is there a sense of what that 'species' of elementals are like broadly?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Fire Orchid's writeup has thrown me for a loop, since I was expecting for her to have an extra ten years on her career time* and have War Supernal. I know that the constraints of the adventure would have made the latter a bit difficult a choice, particularly with the reliance she would have on having villagers around to train, though.

*Per Scavenger Sons, Lookshy citizens and helots start service at 18 and typical mortal retirement age is 68.

Comment

The pregens are written up according to the needs of the scenario, yeah, and are not really the versions of those characters that would show up elsewhere. Volfer doesn't have his signature sword, f'rex.

I may have fucked up her career time, like I fucked up that tentacles/arms thing. I'll check when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
            The pregens are written up according to the needs of the scenario, yeah, and are not really the versions of those characters that would show up elsewhere. Volfer doesn't have his signature sword, f'rex.
            It's kind of like one of those side stories you see when a series of sword and sorcery short stories is compiled in in-setting chronological order, where a character wanders off and has some weird crossover adventure that doesn't really fit into the timeline, then shows up again in the next story as though nothing had happened. (Elric, I'm looking at you.)

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
              It's kind of like one of those side stories you see when a series of sword and sorcery short stories is compiled in in-setting chronological order, where a character wanders off and has some weird crossover adventure that doesn't really fit into the timeline, then shows up again in the next story as though nothing had happened. (Elric, I'm looking at you.)
              "Hmm? Oh, that was OVA continuity. We're on TV series continuity."

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                It occurs to me that I've never actually seen the other adventures before; I'm familiar with the names, and a broad outline of the scenarios, but not really the actual products. I don't really have a basis to conclude if this scenario is more sophisticated. Still, it seems like a good introduction.
                I'm pretty sure that both of those are free, if you want to go look.

Comment

If I was going to play in this adventure, what I'd probably try to do is find a way to send the demon back to Hell, once we'd freed it from the wards. Such a plan would likely rely on ST fiat to some degree, partially because the 3e book doesn't really discuss what happens when a task bound demon completes their task (so one could argue a few different things), and partly because the only Sorcerer on the team doesn't have Demon of the First Circle, let alone any of the other spells.

And, even if the ST was willing to go along with the argument that the demon would have the option of heading back to Malfeas when its term of service was up, you would still need to convince everyone involved that it was the best plan and likely have Mirror Flag use her anima power to make sure the demon actually went home. I could see all three spirits objecting to it, but I think it's really the only plan that doesn't require someone getting beaten up/killed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                    If I was going to play in this adventure, what I'd probably try to do is find a way to send the demon back to Hell, once we'd freed it from the wards. Such a plan would likely rely on ST fiat to some degree, partially because the 3e book doesn't really discuss what happens when a task bound demon completes their task (so one could argue a few different things), and partly because the only Sorcerer on the team doesn't have Demon of the First Circle, let alone any of the other spells.
                    I don't have the book handy, and I recognize that it may not cover this adequately (or that my current understanding may contradict published 3e material), but my understanding is that a bound demon returns to the Demon City when its service is complete—whether because its year and a day of service has expired, or because its task has been fulfilled. A summoned demon is only loose in Creation if the binding fails.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Or the summoner tells it to "Do what thou wilt."

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                        I don't have the book handy, and I recognize that it may not cover this adequately (or that my current understanding may contradict published 3e material), but my understanding is that a bound demon returns to the Demon City when its service is complete—whether because its year and a day of service has expired, or because its task has been fulfilled. A summoned demon is only loose in Creation if the binding fails.
                        That was my understanding too, but the adventure indicates that the demon expects to be able to escape into the dreams of Creation's masses if the bindings keeping it here are broken. So, either I misread the adventure and I'm wrong about that or this particular binding had some kind of escape clause in it (well or this demon isn't bound as tightly to hell as the others). Well, or neither of us understand the binding rules correctly.

Or...hrm..... I guess maybe this counts as the binding "failing" rather than the binding coming to its natural conclusion?
                        Last edited by BrilliantRain; 04-07-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

I think it might be better to write it off as the kind of binding failure or weakness that is unlikely to happen to a PC in play but can happen to facilitate an interesting plot.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

That was my understanding too, but the adventure indicates that the demon expects to be able to escape into the dreams of Creation's masses if the bindings keeping it here are broken. So, either I misread the adventure and I'm wrong about that or this particular binding had some kind of escape clause in it (well or this demon isn't bound as tightly to hell as the others). Well, or neither of us understand the binding rules correctly.

Or...hrm..... I guess maybe this counts as the binding "failing" rather than the binding coming to its natural conclusion?
                            Sometimes, things happen the way the story needs them to. Divergence from the rules is mainly a problem when it's a "gotcha" that interferes directly with the PCs' plans, or when it violates players' sense of the setting's internal consistency in a negative way.

But yeah, assuming the rules are actually unclear rather than just me being loopy due to late-night deadlines, Vance and I will chat at some point about how this is supposed to work.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

I don't think "Go to sleep and in your nightmares manifest a pocket dimension in which various elements of your personality serve as sentries to guard some loot we're going to stash in you" is something you can normally task-bind a demon to do. This was probably a nonstandard bit of sorcery, maybe a working.

Comment

Both of those are good points. Possibly it might be worth a sidebar or something in the adventure. "What if your players reject the no-win scenario?" or "What if your players want to banish the demon to hell?" or something. Assuming the binding was "lie here and sleep for a month" or something and then they used that month to do a Working which scooped out its dreams and anchored it to this location for as long as the artifacts were there, I think an argument could be made that the demon could opt to head back to hell once the Working was broken or stay here, so convincing it to head back to hell and the other spirits to be agree with that is maybe your best option for a Third Option "Good Ending."

Of course, it also requires selling your ST on the above interpretation of how this binding worked and possibly how sorcerous bindings work in general. Which might be a hard sell or not, depending on your ST and how much of an Occult expert you feel Iay is. Possibly whether Introducing Facts is in the quickstart rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X