No announcement yet.

What is the Wyld like

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which isn't to say that it can't spit out a doppelganger of somebody claiming to be from the future with portents of doom or some crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
      TV Tropes. Just..... TV Tropes. Stories and aspects of stories, but sentient.
      ​Well, here's the question; are we elaborating on what the Wyld as portrayed or alluded to in the books would be, or individual ideas and preferences?

Originally posted by Boston123
      picture a videogame. Preferably, a sandbox, and you've got the whole book of cheatcodes in front of you. You can do basically whatever you want.

All those NPC's you see wandering around? Do some wacky things with them! It isn't like they are real people........ right?

Up until your cheat codes stop working, and you can't load from the last save.
      ​That's... odd. As an analogy, it seems to disappear into itself at the end there.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        Nitpick: Time may be wonky in the Wyld, but it still can't take you directly backward - you can spend 500 years in there and come out the same week you entered, or spend one minute there and come out with a year having passed, but you can't go in and exit into the week before you entered.
        I think that goes part and parcel with the 'Stuff Primordials forced upon the Wyld'. Causality is said to be made by the Primordials and such the Wyld is forced to always go forward. The ability to do time travel stories/metastories became impossible to do like other some narratives and some Raksha wants to destroy Creation to bring back the possibility of those narratives happening again. Could make a good idea for a Raksha enemy and tie in to the Era of Cascading Years from the 2nd Ed First Age thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          Which isn't to say that it can't spit out a doppelganger of somebody claiming to be from the future with portents of doom or some crap.
          Very true. Sorta like how I ran Dark Barbus. (Note: Not Reflection Barbus. Dark Barbus is another story.)
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-09-2017, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned using fairy tales as inspiration yet. Cats wearing boots and shapeshifting Ogres. Cottages made of candy inhabited by cannibal hags who enslave and torture their victims before eating them. Castles where the furniture speaks and sings and dances, ruled by beasts in fine clothing. Trees that produce jewels instead of fruit. Any old story where a plucky young hero or heroine sets out to seek their fortune and meet strangers on their journey who curse them or bestow magical gifts or wisdom, where the relative locations and distance between places are vague and unimportant. It's easy to forget when all the books talk about is the high concept stuff, but these are the kind of events that the Wyld is designed to facilitate.

Comment

If you care to look, there's a couple of old stories that Barbus' trip into the Wyld touched on.
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-08-2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                If you care to look, there's a couple of old stories that Barbus' trip into the Wyld touched on.
                Yeah, that's a great example of just how well this stuff adapts to Exalted. That's a pretty nice piece of work!

Comment

Looney toons. Seriously. Go watch some Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck, especially the ones where they're casually ignoring physics. Duck Amuck is a really good one, if you can find it. Here's a partial clip: https://youtu.be/nAA3DCEkVHs

Alternately, watch Who Framed Rodger Rabbit, because that movie really plays up just how alien the Toons are to the humans and vice versa.

Comment

honestly i imagine the wyld as being a bit like the que continuum. it defies all explanation, it is both infinite chaos and infinite order and yet neither of those things all in one, there are being that live there and they can shape it to the limits of thier imagination, and in many cases this takes the shape like something completely different from everything in creation, but in other cases it is shaped very much like creation for the same reason that when you are looking at an abstract picture that can be anything, but once you see that one image in it it becomes impossible to see it as anything else, but mostly i think of it this way because i imagine the fae as being similar to the que, and that they have been doing this for so long that they have settled into routines that they can no longer defy and it is just a boring repetition of events, the events may be beyond our understanding but it cliche to them, but it is the nature of the continuum/wyld to be perceived by those who are in it, so when someone not indigenous to that reality, but to one where existence is more substantial, the continuum/wyld becomes more substantial in order to be capable of being perceived, not necessarily understood, but perceived.

this is of course based mostly on voyager's portrayal of the que and the continuum.

Comment

Working...
                    X