Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Martial Arts always descend from Brawl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, next question: if you Favor Brawl, do you now have eleven Caste/Favored Abilities?

Comment

I tend to require the Martial Arts Merit if you want to learn Martial Arts Charms. I allow characters to learn the Martial Arts Abilities without the Merit and they must have one Martial Arts Ability at 3+ to purchase the Merit. I have also adapted the sorcery rules to martial arts, so I can have mortal martial artist learn and use Martial Arts Charms without an Essence Pool. In addition, I seperate Brawl and Martial Arts and allow every Caste to choose Martial Arts as a Caste/Supernatural Ability.

Comment

How do mortal martial arts get motes to fuel their charms, in your rules, Aya Tari?

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
        OK, next question: if you Favor Brawl, do you now have eleven Caste/Favored Abilities?
        Yes, that's exactly right.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          Yes, that's exactly right.
          Technically 11+, since every style uses a different Ability.

Comment

Likewise with Craft.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              How do mortal martial arts get motes to fuel their charms, in your rules, Aya Tari?
              They use a gather chi action (similar to a shape sorcery action) to gather chi motes (similar to sorcery motes). Chi motes can be used to fuel Charms associated with the Martial Arts Ability used to gather the chi. Mortals pay a surcharge equal to the minimum Essence of the Charms but mortals otherwise ignore minimum Essence requirements.

Comment

There is also synergy to be had that isn't directly combining charms. Brawl's charms are *extremely* offense-focused, so you can use Brawl to plug holes in your style if it doesn't have good withering or good decisive attacks.

Comment

Which Brawl Charms can be used with Martial Arts Charms? On p. 426, 3e specifically forbids any mixing unless specifically allowed by the Charms in question.

Comment

Iron Battle Focus, Thunderclap Rush Attack (this is a big one), Reckless Fury Discard (the Evasion option), One With Violance, Lightning Strikes Twice, Striving Aftershock Method, Inevitable Victory Meditation (Evasion version), Heaven Fury Smite, and Ascendent Vattle Visage.

Of particular note is also Brawl's various Clash attacks, as that is a niche not many Martial Arts charms add to.

My question, honestly, is what does MA add to a high Brawl concept rather than the other way around.

Comment

Lighting Strikes Twice. Thunderclap Rush Attack, and Heaven Fury Smite do not allow combination with MA Charms, but they can be used with MA attacks. Thank you for sharing the rest though.
                      Last edited by Aya Tari; 04-30-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

The evasion options of Reckless Fury Discard and Inevitable Victory Meditation are actually not compatable with MA, because it is still a Brawl Charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post

They use a gather chi action (similar to a shape sorcery action) to gather chi motes (similar to sorcery motes). Chi motes can be used to fuel Charms associated with the Martial Arts Ability used to gather the chi. Mortals pay a surcharge equal to the minimum Essence of the Charms but mortals otherwise ignore minimum Essence requirements.
                          I'm sorry to resurrect a two week old post but I'm very intrigued by this idea, can you elaborate on it more? Do you have specific methods of gathering chi, are they determined by what your first martial art is, similar to how your first spell determines some aspects of your other spells?

For instance, having the magma kraken as your control spell or having the ifrit shaping ritual gives your spells firey aspects in different ways.
                          If I were to take righteous devil for my "control martial art" would that also effect my other martial arts and li gathering similarly?

Comment

Well, in the case of my home rules, every martial art would have its own type of gather chi action. In the case of Righteous Devil, the gather chi action may be the process of cleaning the firewand before and after reloading. In the case of Snake Style, it would be languid katas. In every case, I would allow the gather chi action within a flurry (unlike the shape sorcery action).

After the practitioner gather chi motes for a particular Style, they could then use the Charms of that Style. Any turn without gathering chi would reduce the amount of chi motes gathered by three chi motes, meaning that the mortal must use it or lose it. If the practitioner wishes to use multiple Charms during a turn, they will have to gather sufficient chi motes to fuel every Charm (I am capping the chi mote storage at 5 * Martial Arts to avoid massive storage before battle).

So, in the case of a mortal practitioner with Dexterity 5 and Martial Arts (Righteous Devil) 5, they could flurry an attack and a gather chi action during the first turn (gathering 3 chi motes), flurry a take cover action and a gather chi action during their second turn (gaining an additional 3 chi motes), flurry a reload action and a gather chi action during their third turn (gaining another 3 chi motes), and activate Righteous Devil Form during their fourth action (reducing them to 2 chi motes, which goes down to 0 chi motes by the end of the turn because the character did not gather chi). Now that they have Righteous Devil Form operating though, they can benefit from its special effects for the scene.
                            Last edited by Aya Tari; 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Heh, Aya Tari, lol, you had the exact same idea as me :-)

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...vers-and-lakes

Comment

Well, slightly different interpretations, but it is all good. Until we get an official version, we get to play around with it as much as we want.

Comment

Working...
                                X