Martial Arts House Rule (PEACH)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts House Rule (PEACH)

I suggested this when the pdf first came out, but now that people have had more time with the game I was hoping I could get more informed feeback.

Martial Arts Charms are gated the way they are because the advantages in the way Charms from different styles can stack together, and the ability to spend Solar XP on them. That makes perfect sense, but is a high price for characters who aren't necessarily utilizing those advantages.

So my proposal is that WITHOUT the "Solar Martial Artist" Merit, characters can still buy Martial Arts Style dots, and Exalted can buy Charms for them, but Charms from different styles are treated as though they are from different abilities, and you can't spend Solar XP on Martial Arts Charms.

With the "Solar Martial Artist" Merit, the rules apply as written in the core.

The result of this, I believe, is that the Merit is a must for characters whose concept lies in being Martial Arts masters, but is not necessary for characters who want to dabble in one style that happens to fit their specific concept.

Thoughts on the balance?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Sounds significantly better that the rules as written.

Comment

Sounds good to me as well. This would fix issues that characters like Swan might have on spending about half their starting merits to access a single Martial Arts tree when that's the only real style they're looking at taking.

Comment

I also like that this applies for mortals, as well.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          I also like that this applies for mortals, as well.

Yeah, as the rules currently stand, there's no reason Mortals should need a gating Merit to stop them from just buying ability dots in a Martial Arts style. Without charms they have none of the advantages that result in said need.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            Yeah, as the rules currently stand, there's no reason Mortals should need a gating Merit to stop them from just buying ability dots in a Martial Arts style. Without charms they have none of the advantages that result in said need.
            I wouldn't say there's NO reason, given that a single Martial Arts Ability usually grants them the power to make bare-handed attacks and parries with the same Ability dots they use to make attacks and parries with weapons.

However, not all of them do that, and the specific nature of the bare-handed practice of the Style can limit the kinds of stunts and Gambits a character can perform, whereas Brawl is very open-ended in its possibilities.

So, it's not a majorly unbalancing deal one way or the other.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I understand the rule for Exalts; my thinking is the same. For my own games I changed Martial Artist to be a two tiered merit, ** and ****. The ** version allows you full access to one style. If you want to buy more later, you can buy the other 2 dots of the merit with XP.

On the other hand, the constant need to justify things in-setting by their mechanics with regards to mortals is a puzzler. What are you actually accomplishing by doing this unless you have mortal PC's?

Incentive is not permission or justification.

Comment

Originally posted by ParanoiaCombo View Post
                I understand the rule for Exalts; my thinking is the same. For my own games I changed Martial Artist to be a two tiered merit, ** and ****. The ** version allows you full access to one style. If you want to buy more later, you can buy the other 2 dots of the merit with XP.

On the other hand, the constant need to justify things in-setting by their mechanics with regards to mortals is a puzzler. What are you actually accomplishing by doing this unless you have mortal PC's?
                Because many people feel better when the mechanical rigor required to make any kind of PC you might eventually want to make is done in advance.

Comment

So my proposal is that WITHOUT the "Solar Martial Artist" Merit, characters can still buy Martial Arts Style dots, and Exalted can buy Charms for them, but Charms from different styles are treated as though they are from different abilities, and you can't spend Solar XP on Martial Arts Charms.
                  What exactly do you mean by this?

Comment

I think Vance's suggestion that you can just waive purchasing the charm for your mortal martial artist if you want to save them the time was a very reasonable and clean fix for the problem of mortals accessing MA. Paranoia's seems like a nice and simple way to do limited access too.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

What exactly do you mean by this?

That they don't combo?

Comment

Originally posted by ParanoiaCombo View Post

1) I was thinking about Mortal PCs. I don't know why you'd think I wasn't.

2) My rule change is meant to cover Exalted single-stylists who aren't focused on Martial Arts with the same mechanical fox as for Mortals.

Comment

1) I was thinking about Mortal PCs. I don't know why you'd think I wasn't.

2) My rule change is meant to cover Exalted single-stylists who aren't focused on Martial Arts with the same mechanical fox as for Mortals.
                          Yeah sorry, I inferred something from your second post that wasn't there. That's my bad! I'm used to arguments about MA being useless for mortals being predicated on the idea that it gives them 0 mechanical edge, usually not into the context of PC mortals, just reconciling world-mechanics issues. Again, my bad! I hope your rule works our for your group, it looks good.

Incentive is not permission or justification.

Comment

Working...
                          X