Aurhichtonians without soulgems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurhichtonians without soulgems

According to manuals an authochtonian which lose his soul gem, turn into something like a zombie.

But what happens if someone (maybe born in the Reaches) never got a soul gem implanted in his head?

They're a completely normal human. Autochonians aren't born without souls. Soul gems store souls, but only for the purposes of tagging and making alchemicals. They let the soul go afterwards to find a new life.

The Zombie thing involves pulling the soul into the gem while the body is still alive and then yanking it out.

Comment

Yeah. Humans are born with souls in Autochthonia. Then they implant the soul gem, which effectively takes the person's soul and stores it in the gem. But since it's still attached to them, this isn't a big deal. If, however, you tear someone's soul gem off, then you basically rip out their soul turning them into a zombie.

Of course, many people in Autochthonia believe that, in fact, humans are born without souls. And the soul gem itself is what provides the baby with a soul. As such they don't believe that those born in the reaches actually possess souls.

Comment

There are a couple of mistakes there.

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
        Then they implant the soul gem, which effectively takes the person's soul and stores it in the gem.
        The soul only enters the gem upon death; at all other times, it's just a normal rock welded to your head.

Originally posted by AnubisXy
        If, however, you tear someone's soul gem off, then you basically rip out their soul turning them into a zombie.
        ​A special ritual has to be performed for that to work. I cannot recall if it ever elucidates on what normally happens if the gem is removed from a still-living person, but I would assume that it at least causes grievous injury or requires extremely delicate surgery, considering how it is attached by a metal plate.

Originally posted by AnubisXy
        Of course, many people in Autochthonia believe that, in fact, humans are born without souls. And the soul gem itself is what provides the baby with a soul. As such they don't believe that those born in the reaches actually possess souls.
        ​See, in Ink Monkeys, Compass: Authochthonia and Time of Tumult, it was stated that people believed that the gem saved souls from the Void after death, not that they were responsible for having a soul in the first place.

​But then there was the adventure supplement in Exalted: the Autochthonians, that I gather stated that their first impression of people in Creation was that they had no souls.

​Given the source, I'm willing to assume that that little fact was introduced by people who didn't know what prior material had stated, and for the sake of maximizing arbitrary conflict.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
          ​But then there was the adventure supplement in Exalted: the Autochthonians, that I gather stated that their first impression of people in Creation was that they had no souls.
          That works then. I didn't realize the idea had been changed so significantly between editions. I wonder what it will be like when 3rd edition gets around to Autochthonia.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

That works then. I didn't realize the idea had been changed so significantly between editions.
            ​Like I said, the information from Ink Monkeys and Compass is about the same as back in Time of Tumult. I have yet to read Exalted: the Authochthonians, so I don't know whether its setting sections also describes that part of Autochthonian society, but the point about how the people understand the gem to draw in an already present soul at death was established first.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
              According to manuals an authochtonian which lose his soul gem, turn into something like a zombie.
              You are conflating the Slaves and the Undying, though these are very much complementary.

​Slaves are an underclass of Lumpen who have their soulgem removed through a revocation ritual, drawing out their souls and leaving their husks passive and pliant; much like a dream eaten victim of the fair folk. They are living, but soulless. It is legal punishment for the worst criminals.

​The Undying use a thaumaturgical ritual to prevent the soul-gem from absorbing their souls when they suicide, resulting in becoming ghosts animating their own corpses. They then preserve and repair themselves using other rituals, as their animated corpse can not heal. They are soulful, but dead. It is an illegal conspiracy among the upper class.

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
              But what happens if someone (maybe born in the Reaches) never got a soul gem implanted in his head?
              Nothing actually happens to them. They are still part of Autochthonia's reincarnation cycle, but their souls are drawn directly into the Radiant Amphora of Celestial Accumulation, rather than going through the assessment process that identifies possible heroic souls.

However, a common doctrinal fallacy is that their souls are lost to the void.
              Last edited by Greyman; 04-11-2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X