No announcement yet.

Sidereals, Resplendent Destinies, and Demon: the Descent Covers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about this again today, and about Blackwell's great suggestions for Resplendencies (I think they really work well to square the circle between what people are looking for in the Cover mechanic with what Sidereals are), and a couple other ideas sprung to mind as variations on the theme "casting a little god in the role of a person who doesn't exist" (and I feel bound to bump this day old thread to inflict these ideas on the world):

- Casting a demon or Fair Folk in that position, as an extension of the Sidereal's charms to con chaos and their Exalted power to bind demons. Heaven is often chronically short of resources! The rolls of glorious divinity cannot always spare one of their number. Why not put out a contact and make a deal? Perhaps a Blood Ape with an illusion bound around to appear human might *perhaps* eat a few kittens from time to time, but nothing could go seriously wrong, surely?

- For Getimians, if they have anything akin to Arcane Fate, finding the threads of people written out of Fate, and literally writing them back in as personal relationships running off the Getimian's Loom. Could strike a nice balance between being both altruistic and roughly in keeping with their "mission" to correct destiny's injustice... and questionably self serving.

Comment

So, is everybody really this comfortable with ignoring the Astrological (as in "constellation-related") aspects of Resplendent Destinies? Because I'm seeing a lot of discussion about RDs as disguises and as a means for hiding out among the hoi polloi, but very little consideration of the concept of RDs as astrological archetypes.

I may not be a fan of Creation's version of the zodiac (do they really need a Mast and a Pillar? And how uninspiring does an arrangement of stars have to be to bring to mind "The Rising Smoke?"), but I am extremely fond of Sidereal Astrology as a concept, of each Resplendent Destiny conforming to a zodiacal archetype, and even of the quirky, inconsistent power levels of the RD powers.*

I'm familiar with D:tD's Cover mechanic, and though it's fine for Demons, I'm just not feeling it at all for Sidereals and Exalted. Demons have to fear the all-seeing eye of their Big Bad finding them, so Cover makes sense. Sidereals are the all-seeing eye, and they only have to worry about being unmasked by their peers or their lessers. Such thorough identity-weaving seems unnecessary, IMHO.

*And by inconsistent, I mean that it ranges from "If you act like a tyrant while captaining, your men won't question your orders!" to "oh yeah, you summon Adorjan."

Comment

Originally posted by 39Steps View Post
        I'm familiar with D:tD's Cover mechanic, and though it's fine for Demons, I'm just not feeling it at all for Sidereals and Exalted. Demons have to fear the all-seeing eye of their Big Bad finding them, so Cover makes sense. Sidereals are the all-seeing eye, and they only have to worry about being unmasked by their peers or their lessers. Such thorough identity-weaving seems unnecessary, IMHO.
        Agreed, and I think Demons are more comparable to Getimians, anyway. The Sidereals are the Angels.

Comment

So, is everybody really this comfortable with ignoring the Astrological (as in "constellation-related") aspects of Resplendent Destinies? Because I'm seeing a lot of discussion about RDs as disguises and as a means for hiding out among the hoi polloi, but very little consideration of the concept of RDs as astrological archetypes.
          Right now, they're both; the identity you create aligns with the archetype of the College you created it from. I don't see why that would have to change if the mechanics associated with the identity were shored up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
            - Casting a demon or Fair Folk in that position, as an extension of the Sidereal's charms to con chaos and their Exalted power to bind demons. Heaven is often chronically short of resources! The rolls of glorious divinity cannot always spare one of their number. Why not put out a contact and make a deal? Perhaps a Blood Ape with an illusion bound around to appear human might *perhaps* eat a few kittens from time to time, but nothing could go seriously wrong, surely?
            I think that's great and Sidereal-y, but I'd want some carrot/stick mechanics to make it clear why a Sidereal would ever actually do that. They tend to be arrogant, but not reckless. Surely there are enough unemployed gods milling about (and heck, elementals are practically a renewable resource) that an agent of Heaven acting on official business would never need to resort to roping a monster into her Astrology just because there's no one else available. But if there's some kind of concrete situational incentive to use a Fair Folk or Demon rather than a more friendly spirit, then you've seeded an interesting story about hubris. "It was worth the risk" is written on many a Sidereal tombstone.
            Last edited by Blackwell; 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's so much ignoring it as not really feeling like it needs any adjustments. The worst criticism I think I can level against the actual constellations and the associated powers is that they're fairly repetitive in places, and I can't really tell if that's due to wanting to cover bases in each caste (like the "can't be found but you only have a small amount of free time in a week" powers) or 75 or so unique powers was too tall an order for a subsystem.

The mechanics, on the other hand, have always stunk out loud: they're dull, most of them are unnecessary, blessings and curses are completely fiat-driven without even guidelines, the resplendency powers range from completely useless even by Sidereal "You're supposed to be creative and look for edge cases" standards to laughably broken, and to put the shit cherry on the shit sundae treats the entire thing like it's this amazingly useful and overpowered system that you must be punished for using.

So, ya'know, there's a fair bit more to discuss on that side of things.

Have you ever read a Coik post before, man? lol
              -Holden

Comment

Yeah, I think the constellation and stuff are fine and they provide a great flavor and archetypes of people that are cool. RDs anchored by the constellations is the flavor that I'd like to see.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Working...
                X