Neph discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neph discussion thread

Since the thread in while we were discussing Neph was lock I decided that Neph deserves his own thread.

I'll get this thread started.

For those that don't know, Neph was one of if not the most prominent authors of 2e Exalted. He helped to write the Core Rulebook, gave us Abyssals and Infernals, stated the Incarnae, and started the Ink Monkeys blog among many other accomplishments. He was also largely responsible for bring the Exalted back from the brink of extinction with his efforts in Infernals and later products. He is noted for his talent in writing clear and functional game mechanics that helped to evoke the tone of the setting.

If it wasn't already obvious, I'm a huge fan of his work, and would be ecstatic if he were to start writing for Exalted again.

Anyway discuss, share your thoughts and feelings about Neph.

I don't know about other people but I found the information in the Malfeas and Inferals book related to the Yozi/Primodials/Neverboarn to be the most compelling material to play exalted because it brought the mythos something you simply could not find in other games. Most other games that had any level focus on cosmic power did so in a way that was distant or insta-death. I know people consider stating up the super cosmic entities = major shark jumping but I felt is was a great way to focus a late stage Solar game.

Craft rewrite.

Comment

I don't know what I think of Neph because way too much stuff went on behind the scenes and this community has a historical tendency to make a scapegoat of the writers and developers who don't come here and interact with us.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

I think Michael Goodwin is quite talented, but when it came to Exalted specifically, he put too much of himself into what he wrote.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
          I don't know what I think of Neph because way too much stuff went on behind the scenes and this community has a historical tendency to make a scapegoat of the writers and developers who don't come here and interact with us.
          Neph had a very long history of very positive interactions with the community. The other thread showed there are still people that think highly of him, I'm still getting new likes every day in that thread despite it being locked.

Neph may have left on bad terms but it wasn't with the community if he did.

Comment

I was a late-comer to the game line, so I don't know if Neph is responsible for the stuff I loved about Infernals, the stuff I loathed, or a mix. He wasn't the Lillun author, was he?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
              I was a late-comer to the game line, so I don't know if Neph is responsible for the stuff I loved about Infernals, the stuff I loathed, or a mix. He wasn't the Lillun author, was he?
              No. He wrote the charmset.

Part of the issue with the book was that the people who wrote the first half (with Lillun, etc) weren't even in communication with the people who wrote the second half (the charmset, the artifacts, the storytelling chapter, etc). The developer at the time was very hands-off, didn't give much direction, and didn't do anything to reconcile the differences. That's why there's a disconnect between the themes in each half.
              Last edited by Aquillion; 04-19-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks! The charms definitely go in the "pro" column for me.

Comment

Hmm... I kind of wrote what I thought of his contributions in the other thread, but since this a whole new thread...

Do find it hard to assess value of Neph's contributions - I confess I don't care a great deal about them on balance, when thinking about the parts of the setting I care about, but I don't know if this is because he wrote them poorly, or... I just don't care as much about Evil!, gothic horror deathknights, dwarven space marines, communist robots who are not from Creation, etc, and whatever anyone did with them would go to the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                    Neph had a very long history of very positive interactions with the community.
                    That's not what I'm questioning.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Neph was a great guy and a talented writer. I learned more about gaming from reading his posts than I ever did reading a WW ST chapter. I don't know that his style would gel well with Ex3, but my favorite never-will-be RPG is an Exalted edition done start to finish with him as the lead dev.

Comment

No, I've said more than I'm comfortable with.
                        Last edited by Isator Levi; 04-10-2017, 08:29 PM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                          Neph was a great guy and a talented writer. I learned more about gaming from reading his posts than I ever did reading a WW ST chapter. I don't know that his style would gel well with Ex3, but my favorite never-will-be RPG is an Exalted edition done start to finish with him as the lead dev.
                          Despite my feeling that certain elements of his writing would be a very poor fit for the direction 3E is going, I did enjoy much of what he wrote and his presence here on the forums, and I'm sorry if my posts in the other thread gave the impression that I felt otherwise. After breaking with Exalted, Neph talked about working on his own setting that would feature player characters with powers along the lines of what he had done with Infernals, and I've always been dissappointed that nothing seems to have ever come of it. It would have been cool to see what he would have come up with, given complete creative freedom.

Totentanz, in the other thread you mentioned that you still saw elements in his thinking in 3E. If you're willing to expound on that, I doubt I'd be the only one to find it interesting, and this thread seems like an appropriate place for it.

Comment

Neph had great ideas. Not all worked crunchwise (Akuma just always seemed to have trouble), but for the most part his fluff was excellent.

I was shown a few scraps of some of his homebrew once. Even that was awesome and made me want more.

Comment

I never had a sour response from Neph or saw him lose his temper on the forums and I liked his work. I'd welcome him back to the Exalted line if they invited him. Not much more to say on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X