Getimians, what we know, what we suspect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getimians, what we know, what we suspect

Getimians are the most interesting new splat. Obviously my opinion on this is immutable fact and none can question it (sorry, Liminal lovers. I'm sure that sick burn can be healed by tossing it off and finding some new corpse to integrate into your body.)

Anyway, I'm trying to gather what we know about them, and what we speculate, so I can use them as npc's and forces of nature in my own campaign.

It seems:
    * Rhakun Thul, a Sidereal, rebels against fate, punches off Saturn's killing blade, then walks off his job.
    - Side Note: I'm not super happy about his canonical reasoning for doing so. Loss of his lover? Classic, but a little bland. There can be so much more there! Fate, Heaven, and the Maidens do so much harm in the name of the "Greater Good," I can easily see some major philosophical, intractable difference there to explore.

* He finds the Getimians power, which have apparently always been there, but perhaps not utitlized? Trapped? Not refined? Not defined enough yet until observed? That seems to lend itself to some quantum mechanics logic there, which could be interesting to counter Sidereal's Newtonian mechanics.

* Getimians have spiders that crawl up and down their spines, weaving their own personal loom of reality. Rogue pattern spiders?

* Have elements of Yin-Yang in them.

I'm not sure how people Exalt. I believe that they have to be removed from the loom, left adrift, and hope that this colony of spiders....colonizes their soul? That's how I've described it to my players. "They are ordinary people, who through no fault or merit of their own found themselves swept outside of fate by greater powers, and now are given the chance to be a large player."

What I do know is interesting, but I'm still trying to hammer out an idea that I can use, so any information or speculation is helpful.

We also know that their powers might work differently based on which pool they're activated from, and that both pools are equal (at least as of a couple years ago, thing may have changed)

So far, I've been picturing them as Timeline manipulators (in part because of Mage the Awakening's Fate/Time duality) – not actual time-travel, but effects that look like time-travel to the outside observer, like being in several places at the same time through a time loop, retroactively changing the objects at a scene, stuff like that. Similar to Sidereal Fate-retcons, but justified through different fluff.

Former bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
    Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
      We also know that their powers might work differently based on which pool they're activated from, and that both pools are equal (at least as of a couple years ago, thing may have changed)

So far, I've been picturing them as Timeline manipulators (in part because of Mage the Awakening's Fate/Time duality) – not actual time-travel, but effects that look like time-travel to the outside observer, like being in several places at the same time through a time loop, retroactively changing the objects at a scene, stuff like that. Similar to Sidereal Fate-retcons, but justified through different fluff.
      Agreed. Being a fan of Nocturnals, there's going to be a lot of inspiration from them that I'll be drawing from. Lots of things that revolve around "Temporal Shenanigans"--which is not breaking time, but bending it enough that it can form loops and do screwy things that doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post
        - Side Note: I'm not super happy about his canonical reasoning for doing so. Loss of his lover? Classic, but a little bland. There can be so much more there! Fate, Heaven, and the Maidens do so much harm in the name of the "Greater Good," I can easily see some major philosophical, intractable difference there to explore.
        Thulio believed that a destiny had been forged to take his lover away from him. On the surface, that seems like a bland "scorned lover" story.

But what if it's true? Then it becomes interesting. Why would someone do that? Was it a person who coveted Thulio's lover? Was it someone else for reasons unknown? Was Thulio's actions foreseen and it was Thulio's destiny that was forged? Did someone need Thulio to get in with the Getimians for the greater good of Creation?
        Last edited by Ekorren; 04-11-2017, 01:00 PM.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

Comment

Also, having personally felt the effects of fate, he might well have started to consider all the philosophical ramifications, effects on people's lives, etc. It might have started out about him, but become about principle.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Yeah, I thought more he had never contemplated the Injustice of Fate until he found himself on the wrong side of it. Then he saw the tendrils it wove everywhere and decided to create a world where nothing was preordained and everyone had a chance at forging the results they wanted.

Comment

Eh.... I mean, there's so little written about him and what there is speaks about how "the love of his life chose another." When there is so little to go on, and that seems to be so prominent in his story, it just makes him seem....petty.

It's just a sentence, but every sentence counts with such limited information. It's just my minor gripe about how the first glance of Getimians is: A. About a Sidereal, and B. About a seemingly petty Sidereal.

There are ways to take what is written and make it interesting, as you guys have pointed out. But still, I don't want a repeat of 2e Ma-Ha-Suchi and Rahksi.

Comment

This is also a somewhat nebulous topic in Exalted: they say Heaven had made him a great injustice when the love of his life chose another... what's the status of free will in Exalted?

On a side note, I'm torn on the way Thulio cheated Death Herself "with blasphemous power". On the one hand, I want to know more; on the other, this is exactly the kind of thing that's perfect to leave vague and hazy to get people to think of their own mythic-magic-bullshit methods that aren't mechanics-driven.

Like the ending of Inception, but actually good.
                (I enjoyed the movie, but that ending was a cop-out)

Former bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Working...
                X