Solar Argonauts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Argonauts?

As an experiment, I wrote up a Perfect Circle of Greek Mythic Heroes as Solar Exalted. I'm curious if anyone would be interested in me sharing them?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

*De-lurk* By all means, do share. *Re-lurk*

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Do it! Pull that trigger, now!

(By all means, I'd like to see it. )

Comment

Two assumptions going in: we're using the Riverlands for Greece, and I'm using the "advanced character" Essence 2 starting rules. They still have plenty of room to grow over the course of their mythic arcs of course.

Heracles (born Alcides)

Concept: Penance-Bound Incarnation of Virility and Prowess
        Caste: Dawn
        Anima: Lion

Attributes
        Str *****
        Dex ***
        Sta *****

Cha ****
        Man **
        App ***

Per **
        Int **
        Wits ***

Supernal/Caste/Favored Abilities
        Brawl: *****
        Archery: ****
        Athletics: *****
        Awareness: **
        Melee: *
        Presence:*
        Resistance: ***
        Survival: ***
        Thrown: *
        War: ***

Other Abilities
        Craft (Earthworks): ***
        Integrity: *
        Lore: *

Specializations: Displays of Prowess, Wrestling, Hunting, Farming

Merits:
        Mighty Thew (***)
        Boundless Endurance (**)
        Command (**)
        Artifact (***) [Nemean Lion skin armor]
        Artifact (***) [Hydra fang powerbow]
        Fast Reflexes (***)
        Retainer (**) [Iolaus]

WP: 5
        Essence: 2
        Limit Trigger: Someone taking what is his (breaks tend to be violent rages)
        Intimacies:
        Megera & Children (Guilt - Defining)
        People Should Fight for What is Theirs (Principle - Defining)
        Iolaus (Responsibility - Major)
        Euryotheus (Contempt - Minor)

Charms

Brawl: Fist of Iron Technique, Ferocious Jab, Heaven Thunder Hammer, Vicious Lunge, Unbreakable Grasp, Devil-Strangling Attitude, Dragon Coil Technique, Ten Calamities Technique, Titan-Straightening Method, Crashing Wave Throw

Archery: Wise Arrow, Sight Without Eyes, Force Without Fire

Athletics: Increasing Strength Exercise, Tex Ox Meditation

Craft: Craftsman Needs No Tools

Resistance: Ox-Body Technique

Survival: Hardship Surviving Mendicant Spirit

War: War God Descendant, Holistic Battle Understanding

[So this should be approximately around the time Heracles and completed his first two labors (which his Artifacts are trophies from), establishing himself a great slayer of monsters and breaking into Essence 2. On the quest for the Golden Hind now that he's essence 2 he'll learn Trackless Region Navigation and Unshakeable Bloodhound Technique, as well as continue to build up his Athletics feats-of-strength Charms. By the time he's on Labor Eight (the Mares of Diomedes) he'll meet up with Orpheus in Not-Thrace who will educate him in the Occult enough for Heracles to learn to wrestle gods, and then the two will travel with Jason toward the Dreaming Sea as Heracles seeks the Girdle of Hippolyta. By the time Heracles is holding up the Dome of Heaven, he'll be Essence 5.]

[I'm pretty proud of giving him Craft Earthworks and Craftsman Needs No Tool, as together with his Strength Enhancing Athletics Charms it will allow for things like the cleaning of the Aegean Stables]

Comment

Orpheus

Concept: Lovelorn Musician on Brink of Religious Revelation
          Caste: Zenith
          Anima: Spiral of Songbirds

Attributes
          Str **
          Dex ***
          Sta **

Char ****
          Man ***
          App ****

Per ***
          Int ***
          Wits ***

Performance: *****
          Awareness: *
          Brawl: *

Dodge: ***
          Integrity: ***
          Linguistics: *
          Lore: ***
          Martial Arts (Silver Voiced Nightingale Style): ****
          Occult: ***
          Presence: *
          Survival: ***

Other Abilities
          Athletics **
          Socialize *

Specializations: Lyre, Elementals, Singing, Animal-Ken, Legends of the Riverlands

Merits
          Old Realm *
          Forest-Tongue *
          High Realm *
          Martial Arts ****
          Ally *** (Calais)
          Cult **
          Contacts * (via Cult)

Willpower: ******
          Essence: **

Limit Trigger: Witnessing a Pointless Death (breaks tend to be a musically morose existential crisis)

Intimacies
          Eurydice (Love, Dedication - Defining)
          Music is Truth (Principle - Major, demoted from Defining by Eurydice's death)
          Loss of Self (Terror - Major)
          Calais (Desire/Affection - Minor)
          Lookshy (Resentment - Minor; I've got some backstory about how his region of the Riverlands [Not-Thrace] is dominated by a Lookshy military encampment)

Charms
          Performance: Masterful Performance Exercise, Soul-Firing Performance, Respect Commanding Attitude, Phantom-Conjuring Performance, Perfect Harmony Technique, Mood-Inducing Music, Plecteral Harbinger's Approach, Heart Compelling Method, Soul-Stirring Cantata, Seventeen Cycles Symphony (x2)

Dodge: Reed in the Wind

Integrity: Enduring Mental Toughness, Destiny Manifesting Method

Lore: Wyld Dispelling Prana

Martial Arts: Voice of the Nightingale, Inspiring Battle Hymn, Terrifying Battle Shriek, Silver-Voiced Nightingale Form

Occult: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery (Summon Elemental), Spirit Detecting Glance

Survival: Food-Gathering Exercise, Friendship with Animals Approach

[I literally paid for Seventeen Cycles Symphony to exist specifically for Orpheus One trick I'm proud of here was making him a Sorcerer with a musical Shaping Ritual and "Summon Elemental", as it allows for him to bring forth dancing trees and such with his playing as in legend. Food Gathering Exercise and Friendship with Animals Approach are similarly played out through music bringing nature's friendship to him.]

Comment

Asclepius

Concept: Acerbic Enemy of Death
            Caste: Twilight
            Anima: Viper

Attributes
            Str **
            Dex *****
            Sta **

Cha **
            Man ***
            App **

Per ***
            Int *****
            Wits ***

Medicine: *****
            Awareness: ****
            Brawl: *

Dodge: ***
            Integrity: *
            Investigation: ***
            Lore: ***
            Martial Arts (Snake Style): ****
            Occult: *
            Presence: *
            Resistance: ***

Other Abilities:
            Melee: *
            Socialize: *
            Survival ***

Specializations: Poisons, Organ Function, Snakes, Mysteries of Death

Merits
            Martial Artist ****
            Eidetic Memory **
            Retainers *** (his wife and daughters)
            Toxin Resistance **
            Old Realm *
            High Realm *

Willpower: *****

Limit Trigger: Being proven fallible

Intimacies Death is a Treatable Condition [Principle-Defining], Saturn and the purview of Endings [Hate - Major], Snakes [Fascination - Minor], Epione [gratitude - Minor], Daughters [affection - Minor]

Charms
            Medicine: Ailment-Rectifying Method, Plague-Banishing Incitation, Wound Mending Care, Wound-Cleansing Meditation, Flawless Diagnosis Technique, Contagion Curing Touch, Instant Treatment Method, Wound-Banishing Strike, Anointment of Miraculous Health, Body-Sculpting Essence Method, Wholeness Restoring Meditation

Awareness: Sensory Acuity Prana, Keen Taste & Smell Technique, Ken Hearing & Touch Technique, Foe Scenting Method, Eyeless Harbinger Awareness

Investigation: Watchman's Infallible Eye

Lore: Harmonious Academic Method, Wyld Dispelling Prana, Chaos-Repelling Pattern

Martial Arts: Serpentine Evasion, Striking Cobra Technique, Snake Form

[I leaned into the snake symbolism to flesh out the greatest of Greek Mythic Doctors. Personality wise, I think he came out a lot like Greg House - not much of a bedside matter... Obviously he and Orpheus are natural allies in their quest against Death that will likely lead one or both of them to exploring Necromancy]
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-12-2017, 02:15 AM.

Comment

[space reserved for Autolycus]

Comment

Jason

Concept: Swashbuckling Captain Off to Reclaim His Crown
                Caste: Eclipse
                Anima: Feminine eyes of his past self, same as those painted on his ship

Attributes
                Str ***
                Dex ***
                Sta ***

Cha ****
                Man ***
                App ****

Per ***
                Int **
                Wit **

Sail *****
                Athletics ****
                Awareness ***
                Bureaucracy **
                Melee ****
                Presence *****
                Ride *
                Socialize **
                Thrown ***
                War **

Other Abilities
                Craft (Carpentry) **
                Dodge *
                Lore *
                Resistance ***

Specializations: Shipwright, Seduction, Inspire Teamwork, Sports

Merits
                Artifact *** (Direlance)
                Backing ** (Guild)
                Direction Sense *
                Followers **
                Resources *
                High Realm *
                Guild Cant *
                Firetongue *
                Forest-tongue *

Willpower: *****

Limit Trigger: Achieving a pursued goal (when the hunt/quest/etc is over, he gets bored - when he gets bored, he gets stupid)

Intimacies: Kingdom of his Past Life [Not-Thessaly] (righteous desire - Defining), Argo (Pride - Major), Crew (Loyalty - Major), Dragon-Blooded Social Order (Betrayal - Major), Venus (gratitude - Minor)

Charms
                Sail: Salty Dog Method, Safe Bearing Technique, Ship Claiming Stance, Weather Anticipating Intuition, Hull-Preserving Technique, Hull-Taming Transfusion, Wind Defying Course Technique, Current Cutting Technique, Tide Carried Omens, Chaos-Cutting Galley, Blood & Salt Bondage

Melee: Excellent Strike, One Weapon Two Blows, Dipping Swallow Defense, Bulwark Stance, Solar Counterattack

Presence: Listener-Swaying Argument, Harmonious Presence Method, Excellent Friend Approach

Resistance: Ox-Body Technique (x3)

[So Jason's narrative unlike my other 4 Solar Argonauts, is specifically about reclaiming a crown that is his birthright. That's not unique in Greek Myth of course, but it is on this team, so I leaned into that and tied it to the Usurpation narrative rather than him being a literal lost prince. Furthermore, since Hera doesn't have a close equivalent in the Exalted Pantheon, I decided that the divine female figure who he carried on his back and acts as his adviser is his PREVIOUS SELF. He had a vision of her during his Exaltation. Venus is instead his patron goddess he directs his personal worship toward, for reasons that should be obvious in the source legend.]

[As he already needed to be a sailor for that to be his Supernal Ability in his Exaltation, I decided he had background a tradesman for the Guild before he Exalted (since without the pre-existing identity as a lost prince, he wouldn't be raised in protected isolation by Chiron). This fits better I think for the suave charming seductive swashbuckler he turns out to be than isolated pupil of a centaur]

[
                If it isn't obvious, I imagine Jason as a smirky asshole who you can't help but like. If you're attracted to men, you'd probably want to sleep with him and be annoyed by that]
                Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-15-2017, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I wonder if Heracles ought to have a club as well, but otherwise these look pretty good so far. I look forward to seeing your interpretations of Autolycus and Jason.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
                    I wonder if Heracles ought to have a club as well, but otherwise these look pretty good so far. I look forward to seeing your interpretations of Autolycus and Jason.
                    They'll be the Night caste and Eclipse of this perfect circle, right? An excellent choice of line-up, all together.

On Hercules [I'm pretty proud of giving him Craft Earthworks and Craftsman Needs No Tool, as together with his Strength Enhancing Athletics Charms it will allow for things like the cleaning of the Aegean Stables]. Brilliant! I was also impressed you gave him archery charms. His bowmanship somehow gets neglected often.

On Orpheus [I literally paid for Seventeen Cycles Symphony to exist specifically for Orpheus One trick I'm proud of here was making him a Sorcerer with a musical Shaping Ritual and "Summon Elemental", as it allows for him to bring forth dancing trees and such with his playing as in legend. Food Gathering Exercise and Friendship with Animals Approach are similarly played out through music bringing nature's friendship to him.] Oh, yes, indeed. Zenith Sorcerer is an excellent fit for a legendary musician, poet, prophet, and worshiper of Apollo. Then too, Silver Voiced Nightingale style allows him to be effective in combat without quite breaking character. Sweetness! Did you also consider the possibility of learning the Thaumaturgical Ritual of Exorcism?

On Asclepius [I leaned into the snake symbolism to flesh out the greatest of Greek Mythic Doctors. Personality wise, I think he came out a lot like Greg House - not much of a bedside matter... Obviously he and Orpheus are natural allies in their quest against Death that will likely lead one or both of them to exploring Necromancy] ​ Although you didn't make your Twilight a Sorcerer... yet. Huh. Interesting subversion and I do like that. Snake Style is also a splendid choice, not only for the grecian theme, but also for the medical angle of exploiting pressure points and such.

​Overall some interesting and insightful charm choices that stay true to the mythic source. Very impressive.
                    Last edited by Greyman; 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Heracles with a club is a straight-up brute. Heracles with a bow is in keeping with a more cultured version.

Comment

He uses clubs when he needs to, but I don't think he "has a club" that would be his personal Artifact club. He just picks up branches etc when he needs one.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          He uses clubs when he needs to, but I don't think he "has a club" that would be his personal Artifact club. He just picks up branches etc when he needs one.
                          I don't think it needs to be an artifact, either, but the club is pretty iconic.

Comment

I don't think it needs to be an artifact, either, but the club is pretty iconic.
                            In art yeah. Is it references in the legends though? His most iconic slayings I can think of were by bow or barehanded (the sword and torch necessary for the hydra being an outlier, and i decided to lean into Iolaus being invaluable there as a better swordsman than Heracles, as that fits with Heracles being denied credit for the Labor)
                            Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-12-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                              Did you also consider the possibility of learning the Thaumaturgical Ritual of Exorcism?
                              I think that will be coming as he continues on his path toward the Underworld and has his religious revelations.

Comment

Working...
                              X