Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions About Manses

Hi there. Straight to the point.

1. Inside a manse, how many people can be attuned to it at once? Just the hearthstone bearer or how does it work exactly?

2. Am I the only one who thinks Manse is a terribly overpowered background? I mean, you get for the same dots:
    - A shelter that helps you regain motes
    - ...Plus additional powers (traps and stuff)
    - ...Plus a hearthstone that helps you regain motes while youre away
    - ...Plus additional special powers on the hearthstone, similar to any artifact that, instead of taking motes away because of attunement, lets you fill your essence pool.

Regarding the second question, I dont know if they changed anything of that in Ex3. I read the book per sections, and I decided finishing my series with a heavily edited Second Edition.

Im thinking about removing the special power feature, transforming the hearthstones effects in proper artifacts.

Thanks in advance for your answers and thoughts.

Originally posted by Argonot View Post

1. Inside a manse, how many people can be attuned to it at once? Just the hearthstone bearer or how does it work exactly?
    No limit. Any number of people can attune so long as the Manse's owner (usually the hearthstone bearer) allows it.

2. Am I the only one who thinks Manse is a terribly overpowered background? I mean, you get for the same dots:
    - ...Plus additional special powers on the hearthstone, similar to any artifact that, instead of taking motes away because of attunement, lets you fill your essence pool.

Regarding the second question, I dont know if they changed anything of that in Ex3. I read the book per sections, and I decided finishing my series with a heavily edited Second Edition.

Im thinking about removing the special power feature, transforming the hearthstones effects in proper artifacts.

Thanks in advance for your answers and thoughts.
    It's pretty powerful, yeah, but the manse itself comes with the cost of not being able to move around very much. I think the assumption (which in my experience is true) is that a lot of groups will play nomadic games, moving around Creation and visiting various places — e.g. going from Nexus to Sijan to Gem to Coral Archipelago — and that limits a Manse's worth. Additionally, while you're away, the manse can be squatted and/or destroyed.

But yes, if you're playing a sedentary game, it's very, very useful.
    Not OP though. Resources 5 is just as (if not more) powerful — a Manse can't pay for an army, can't buy a fleet of ships, can't bribe Realm Officials to look the other way, can't secure passage (including food and lodging) across the continent, can't buy materials and labor (e.g. to build another manse) etc.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
    Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
      No limit. Any number of people can attune so long as the Manse's owner (usually the hearthstone bearer) allows it.

It's pretty powerful, yeah, but the manse itself comes with the cost of not being able to move around very much. I think the assumption (which in my experience is true) is that a lot of groups will play nomadic games, moving around Creation and visiting various places — e.g. going from Nexus to Sijan to Gem to Coral Archipelago — and that limits a Manse's worth. Additionally, while you're away, the manse can be squatted and/or destroyed.
      Would this manse give the same amount of essence to every person attuned, or is the number of motes per hour divided among the people there (which seems logical)?

And I get that manses cant move around, which is a huge disadvantage. But you still have the motes-regaining feature through the hearthstone, plus the special power. Again, hearthstones - in practice - feel like artifacts that fill your essence pool.

Comment

Would this manse give the same amount of essence to every person attuned, or is the number of motes per hour divided among the people there (which seems logical)?
        The former - the amount of Essence coursing through even the lowest-rated manses is pretty tremendous, and the mote-drip isn't so much what's available so much as how much power a given character can draw off it.

You might as well compare feeding a family of five off the harvest of a thousand acres of farmland - adding a second family will not meaningfully diminish the ability of the first to eat.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-12-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          The former - the amount of Essence coursing through even the lowest-rated manses is pretty tremendous, and the mote-drip isn't so much what's available so much as how much power a given character can draw off it.
          So, what limits the amount of motes a character can draw is the character him-herself and not the manse rating

Comment

Hi there. I'll answer for EX3, as I'm fuzzy on EX2.

There is just one owner, but others may acquire subattunements. The text on page 161 does not suggest limits on how many. When the owner is on site, they may deny additional attunements, or sever existing ones (Wits+Occult Difficulty 3). If not on site, the owner senses new subattunements but cannot block them.

​Ownership defaults to the first person to attune the site, though may be transferred; a hearthstone is not required for this. However, attunement and ownership will fade some months after leaving the boundaries unless the manse's hearthstone is carried.

​(The Manse Merit is story awarded when you have acquired ownership of both the hearthstone and the manse. Of course, when purchased at character creation it means you have done so in your backstory.)
            A little. ​The manse merit equals the hearthstone merit, the demesne merit, a building with cosmetic magical features, and the ability to travel, enjoy the essence benefits of a demesne, and retain ownership of the manse indefinitely.

In EX3 we will have to wait for Towers of the Mighty before we have rules on acquiring any additional features.

Edit:

It is an area effect enhancing recovery rate, not a distribution of motes. Everyone attuned to the manse/demesne recover essence faster within its boundary, by the set amount.
            And I get that manses cant move around, which is a huge disadvantage. But you still have the motes-regaining feature through the hearthstone, plus the special power. Again, hearthstones - in practice - feel like artifacts that fill your essence pool.
            Correction: Grant an artefact the ability to speed your refill rate. You have to place the hearthstone in an attuned artefact socket to gain this benefit.

Last edited by Greyman; 04-12-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys. Your answers have been really helpful

Comment

So, what limits the amount of motes a character can draw is the character him-herself and not the manse rating
                No, the manse rating determines the number of motes one can draw still, but my point is that one guy or a dozen, they won't be splitting up the hourly rating to determine their respiration.

Comment

Working...
                X