Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3] Machineborn - An alternative setting to Exalted Third Edition

CHECK IT OUT HERE!

I've been writing on an alternative science fiction setting to Exalted Third Edition. I've been a bit nervous about posting it here because of a few reasons: 1) the project is in early stages and it isn't playable yet, 2) there's always a risk of putting yourself out there and sharing a passion project of yours, and then have no one commenting on it, and 3) you find out that it suck.

This is one of those passion projects. I have no idea if it's good or if it's going to be playable, but it's been fun to make for you. I hope you think it'll be fun to read.

Any questions? Suggestions? Healthy criticisms?
    Last edited by Ekorren; 04-17-2017, 07:39 PM.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: August 2, 2017

At first glad this looks amazing! Haven't gotten to really dive into it yet but I fully plan to. What inspired having so many of the nations/organizations divided up all over the world like that?

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
      At first glad this looks amazing! Haven't gotten to really dive into it yet but I fully plan to. What inspired having so many of the nations/organizations divided up all over the world like that?
      Thanks for showing interest in it.

Some of the world factions are mirrors of Creation factions (the UN is the Realm, the UCoEA is an expanded Lookshy, Oceania is the Caul, the Haslan Dominion is the Haslanti League). I wanted some independent nations as well. At first I made the Yù Dynasty into another part of UCoEA, but after some discussion with a friend, we figured out that the break-out of UCoEA (this makes sense after you've read that story in the PDF) would motivate China to break out independently. The idea that China used the calamity to seize more control in Asia made me create the Yù Dynasty. Then finally Gran Colombia was added because I wanted something in South America and I wanted another major faction.

Comment

Haven't gotten to read it yet, but your layout looks beautiful! What program are you using for it?

As far as the content goes, I'll try to take a look at it this weekend and give you a more cromulent discussion. =)

"The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground." -G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by blackwingedheaven View Post
          Haven't gotten to read it yet, but your layout looks beautiful! What program are you using for it?

As far as the content goes, I'll try to take a look at it this weekend and give you a more cromulent discussion. =)
          I'm using Adobe Indesign for the layout and Adobe Photoshop for the art. The majority of the art is licensed from Adobe Stock which gives me the freedom to modify the art to fit my purposes; for that I use Photoshop.

Comment

I like the concept, but I feel like too much effort was made to make it mirror a high tech creation. I find the original content such as the new merits, charms, cybernetics, and such to be the most interesting aspects.

Good work overall I think, I look forward to the guns section when it gets printed.

One thing that might be worth looking into is the fact that Machine born are far easier to mass produce than Exalted, not to mention far more easily tailored to a specific purpose. Imagine a god-reaper, Trojan, or Prime Functionary that creates partial machine born protocols that allow formerly human operatives to function at the machine born level in a limited fashion (3-5 Solar ability protocol sets accessed, or maybe allowing them to get a single attribute of lunar protocols).

Another thing to consider might be a machine born type that was never wholly human or machine. A vat born synthetic life form built from the ground up to be a machine born.

Comment

Originally posted by A Not Quite Simple Soul View Post
              I like the concept, but I feel like too much effort was made to make it mirror a high tech creation.
              Are there any particular hiccups in the mirroring that you dislike? I explained some of the reasons behind the mirroring in the Introduction Chapter. Having mirrored some aspects of the setting makes the transitions of mechanics easier. It's rare to find stuff in the corebook that can't be used in some way in the new setting.

Comment

Mostly the Scarlet empress analogue, and the whole bit with the apocalypse plague. It feels like a giant missed opportunity it doesn't really add much to the setting when maybe the focus should be on how the machine born interact with vast teeming hoards of post modern humans who aren't content to play second banana for the rest of eternity, and have education and technological access to make their views heard. I really liked how the Dragon born came about here as an attempt by humans to become more than minions for the AI developed Machineborn, very 'what if Lex Luthor didn't suffer from chronic supervillainitus?'

Comment

While I admit that I didn't read it fully, what I did read I enjoyed. The Snow Dove program was especially my favourite since it's great that you went through the trouble of creating an Exigent with very few guidelines currently existing and did such a great job with it. Nice job overall, looking forward to Dragons and more Exigents.

Comment

One minor thing is that it's a bit boring to have all the great house analogues simply called 'House name' Corporation. Sure, they're corporations, but corporations can still have more creative names, like 'Mnemon Shipping Incorporated' or 'Cynis Entertainment Conglomerate' and so on.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
                    Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
                    Some Lintha QCs
                    A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

Originally posted by TDS View Post
                      One minor thing is that it's a bit boring to have all the great house analogues simply called 'House name' Corporation. Sure, they're corporations, but corporations can still have more creative names, like 'Mnemon Shipping Incorporated' or 'Cynis Entertainment Conglomerate' and so on.
                      I can understand that criticism. My perspective is that I wanted to go with simply the house name to establish the presence, but they are still mostly blank slates for now. While I've written some information about what kind of direction the corporations can take, they are still massive corporations that the players can do with as they please. For my games, I'm sure that Cynis Corp won't just be Cynis Corp. It will be Cynis Pharmaceuticals (big in the drug trade), Cynis Cybernetics (mostly fashionware), Cynis Entertainment (huge media corporation that produces celebrities), etc. There could be many sub-divisions of each company that specializes in certain fields. A bland name for the corp as a whole gives more creative freedom.

I could write hundreds of pages to elaborate on the different corporations if I wanted to really delve into them, but I don't think it's necessary for this initial writeup. There are also a lot of them, and I think giving them more space right now would make it feel bloated. If I finish this project and people want more, I could easily expand on it with more setting info (I could even write corp-specific cybernetics and such).

Comment

I'm kinda disappointed to find no analog for Gaia or Autochthon in the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                          I'm kinda disappointed to find no analog for Gaia or Autochthon in the setting.
                          I have ideas for Autochthon, but I didn't think it was important to add it at the moment. It's too far out there, literally. If I'd write him in, I'd make Autochthon into a space ship that was sent off earth to bring humanity out to distant stars. The Alchemicals would be the Machineborn created on that voyage. Then there's the potential for a portal to be opened from the ship and back to earth, kind of like Stargate Universe.

How would you incorporate Gaia? I don't really think she's needed and I don't want to force her into the setting unless she adds something to it.

Comment

This is absolutely great... and it's still a work in progress so more good things to come. I for one am looking forward to future developments.

How often will it be updated? Will you be informing us whenever a new chapter or whatever is finished?

Comment

Originally posted by Japomann View Post
                              This is absolutely great... and it's still a work in progress so more good things to come. I for one am looking forward to future developments.

How often will it be updated? Will you be informing us whenever a new chapter or whatever is finished?
                              I'm writing on it pretty much every day. I don't want to overwhelm people with new updates and thread bumps though. I don't want to turn this into a thread where all the posts are made by me telling people I've updated something. I'll make the occasional bump with a list of things I've changed or added. You can also see the date for the last update in my signature. Same goes for other projects of mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X