Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Ex3] Machineborn - An alternative setting to Exalted Third Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Well, I've had a glance and I suppose the first thing I'll say is;

    You're a big fan of Shadowrun and Demon the Descent, aren't you?


    Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
    Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

    Comment


    • #17
      I really dig your production values, and I think you've obviously put a good deal of effort into this.

      For me, I have to say, kind of like Heaven's Reach, it doesn't really quite work. Aesthetically cyberpunk / space opera in the far / near future with Exalted like heroes running around, much yessage. Plus the 3e system might be good for that.

      But what I want in something like that is not to be kind of like going "And why are there these Elemental Warriors in a world based in technology, and real actual physics (or at least, comic book physics!) and not the five elements? Why is are there animalistic shapechangers with moon powers? Why is this hierarchy of celestial over elemental power present when the mythology that backs that is sort of gone?". I get that these are not the literal things they are in Exalted, but it seems like why even have these fairly arbitrary feeling analogies to Exalted's magic that seem out of place in a world based closely on reality.

      I just think the goal works better to make up something a lot more loosely Exalted and more whole cloth (and probably redesigning your powers system). Or where you blend in Exalted more - like Exalted Modern does.

      This is totally preference though, so don't let this feedback get you down. Obviously YMMV, and some people will be able to squint a little and anything like the above is less an issue for them than having callbacks to canon Exalted.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Arian Dynas View Post
        Well, I've had a glance and I suppose the first thing I'll say is;

        You're a big fan of Shadowrun and Demon the Descent, aren't you?
        Never played Shadowrun and never read Demon the Descent. I have read the God-Machine Chronicle though, but that's as close as it gets. I'm more of a Cyberpunk 2020 fan and got into this with that in mind, but I ended up pivoting towards something with less of a retro feel. This setting is a bit of a hybrid between cyberpunk and high sci-fi.

        Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
        I really dig your production values, and I think you've obviously put a good deal of effort into this.

        For me, I have to say, kind of like Heaven's Reach, it doesn't really quite work. Aesthetically cyberpunk / space opera in the far / near future with Exalted like heroes running around, much yessage. Plus the 3e system might be good for that.

        But what I want in something like that is not to be kind of like going "And why are there these Elemental Warriors in a world based in technology, and real actual physics (or at least, comic book physics!) and not the five elements? Why is are there animalistic shapechangers with moon powers? Why is this hierarchy of celestial over elemental power present when the mythology that backs that is sort of gone?". I get that these are not the literal things they are in Exalted, but it seems like why even have these fairly arbitrary feeling analogies to Exalted's magic that seem out of place in a world based closely on reality.

        I just think the goal works better to make up something a lot more loosely Exalted and more whole cloth (and probably redesigning your powers system). Or where you blend in Exalted more - like Exalted Modern does.

        This is totally preference though, so don't let this feedback get you down. Obviously YMMV, and some people will be able to squint a little and anything like the above is less an issue for them than having callbacks to canon Exalted.
        Heaven's Reach is one of the inspirations. I do acknowledge your criticism and I can see where you're coming from. This project is a creative exercise just as much as anything. I think a lot of people would enjoy it just like many people enjoyed the Shards. The setting is just fluff. Some people may be interested in just the systems (like the rules for using computers and vehicles and such), and this could provide a source for that as well.


        Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
          Never played Shadowrun and never read Demon the Descent. I have read the God-Machine Chronicle though, but that's as close as it gets. I'm more of a Cyberpunk 2020 fan and got into this with that in mind, but I ended up pivoting towards something with less of a retro feel. This setting is a bit of a hybrid between cyberpunk and high sci-fi.
          If that's the case you'd enjoy both. And Numenera. And possibly KULT to a lesser extent. Oooh and Unknown Armies.


          Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
          Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

          Comment


          • #20
            Deleted Post
            Last edited by Ekorren; 11-02-2017, 11:47 PM.


            Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

            Comment


            • #21
              So just got home after easter, saw this, and I regret I can only like the first post once. So i'm gonna like every one of your posts in this thread. This is amazing.

              Comment


              • #22
                Another deleted post.
                Last edited by Ekorren; 11-02-2017, 11:47 PM.


                Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

                Comment


                • #23
                  I love love love love the aesthetic and setting. So good. I've always loved sci-fi/cyberpunk aesthetics, and meshing it with Heroes in a Dark Age is such brilliance!

                  Also, technology and protocols are great! I'll read into them in detail soon. I'll hopefully use some of these as inspiration for my own Ex3-System based settings. Here's hoping my players would be up to play this in the first place.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Machineborn should now be playable for mortal characters, but it's still lacking content for Machineborn characters. I'm running a playtest at the moment and will be updating the document more regularly. As of me writing this, it is 127 pages long and includes a 3-page character sheet for mortal characters.


                    Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
                      - Added the God-Ware 'Adorei-chan'. <---- If you're going to read something, read that one.
                      *chuckles*
                      I was rather unprepared for that.


                      Onyx Path Forums Moderator

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        A LOT has happened since last time.

                        The game is playable for mortals. It only needs more setting stuff and more overall content, but it has enough to be playable. The current version is 134 pages, and that's after I decided to remove all of the Machineborn mechanics. I have decided to put all of the Machineborn mechanics in supplement PDFs instead, starting by collecting my dozens and dozens of pages of Solar Machineborn mechanics into a playable Solar supplement. But before I work on that one, I plan to finish the blank spots in the core PDF.

                        Download it, skim it, and tell me what you think.
                        Last edited by Ekorren; 08-24-2017, 05:03 PM.


                        Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          THE BOOK IS DONE!

                          This took a while.


                          Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Holy shit this is dense.

                            I'm going to read this over the course of the next few days.


                            Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
                            Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              So far this is amazing. I am not 100% sold on Composure and the Humanity track but I love the setting and everything you did here.

                              Note About InDesign: I would add a bit of downsizing on the art when exporting to .pdf. Maybe reduce it to 300 DPI or less, right now the .pdf is 82M and I am guessing that's due to the amount of art at full DPI.

                              Also, will you PoD this? I want to hold the book.
                              Last edited by Maudova; 11-05-2017, 05:30 PM.


                              Craft rewrite.
                              Twitter Handle: at maudova

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Maudova View Post
                                Also, will you PoD this? I want to hold the book.
                                I`d be very careful about actually attempting this. Most publishing companies are not okay with fan supplements being for money. I`d check with OPP before doing anything with a payment option.

                                Cool supplement though!


                                Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X