[Ex3] Machineborn - An alternative setting to Exalted Third Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've had a glance and I suppose the first thing I'll say is;

You're a big fan of Shadowrun and Demon the Descent, aren't you?

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
    Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

I really dig your production values, and I think you've obviously put a good deal of effort into this.

For me, I have to say, kind of like Heaven's Reach, it doesn't really quite work. Aesthetically cyberpunk / space opera in the far / near future with Exalted like heroes running around, much yessage. Plus the 3e system might be good for that.

But what I want in something like that is not to be kind of like going "And why are there these Elemental Warriors in a world based in technology, and real actual physics (or at least, comic book physics!) and not the five elements? Why is are there animalistic shapechangers with moon powers? Why is this hierarchy of celestial over elemental power present when the mythology that backs that is sort of gone?". I get that these are not the literal things they are in Exalted, but it seems like why even have these fairly arbitrary feeling analogies to Exalted's magic that seem out of place in a world based closely on reality.

I just think the goal works better to make up something a lot more loosely Exalted and more whole cloth (and probably redesigning your powers system). Or where you blend in Exalted more - like Exalted Modern does.

This is totally preference though, so don't let this feedback get you down. Obviously YMMV, and some people will be able to squint a little and anything like the above is less an issue for them than having callbacks to canon Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Arian Dynas View Post
        Well, I've had a glance and I suppose the first thing I'll say is;

You're a big fan of Shadowrun and Demon the Descent, aren't you?
        Never played Shadowrun and never read Demon the Descent. I have read the God-Machine Chronicle though, but that's as close as it gets. I'm more of a Cyberpunk 2020 fan and got into this with that in mind, but I ended up pivoting towards something with less of a retro feel. This setting is a bit of a hybrid between cyberpunk and high sci-fi.

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
        I really dig your production values, and I think you've obviously put a good deal of effort into this.

For me, I have to say, kind of like Heaven's Reach, it doesn't really quite work. Aesthetically cyberpunk / space opera in the far / near future with Exalted like heroes running around, much yessage. Plus the 3e system might be good for that.

But what I want in something like that is not to be kind of like going "And why are there these Elemental Warriors in a world based in technology, and real actual physics (or at least, comic book physics!) and not the five elements? Why is are there animalistic shapechangers with moon powers? Why is this hierarchy of celestial over elemental power present when the mythology that backs that is sort of gone?". I get that these are not the literal things they are in Exalted, but it seems like why even have these fairly arbitrary feeling analogies to Exalted's magic that seem out of place in a world based closely on reality.

I just think the goal works better to make up something a lot more loosely Exalted and more whole cloth (and probably redesigning your powers system). Or where you blend in Exalted more - like Exalted Modern does.

This is totally preference though, so don't let this feedback get you down. Obviously YMMV, and some people will be able to squint a little and anything like the above is less an issue for them than having callbacks to canon Exalted.
        Heaven's Reach is one of the inspirations. I do acknowledge your criticism and I can see where you're coming from. This project is a creative exercise just as much as anything. I think a lot of people would enjoy it just like many people enjoyed the Shards. The setting is just fluff. Some people may be interested in just the systems (like the rules for using computers and vehicles and such), and this could provide a source for that as well.

[Webcomic] Dawn of the Chosen - Last Update: February 26, 2017
        [Ex3] Necromancy - Last Update: March 28, 2017
        [Ex3] Machineborn - Last Update: April 26, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
          Never played Shadowrun and never read Demon the Descent. I have read the God-Machine Chronicle though, but that's as close as it gets. I'm more of a Cyberpunk 2020 fan and got into this with that in mind, but I ended up pivoting towards something with less of a retro feel. This setting is a bit of a hybrid between cyberpunk and high sci-fi.
          If that's the case you'd enjoy both. And Numenera. And possibly KULT to a lesser extent. Oooh and Unknown Armies.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
          Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

GENERAL
            - Fixed some grammar and typos here and there.

CHAPTER 1: THE DYSTOPIAN NOW
            - Added information about the Sovereign Scarlet Protectorate city 'Night City'.

CHAPTER 2: THE MACHINEBORN
            - Added a paragraph about Energy and Corona.
            - Removed the suggested concepts from the Five Solar Programs because they were unnecessary bloat.

CHAPTER 3: IDENTITY AND HUMANITY
            - Added World Code Algorithm 'Ghost-Banishing Algorithm'.
            - Added World Code Algorithm 'Nutrient Cloning Algorithm'.

CHAPTER 4: ACTION
            - Did some minor changes to the 'Create Node (Programming Action)' to the Computers Ability.
            - Added information about the Engineering Ability.

CHAPTER 5: PROTOCOLS
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Loving Embrace Algorithm'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Aura'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Enhanced Reverence Algorithm'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Therapeutic Word Algorithm'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Communicating Comfort Algorithm'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Academic Passion Protocol'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Devoted Trust Protocol'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Reading Bad Intent'.
            - Added Snow Dove Unity Protocol 'Emotional Synesthesia Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Lightning Charge Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Water Walking Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Wall Walking Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Pseudo-Levitation Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Blink Attack Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Orbital Dash'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Onrush Burst Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Inescapable Chase Protocol'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Armor-Crushing Strike'.
            - Added Solar Athletics Protocol 'Atlas Protocol'.
            - Added an info box about physical protocols and netrunning.

CHAPTER 6: TECHNOLOGIES
            - Added Cybernetic Fashionware Implant 'Synth-Skin'.
            - Added Cybernetic Neuralware Implant 'Pain Inhibitor'.
            - Added Cybernetic Neuralware Implant 'Uplink'.
            - Added Cybernetic Add-On 'Chameleon' to Fashionware Implant 'Synth-Skin'.
            - Added Cybernetic Add-On 'Transparent' to Fashionware Implant 'Synth-Skin'.
            - Added Cybernetic Add-On 'Overclocked Olfactory' to Implant 'Nasal Filter'.
            - Added Cybernetic Add-On 'Brain Interface' to Neuralware Implant 'Neuralware Processor'.
            - Added Cybernetic Add-On 'Man-Machine Uplink' to Neuralware Implant 'Uplink'.
            - Added Cybernetic Add-On 'Prehensile Connection' to Neuralware Implant 'Uplink'.

Comment

So just got home after easter, saw this, and I regret I can only like the first post once. So i'm gonna like every one of your posts in this thread. This is amazing.

Comment

I haven't done that much because I've been busy. What I have done is to make some early weapon drafts. Firearms are still extremely OP compared to other weapons. I want them to be strong, but I may be overdoing it if they turn out to be way too lethal. Fortunately, I can always tune things as I test them out.

CHAPTER 4: ACTION
                - Changed the way Scope actions work.

CHAPTER 6: TECHNOLOGIES
                - Added Cybernetic Implant 'Cardiac Guardian "Cardigan"'.
                - Added a section about New Weapon Tags.
                - Added the Ammo, Burst-only, Charge, Firearm, Firearm-parry, Recoil, Shock (B/L), Silent and Very Slow tags.
                - Changed the Ballistics, Burst, Powerful, Scope, Spray and Velocity tags.
                - Added a section about New Weapons.
                - Added the light melee weapons Combat Knife and Shock Baton.
                - Added the medium melee weapons Fire Axe and Riot Shield.
                - Added the heavy melee weapon Chainsaw.
                - Added a section about Firearms.
                - Added the light firearms Light Pistol and Light SMG.
                - Added the medium firearms Heavy Pistol, Heavy SMG, Light Revolver and Rifle.
                - Added the heavy firearms Assault Rifle, Big Game Rifle, Heavy Revolver and Shotgun.
                - Added an info box addressing the added complexity and lethality of firearms.
                - Added a section about New Armor Tags.
                - Added the Ballistics, Mobile, Reinforced and Stackable tags.
                - Added a section about changes to standard armor.
                - Added a section about modern armor.
                - Added the light armor Kevlar and Synth-Fabric.
                - Added the medium armor Flak Jacket.
                - Added the heavy armor Combat Armor.
                - Added a section about God-Ware.
                - Added a section about God-Circuits.
                - Added the God-Ware 'Adorei-chan'. <---- If you're going to read something, read that one.

Comment

I love love love love the aesthetic and setting. So good. I've always loved sci-fi/cyberpunk aesthetics, and meshing it with Heroes in a Dark Age is such brilliance!

Also, technology and protocols are great! I'll read into them in detail soon. I'll hopefully use some of these as inspiration for my own Ex3-System based settings. Here's hoping my players would be up to play this in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                  X