[Ex3] Machineborn - An alternative setting to Exalted Third Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maudova View Post
    I noticed you had Stumptown as one of the only cities on the map. Give me a lol since I live there.
    Heh. I imagine that Stumptown takes up quite a lot of space though, so it should cover everything from Medford to Seattle (and Portland of course). Since everyone lives in cramped metropoli because the wastelands are pretty much inhospitable, the cities are huge. Wasn't sure about the name Stumptown though. I partially chose it as a joke, and partially because I kind of grew fond of it.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - (No longer updated)

Comment

Page 35: The segment on Golden Border
      Is a bit light. I think there is opportunity to add more detail to the region and focus less on a single city.

Page 37, The first column last two paragraphs, before the nexus entry: these two paragraphs don’t have any transition, so the mention of the space elevator doesn’t follow.

Page 39, second column, first partial paragraph, the word dissidens should be dissidents.

Page 39: the description of 5 finger furnace probably should be added to the NPC writeup. The additional text about the NPCs temperament seems slightly out of place.

Craft rewrite.
      Twitter Handle: at maudova

Comment

I appreciate you pointing out all those writing errors and such, but I'm also curious about your general thoughts about the content.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
          I appreciate you pointing out all those writing errors and such, but I'm also curious about your general thoughts about the content.
          Caveat:
          • I am not terribly far into the material yet as my reading availability time is only between other tasks. I have not had much chance to review mechanics and I still have quite a bit of the setting material to digest.
          • My opinions may change as I get further into the nitty gritty of the setting.
          Pros:
          • I absolutely love what you did with exigents, neverborn, prime order, incarna, god-machines, sanctums, functionaries, dis-functionaries, nanites, the matrix system, it's all fantastic.
            • I feel it addresses the original setting as a nod to expected set pieces. A good balance of original and new setting content.
          Cons:
          • The way "human" society is structured however cleaves too closely to the source material in some aspects. For one I don't particularly like the Scarlet Pres or the Dragon Corps, it's too close to the original material and isn't that interesting. I think with a whole new setting, it could have gone in a totally different non-parody direction with societies organization.
          • I'm not a fan of the word Trojans as the new name for Raksha, but it's tolerable.
          • Also the text isn't managing cross-references well so far as certain pieces of information are not introduced in the right order, without proper introduction, transition, and some information just appears to belong in different areas of the book.
          Overall:
          • Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the material for sure.
          • I feel like it might need a different direction to be more distinct from the original setting.
            • The original Dragon-Blood vs Everyone story is a bit played out, at least in my opinion. Which I am sure I am in the minority there.

Craft rewrite.

Comment

Cons:
            • The way "human" society is structured however cleaves too closely to the source material in some aspects. For one I don't particularly like the Scarlet Pres or the Dragon Corps, it's too close to the original material and isn't that interesting. I think with a whole new setting, it could have gone in a totally different non-parody direction with societies organization.
            • I'm not a fan of the word Trojans as the new name for Raksha, but it's tolerable.
            • Also the text isn't managing cross-references well so far as certain pieces of information are not introduced in the right order, without proper introduction, transition, and some information just appears to belong in different areas of the book.
            Overall:
            • Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the material for sure.
            • I feel like it might need a different direction to be more distinct from the original setting.
              • The original Dragon-Blood vs Everyone story is a bit played out, at least in my opinion. Which I am sure I am in the minority there.
            That's fair. Like mentioned earlier in the book, the setting started out as an experiment to create a new setting, and I used those familiar aspects both to embrace the original setting and to give myself an easy transition into creating a new world from scratch. The Scarlet Corporation and all those details have become too integral to Machineborn to be changed in any significant way. However, and I think you'll discover this as well as you continue reading, the more I developed the setting after that point, the more things began to diverge. I'm going to try to make the Scarlet Corporation as distinct and interesting as possible and not just copy-paste from the upcoming Realm book.

Megacorp originated as a mirror of the Guild, but I find that they have developed into their own unique entity now. The Deva Corporation is completely new, and it's something I came up with while making the write-up for the nation Divina. My inspiration for them is a mixture of the Brotherhood from Mutant Chronicles, the movie Contact, and a little bit of scientology. I can't wait to develop them further.

So you're right that it's more interesting to make new stuff (like Deva Corp) than to rehash old stuff (like Scarlet Corp), but some things are too late in development to rewrite, and I'll try to make something good with that I have instead.

I actually like the term Trojan for the raksha analogue. They are both references to computer viruses (because they are digital in origin themselves and they corrupt others), and the way they manipulate and try to find short-cuts to get what they want ties well with the Trojan horse from the story. There is more info about them in the Antagonists chapter near the end.

As for cross-references and such, I'm going to go through the text again and make edits. Hopefully I can sort out some things then, so please continue to tell me whenever you find issues with the text.

Comment

Golden Border seems underdeveloped. The information provided is descriptive, but doesnt invoke my imagination enough to want to set a game in the region or its primary city Rica. Which if I’m thinking about setting pieces in a game world, that’s why locations are detailed.

This is in stark contrast to Gran Columbia and New Argentina and other cities such as Liberacoin or Pearlescent which both have great story hooks.

As a side note, you might want to examine the way informationnis provided about Pearlescent. It seems haphazard to talk about the basic needs and fashion of everyday folk after talking about Final Directive.

Craft rewrite.

Comment

Golden Border seems underdeveloped. The information provided is descriptive, but doesnt invoke my imagination enough to want to set a game in the region or its primary city Rica. Which if I’m thinking about setting pieces in a game world, that’s why locations are detailed.

This is in stark contrast to Gran Columbia and New Argentina and other cities such as Liberacoin or Pearlescent which both have great story hooks.

As a side note, you might want to examine the way informationnis provided about Pearlescent. It seems haphazard to talk about the basic needs and fashion of everyday folk after talking about Final Directive.
                I'll see what I can do about exploring the Golden Border further. There isn't that much to say about it though. Since it was broken off from the SSP, it's more or less a city-state with Rica as its only metropolis. Rica takes up the majority of the country and the surrounding wasteland consists mostly of uninhabitable ruins of old Rica. I mean, the wastelands could be elaborated a lot, but there's also a matter of how much space I'm willing to give it. There are already too many countries in the setting chapter, so I haven't prioritized Golden Border much since it's the smallest one.

Comment

This post has been deleted because it's out of date.
                  Last edited by Ekorren; 02-12-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

I have added an early draft of Solar Machineborn rules to the original post. This includes altered corona powers (anima powers) and Protocols that cover all Abilities. When designing the Protocols, I've been inspired by original Charms but changed them based on what seems to be people's preferences. That means less dice tricks and bloat. Most Protocols have clear function and pack more punch. I've also evened out the power spread along the Protocol trees to cover all Ability ratings and Energy ratings.

Comment

Dang I’m still trying to get through the first book. I’m pretty excited by this still. It’ll be a while before I actually get to the Protocols.

Craft rewrite.

Comment

I have added an early draft of Solar Machineborn rules to the original post. This includes altered corona powers (anima powers) and Protocols that cover all Abilities. When designing the Protocols, I've been inspired by original Charms but changed them based on what seems to be people's preferences. That means less dice tricks and bloat. Most Protocols have clear function and pack more punch. I've also evened out the power spread along the Protocol trees to cover all Ability ratings and Energy ratings.
                        A question is this supposed to "balanced" with vanilla EX3 core solars? If not in what direction are you going?

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
                          A question is this supposed to "balanced" with vanilla EX3 core solars? If not in what direction are you going?
                          No, it's not. It's supposed to be balanced with the technology in Machineborn. You cannot use the Protocols here and use them in your Exalted game.

Comment

No, it's not. It's supposed to be balanced with the technology in Machineborn. You cannot use the Protocols here and use them in your Exalted game.
                            To clarify my design philosophy regarding the Protocol balance:

Machineborn is built to be a system that functions like the Exalted system but that lets technology elevate ordinary humans. Firearms are deliberately made deadlier than other types of weaponry and humans can enhance themselves with cybernetics and genetic treatments to become very strong and dangerous. A Solar will be challenged by a mortal soldier if that soldier is enhanced and has advanced weaponry. This is the deliberate design.

To make Machineborn powerful and fun, I have amped up the Protocols from other combat Abilities than Firearms so that Machineborn can pull off what ordinary humans cannot. They can use Archery to fire faster and harder than the projectiles of a sniper rifle. They can dance around bullets and make punches that bypass cybernetic enhancements in order to seek out and explode the flesh inside you. The Combat Protocols are balanced around the knowledge that Firearms is more powerful than other types of combat.

If you look at Social Protocols, the setting allows for recording and global spread of your social influence. There are rules in place that make it harder to overcome Resolve when you're recorded and put on television compared to when interacting with someone in real life, but that level of global spread is still available to you. Some social stuff has therefore been nerfed compared to the original game.

Stealth takes surveillance cameras into account. There is a Protocol that automatically censors your face, for example.

A lot of stuff like that.

Comment

Just finished a revision of the corebook.

Comment

Just found this and I'm eager to dive in.

One question before I start: Is this shard designed with space opera in mind, or something else like cyberpunk?

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Working...
                                X