Lightsaber claws: how can this work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightsaber claws: how can this work?

Over on another form, the age old question of Adamantium vs. a lightsaber is once again being debated. But then some said

Now I'm imagining Wolverine with lightsaber emitters in his knuckles instead of claws.
    So now I'm trying to think how this would work. Artifact? Sorcery? Alchemical Charm? What do you think?

Well, per Alchemical Charms that already were in past editions... that's already there, in the form of beam weapon razor claws installed in the Alchemical. I suppose there might also be a version that one could install surgically.

Comment

I'd definitely limit it to Autochthonian tech (be an it as Alchemical Charm or Artifacts that Alchrmicals can integrate). Beam weapons are effectively proprietary shtick for them that don't belong in Creation (save via Autochthonian integration via Seal Breach).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Battle Angel Alita did this. Instead of coming out of the wrists they came out of the fingertips. OK technically they were hyper heated plasma torches, but hell close enough.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
        Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Claws of the Silver Moon?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            Claws of the Silver Moon?
            Only in its 2e incarnation.

Comment

Did someone say Laser Claws?

Comment

^that was cited in the thread I reference

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  I'd definitely limit it to Autochthonian tech (be an it as Alchemical Charm or Artifacts that Alchrmicals can integrate). Beam weapons are effectively proprietary shtick for them that don't belong in Creation (save via Autochthonian integration via Seal Breach).
                  I dunno. Essence cannons are standard First Age stuff, generally. Why not essence blades?

I'd probably insist that the use a lot of... say... Adamant in their production. But still, I don't see them as being inherently out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

I dunno. Essence cannons are standard First Age stuff, generally. Why not essence blades?

I'd probably insist that the use a lot of... say... Adamant in their production. But still, I don't see them as being inherently out of line.

I could see it in Second Edition's First Age yeah. We can talk again after Arms of a Chosen if it looks like Essence Cannons are a thing in Third Edition. I have a suspicion they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I could see it in Second Edition's First Age yeah. We can talk again after Arms of a Chosen if it looks like Essence Cannons are a thing in Third Edition. I have a suspicion they're not.
                      Betcha Warstriders have 'em as an option.

Comment

Maybe something similar as an Evocation effect. I doubt its own integrated Artifact. But we'll see.

Comment

There's actually a lot of ways to do it based on exactly what you're looking for.

1. "Hard-light" construct weapons. You don't need to do anything special for this, just use a Glorious Solar weapon charm (or another Exalt's equivalent, if they have one that expresses itself as made of light)

2. Sorcery seems like a decent choice; it's not hard to see some sort of alternative to Wood Dragon's Claw. Potentially a martial art could offer it as well.

3. Artifacts worn on your hands. If you want them to look exactly like lightsabers (mechanical-laser motifs), an Autochthonian artifact would make the most sense, but gloves or attachments that emit small blades of Lunar or Solar essence are also viable.

4. An Alchemical charm (possibly integrating the above artifacts), as mentioned above.

Comment

From a mechanical perspective you're going to need to realize that however you achieve this effect isn't going to work exactly like lightsabers. They aren't going to automatically deal crippling blows that scar or dismember your opponent (that's going to still be upto the GM or player of the PC if your group gets into PVP).

‚Äč If you go the artifact route you're going to probably be using artifact razor claws which already have retractable claws. Since they're dealing with both heat and light, we're probably talking an oricalcum build with possibly some red jade mixed into the design. If you go with an artifact, I would suggest evocations that focus on enhancing feats of strength that destroy and enhancing disarming gambits to destroy mundane weaponry. Perhaps you could also throw in an evocation to help deflect ranged attacks.

Comment

Working...
                            X