X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackwell
    • Nov 2013

Lunars and the Eclipse Keyword

I was flipping through an old copy of Axis Mundi (the big-book-o'-spirits for old Werewolf and Mage) to get ideas for custom gods and elementals. There's a lot of cosmology I don't care (or particularly want) to get into, but the upshot is that there's a bit where a werewolf elder is explaining where spirit powers (Charms) come from and how they relate to werewolf powers (Gifts) and it made me think about Lunars and spirits.

I think the Eclipse Keyword does a pretty good job of letting Eclipses pick up powers that are interesting and iconic to the spirit they come from, without letting them do just anything, or double-dip on boring utility powers (like extra dice or extra actions). But I don't see anything particularly tailored to Solars in which charms get the tag and which ones don't. What would you think about Lunars (possibly through Caste-powers but possibly through fancy Charms akin to the legend-defining ones in Solar Integrity or the persona ones in Solar Socialize) being able to be taught Eclipse-tagged Spirit Charms? This would render the "Eclipse" keyword into something like the "Mastery" keyword; different character types access it different ways depending on their nature.
  • Sunder the Gold
    • Nov 2013

Maybe a Lunar can use it while wearing the form of the spirit?

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

Comment

• Mister Lion
      • Nov 2013

My head is still at work, but I really like that idea, particularly with the idea that you can gain access via munching on said type of spirit. In fact, I would respectfully posit that is the Lunar equivalent to the spirit/ghost killing charms of the Solars. Solars defeat these spirits, lunars turn their foes own powers against them by devouring them and accessing the abilities of their foes?

I dunno. I think it is an interesting idea.

Comment

• Tikor
        • Nov 2013

I think stealing Eclipse-keyword powers is something worth pursuing in the Lunar Charmset.

Sidereal Jumpstart (3e fanwork Charmset)
        Cascades (the above in flowchart form)

Comment

• Epee102
          • May 2016

Originally posted by Mister Lion View Post
          My head is still at work, but I really like that idea, particularly with the idea that you can gain access via munching on said type of spirit. In fact, I would respectfully posit that is the Lunar equivalent to the spirit/ghost killing charms of the Solars. Solars defeat these spirits, lunars turn their foes own powers against them by devouring them and accessing the abilities of their foes?

I dunno. I think it is an interesting idea.
          Doesnt' Solar Occult's Carnal Rending do that too?

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
          Many Limbed Manual
          Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
          San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
          My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• barbecube
            • Mar 2017

I don't like this very much.

One of the key features of Solars is, "they're good at doing things with their Essence," which is where we get things like GSS. The Eclipse anima power is a part of the powerful Essence of Solars.

The key feature of Lunars is, "they're good at doing things with their bodies." That's why they have shapechanging and Attribute-based Excellencies and their power to steal forms is gated by literally drinking blood out of a heart. They can do things with their bodies that no one else can do, but at the same time their spirit is not just constant, but even locked-in by the moonsilver tattoos. Anything that deals with transformation of the soul — and I think that emulating the spiritual powers of gods definitely falls under this umbrella — should fall outside their bailiwick for this reason.

Comment

• Sunder the Gold
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by barbecube View Post
              I don't like this very much.

One of the key features of Solars is, "they're good at doing things with their Essence," which is where we get things like GSS. The Eclipse anima power is a part of the powerful Essence of Solars.

The key feature of Lunars is, "they're good at doing things with their bodies." That's why they have shapechanging and Attribute-based Excellencies and their power to steal forms is gated by literally drinking blood out of a heart. They can do things with their bodies that no one else can do, but at the same time their spirit is not just constant, but even locked-in by the moonsilver tattoos. Anything that deals with transformation of the soul — and I think that emulating the spiritual powers of gods definitely falls under this umbrella — should fall outside their bailiwick for this reason.
              Liminal Exalted are the ones who use their physical bodies and materials as mediums.

Lunar Exalted are internal, which means they can alter their own bodies, minds, and souls. They are the single-most undisputed masters at "becoming something else" among the Exalted, so it makes sense that they could, at least, access Eclipse-keyworded Charms while wearing the forms of the creature's that had them.

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

Comment

• Crumplepunch
                • Jan 2014

I think it's reasonable for other Exalts to get in on Eclipse keywords provided their access is more limited than the Eclipse anima. It's a fun thing to play around with, but it should remain a signature power of the Eclipse Caste. For example, I wrote a Dragon-Blooded Occult Charm that would allow them to learn Eclipse Charms from elementals who share their Aspect.

I think a Lunar equivalent would be reasonable. To take one possibility, being able to learn Fair Folk Eclipse Charms seems like a sensible way to adapt the Charm that let them gain Graces in 2e.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

• aluminiumtrioxid
                  • Jul 2014

Yeah, actually one of the neat things Irked's homebrew Lunars did was letting you eat spirits to learn their Charms.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                  Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Working...