No announcement yet.

The themes of Adamant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping because people are asking this question again.

Also, I still want to design Cloud’s Ultima Weapon as an adamant grand daiklave whose blade is clearest and sharpest when you are at your strongest and most focused.

The more injured, pained, sick, and confused you are, the duller and more “clouded” the blade becomes.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

If I was writing up an Arms of the Chosen-style description of adamant as a magical material, this is how I'd do it:

Adamant
      Adamant is a clear crystal substance, harder than any other material known - orichalcum honed to the keenest edge cannot scratch it, nor can even the strongest white jade abrade it. (Hardness is not the same as durability, however - a strong enough blow can shatter adamant into shards). It catches any light that falls on it and reflects and refracts it, casting spots and ripples of light over the surroundings, both in the original colors that fall on it, and wondrously-transformed spectrums and rainbows. However, transparency is also in its nature, and perfectly-cut adamant may be almost invisible, not affecting light at all.

This substance is never naturally found in Creation, whose essence does not seem to be conducive to its formation. It can be formed through a process of subjecting natural crystals to intense, focused pressure while bathing them in pure light, aligning the crystalline structure to appropriate essence flows. In Autochthonia, it is found in natural deposits, often linked with the Great Maker's mind and thought processes. Items made of adamant are laboriously cut, rather than forged or molded, with orichalcum and white jade gemcutter's tools being the primary means of giving them form.

Adamant's crystalline nature invokes magic related to sight and vision, or its opposite, invisibility through transparency. It holds the potential of bending light to create visual illusions and false images. It is durant, able to resist being eroded or worn away, and can be used to contain or prevent the deleterious effects of corrosive substances. Adamant is associated with brilliance (both of light and thought), sharpness, hardness, crystal, precision, repeating and fractal patterns, mathematics, resistance to corrosion, and disruption of darkness or shadows. Adamant evocations rarely produce sorcerous power, but they are very good at channelling or redirecting it.

Comment

I tend to see Adamant as the crystallization of Clarity and Focus.

When used to build the Dome sky of Creation, it clearly marks where "inside Creation" and where "outside Creation". When used as the floor for Yu Shan, it clearly separates the boundary between two planes of existence.

As an Alchemical Caste, it is mysterious, distinct and separate from the others.

As an edge, it is clear on its purpose and the focus it has to function in cutting.

As a barrier, it is clear on what is not allowed to get pass, hence it is significantly harder to penetrate if not impossible.

Comment

Hmmm Kelly Pedersen I don't think I'd peg adamant in precisely the same way. The set of associations you give paints a fairly narrow view of what it's capable of. Consider that the majority of the other MM associations are with the metaphysical aspects of the substance rather than the physical properties they have. I would suggest a different set of associations:

Adamant's crystalline nature makes it perfect for effects dealing with sight and and vision including things that manipulate light to create invisibility or illusions. It's associations include deception and bedazzlement, clarity of vision and thought, precision, brilliance, misdirection and redirection, mathematics and purity. In addition, some adamant has been used to draw forth evocations dealing with controlled growth and repetitive patterns such as fractals. Most adamant artifacts are subtle and difficult to discern, when not entirely invisible often putting on a brilliant or eye-catching display to distract form their true purpose.

I'd also argue that it doesn't make sense for adamant to not be naturally occurring in creation. Soulsteel makes sense as it requires literal souls to be forged with underworld ores to be created, but adamant doesn't have any such requirements I'd think. I would say that adamant should be rare in creation, but not as rare as Starmetal. Perhaps occurring in places of great pressure that have been exposed to the light such as a crystal formation moved from the depths of creation to a mountaintop or a grove of crystal coral at the bottom of the Great ocean in the West that was exposed to a ray of pure sunlight from the surface in a mystical conjunction. To avoid being linked to the unconquered sun which has no great link to adamant you could also do an example of a diamond crushed under a flow of white hot metal from the elemental pole of fire or something like that.

Remember that soulsteel was never found outside of Autochthon until the formation of the underworld after the war of the gods. If you give the same status to adamant it would seem weird. Plus adamant is clearly in use in creation. Having it absent doesn't make a lot of sense and precludes adamant crafting in the second age which I think is somewhat unnecessary.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
            The set of associations you give paints a fairly narrow view of what it's capable of. Consider that the majority of the other MM associations are with the metaphysical aspects of the substance rather than the physical properties they have.
            Fair enough. I don't think any of the magical material writeups in Arms exactly ignore the material's physical properties, but it's true that they do draw more on the metaphysical/symbolic stuff than I've probably written up here. I don't think I'd drop any of the stuff I already suggested, but your list are all definitely good additions.

Originally posted by armyofwhispers
            I'd also argue that it doesn't make sense for adamant to not be naturally occurring in creation.
            Well, that was an offhand thing. I'm not too wedded to it. And as CharonFerryman pointed out, there's a couple of references at least to adamant forming things like the dome of the sky of Creation or Yu-Shan. So it's certainly in Creation. On the other hand, I was thinking of reasons that artificers and loremasters of Creation don't think of it as a magical material on par with the others, and "not naturally occurring, has to be created" sprang to mind.

Originally posted by armyofwhispers
            Remember that soulsteel was never found outside of Autochthon until the formation of the underworld after the war of the gods.
            That's 2e, though. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to make the transition to 3e. If nothing else, it sort of fits into the "Autochthon did everything cool, first" issue that 2e had going.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
              That's 2e, though. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to make the transition to 3e. If nothing else, it sort of fits into the "Autochthon did everything cool, first" issue that 2e had going.
              I think it will be very likely to make the transition actually.

Not that Autochthon did it first, but that he's got enough death-aspect to his core identity that he could end up with soulsteel in him. Consider also that we do know that soulsteel doesn't exist outside of the underworld in 3E. We also know that Autochthonia will need some source of the stuff if the soulsteel alchemicals are to have an even footing with the other types.

I don't think that Autochthon stole a bunch of underworld ores any more than I expect him to have grabbed a bunch of meteorites and stuffed them inside himself. Of all the primordials, Autochthon seems to have the greatest association with the magical materials, including soulsteel.

That said, they might not have the 'I ate an entire civilization that pissed me off and the resulting indigestion became soulsteel' thing

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

I was hoping for talk of adamant in Arms. I considered Adamant is the equal of the other 5 Magical Materials, but officially that seems downplayed. I was thinking Eternal, Clarity, and Invincibility are associated with it.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                X