Exigents and Anima Banners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exigents and Anima Banners

Quick question, and it may be rather obvious: Do Exigents have anima banners, and anima powers, like the other Exalted?

I mean, I know they go on a case-by-case basis, but I would like to hear your opinions first.

Well they probably have the same overall metaphysical structure as other exalted: Human soul+, so odds are that yes they'd have anima banners and powers associated with them.

That said I can imagine a few exigents whose schtick may preclude an anima display.

So mostly yes, but sometimes no.

Comment

While I wouldn't say there can't be Exigents who don't possess anima banners, to date the anima banner has always been the one, universal characteristic of the Exalted. But, Exigents are the "Make-Em Up" Exalted with a ton of latitude on the part of the player or ST for designing them. Really, I'd say that while it's theoretically possible for an Exigent to lack an anima banner, or pretty much any other feature commonly associated with the Exalted, t would be incredibly rare to the extreme (an Exigents are, themselves, already pretty damn rare so...)

Basically if a player wanted an Exigent without an anima banner, I would take a very, very hard look at their overall character and what the themes of their deity that granted them the Exigence are. And not necessarily just for mechanical reasons, but for important thematic ones as well.

Comment

I mean, the Chosen of Secrets have anima banners. The Night Caste have anima banners. Adamantine Alchemicals have anima banners.

Surely nothing is impossible, but I'd squint mighty hard. I expect that 'mute you peripheral expenditures' or 'only have personal essence' is likely to be the extent of no anima banner.

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led

Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

Comment

I guess what I am trying to ask is: Do Anima Banners have to be visible? Like "towering pillars of sun/moonlight, eruptions of flame/water/-insert element here-" visible?

Not that this hypothetical anima banner isn't visible: it is more of an "aura of menace", with the aura getting more and more palpable as Peripheral Essence gets expended. As the anima increases, the Exigents eyes blaze, their countenance becomes more and more stern/wrathful, etc etc etc, until the false and the fake dread to look upon them.

Comment

Well if I recall didn't the preview document for Liminals way back say they're anima made the death aspect start bleeding through more?

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
              Well if I recall didn't the preview document for Liminals way back say they're anima made the death aspect start bleeding through more?
              I think they have an anima banner that flares and is visible as well as looking more obviously dead when their anima flares.

Under the Liminal QC guide, it says the dice cap of their Excellencies rises to [Attribute + Essence] when their anima begins to 'shine', which implies that yes they have a proper anima banner.

Also, from Chapter 1 of the Core...

Originally posted by Ex3 Core, Page 50
              [Liminals'] anima displays are similarly gruesome, varying by Aspect and including such unsettling displays as swirling clouds of blood, pulsing ropes of phantasmal muscle, or dark streamers of soil churning with white bones and worms.
              So it seems that yes, in addition to looking more obviously undead, Liminals have a full-on proper Anima Banner that takes the form of an aura of Essence.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
                Not that this hypothetical anima banner isn't visible: it is more of an "aura of menace", with the aura getting more and more palpable as Peripheral Essence gets expended. As the anima increases, the Exigents eyes blaze, their countenance becomes more and more stern/wrathful, etc etc etc, until the false and the fake dread to look upon them.
                I see what you mean. I would tentatively be okay with that, with a few caveats. First, the anima would still be just as noticeable as if it were visual. If you're iconic and out in the open, people within a mile of you get an uneasy feeling and a general idea of where you are (in the same way that an Exalt with a massive iconic banner would be noticeable). Further, even if you were in a crowd of 100 people, when your anima flared, anyone nearby would still be able to "spot" you. They'd instinctively realizes you were the one putting out "creepy energy." You wouldn't be able to hide or mask your banner (without some kind of appropriate power).

I would also still want some kind of visual aspect as you expend more peripheral Essence, even if it isn't an actual anima banner - shadows in the area lengthen and darken, or like you suggest the Exalt's eyes blaze with unnatural and unmistakable power.

So in general I would still have the Exigent operate along most of the same lines, just altering the primary 'visual' component of the banner to something that, while different, is still pretty much equally noticeable.

Comment

The in setting logic for why anima exist holds for Exigents... But yeah, certainly I feel, you could be like "This Exalt has tons of Personal Essence and little Peripheral" and functionally they would not really ignite an anima (even intentionally).

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
                    Quick question, and it may be rather obvious: Do Exigents have anima banners, and anima powers, like the other Exalted?

I mean, I know they go on a case-by-case basis, but I would like to hear your opinions first.

Given that Peripheral Essence is one of the unique traits of the Exalted in the setting that they all share regardless of type, and no other beings have, I'm going to assume generally that yes Exigents have Peripheral Essence that result in visible Animas when they spend said points.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                      The in setting logic for why anima exist holds for Exigents... But yeah, certainly I feel, you could be like "This Exalt has tons of Personal Essence and little Peripheral" and functionally they would not really ignite an anima (even intentionally).
                      If a player approached me with this idea, I would probably encourage them to design Charms that would make them want to ignite an anima. Maybe they literally get stronger, or their Charms get more powerful while they have their anima flaring, but they have such a small Peripheral pool it's hard to keep it up. And when they activate Charms without their anima flaring, their Charms tend to be a fair bit weaker.

For the most part, I would consider an Exigent without a Peripheral Essence pool (or a very small one) to be something to build the Charmset around, rather than simply an excuse for the player to be able to go ham with his Charms not have to worry about any sort of consequences.

Comment

Working...
                      X