• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​A God Arc from "God Eater", as a cursed 5-dot Moonsilver Artifact

UPDATES:
    4/29/2017
    1. Radically scaled back the mechanics regarding infection
    2. Planning on including some mechanic to represent the weapon growing more unruly when it goes too long without being fed, as well as some synergy with masters who sport sympathetic Intimacies
    3. Beefed up the Devourer's Plague; has a shorter interval and now also causes mutations (further ideas on full "Aragami" are planned for later)
    4. Gave the "God Arc" a more personal name which more strongly references the "Violent God" Aragami.
    5. Let the Cannibal Chimera have an actual fight against Luna, as requested.
    6. Added one of the "Predator Style" additional Devouring Forms as a new Evocation concept, with more planned for later.
    7. Added "Reign the Beast" as an Evocation to exert some control on the spread of the disease, though I might just make it part of the attunement bonus.
    8. Beefed up "Transformation" a little.

Violent Devourer (Moonsilver Artifact, 5-dots)
    The Cannibal Chimera, Luna's Chastised Child

Once upon a time, one of Luna's Beloved decided to hunt and devour his own Exalted brothers and sisters, adding their forms to his own in a bid to rival Luna herself. Though the rest of the Exalted Host turned against him, he evaded pursuit and continued to hunt, until he felt ready to challenge the Moon.

She welcomed him to her domain with open arms, and he embraced her. Then their embrace became a grapple, as the two strove to tear each other apart. The battle raged across the surface of the moon for an hour, with all bystanders forbidden to intervene.

Luna stood victorious in the end. Dragging his corpse in one hand and his screaming soul in the other, she descended into the heart of the Silver Chair, down into the caverns of her personal workshop and its molten lakes of moonsilver. His Exalted Soul followed after her like a loyal puppy.

When Luna next fell in love with a mortal, she adopted him with the same Exalted Soul. When shortly afterwards she appeared before him, Luna handed him a strange weapon that he recognized as all that was physically left of his former self.

Before returning to the sky, she said only four words: "Try harder, this time."

But whether by accident or design, Luna had failed to tame her child’s ravenous greed. The will of the original Cannibal Chimera lives on in the form of a supernatural disease that seeks to infect any creature with which it makes contact.

Attuning to the weapon when one first touches it grants the character a +4 to the Resistance roll against the disease's Virulence. One who is Dissonant with moonsilver gets no bonus. One who is Resonant automatically resists the disease, and – only for the first time that she attunes to the weapon in her life – gets to choose its Melee, Shield, and Missile forms, which it assumes with an instantaneous transformation. See the Transformation Evocation for information about the limitations of this ability.

If the weapon's master is infected with the Devourer's Plague, remaining in physical contact with the weapon for the approximate sum total of one hour in a day (or using it for even a single battle) imposes a -2 penalty to his Resistance roll against the disease's Morbidity that day. If her attunement is broken, any contact with the weapon imposes a -4 penalty, and attempting to re-attune to the weapon provokes an immediate Morbidity check.

If the Violent Devourer can consume the one who would command it, the lingering remains of the Cannibal Chimera can resume his quest.

Devourer's Plague (Virulence 4, Morbidity 3, Interval: One day): Any creature infected by this disease can spread it through its bodily fluids, usually from biting hard enough to draw blood. Since infected creatures are driven to consume the entirety of their victims whenever possible, they only inadvertently create more of their kind when bite-victims manage to escape, or someone chases them away from the remains of the carcass they were eating. The disease then spreads throughout the carcass and waits to infect the inevitable scavengers.

Minor Symptom: No matter how much the victim eats, his appetite is never satisfied. Each night that he must go hungry (for he is now always hungry), the victim must roll (Stamina + Resistance) at difficulty 3. On a failed roll, he cannot regain any Willpower from that night’s sleep. The victim's metabolism becomes accelerated such that overeating does not cause them to become bloated, but tough and strong. The storyteller may treat a failure on the night's Resistance roll as an opportunity to assign a Merit to the victim, representing some newly improved faculty, or a mutation drawn from one of the animals or plants he ate that day.

Major Symptom: The victim begins to hunger for the flesh of his own kind... except for those infected by the same disease. In addition to the above effects, whenever the Storyteller could inflict a botch on the victim from this disease, she may instead compel him to seek out the easiest source of kindred flesh to satisfy his cannibalism, whether that means desecrating the local graveyard or murdering someone he doesn't think anyone will miss. This urge can be resisted by spending a point of Willpower, but the character must enter a Decision Point to do so, drawing on a Major or stronger Intimacy. The Storyteller can treat a failure to resist as another opportunity to impose a mutation.

Defining Symptom: This level functions as the major symptom, but now only defining Intimacies can be drawn on in a Decision Point to resist the cannibalistic impulses—which can now occur every scene in place of a botch. The Storyteller is advised to assign a mutation upon any failed Resistance check or instance of cannibalism.

Death: The victim’s transformation into a mindless beast of flesh-eating hunger is complete. He is now nothing more than a mad beast, driven only by the urge to eat without end. The Storyteller must assign some radical mutation to the new creature.

Reign The Beast

Prevent the Cannibal Chimera from forcing infection checks on others, and improve Perception and Intelligence rolls to track, locate, and identify creatures which are infected or fully transformed by the disease.

Shield Form

If the weapon is currently in Melee Form, you can temporarily convert it into its Shield Form to assist a Full Defense or Defend Other Action.

Gun Form

Supplement a Ready Weapon Action to transform the Cannibal Chimera from Melee Form to Missile Form, or vice versa. The weapon gains its own Mote Pool which you use to pay for the missiles. This mote pool respires at the same rate as the weapon's master. The pool is smaller for Dissonant characters and larger for Resonant.

Blood Drinker

Supplement a Decisive Attack so that all health levels of damage inflicted to the target fill the Cannibal Chimera's Mote Pool.

Devouring Form

A Simple-type Charm which reveals the weapon's true face. The weapon's master cannot unleash the special Decisive attack until her next turn, and being knocked prone will cancel the transformation. Successfully inflicting damage with this form will massively refill the weapon's mote pool and unlock the weapon's power, allowing its master to spend its Motes to fuel her own Charms.

Disonaea

A reflexive counterattack application of Devouring Form, which the master can Evoke after successfully parrying an attack with the Shield Form.

Transformation

The master can cause the weapon to begin a slow but semi-permanent transformation, allowing her to choose a different Melee, Shield, and/or Missile form. The speed of this transformation can be accelerated by spending crafting experience.

For the Melee Form, any transformation ultimately amounts to choosing whether she wants it to have the Bashing or Lethal tags, and one of following four: Balanced, Chopping, Piercing, or Smashing. The weapon's Melee Form will never be able to lose the Melee, Two-Handed, or Reach tags.

The master may affect an instantaneous transformation once per story. A Dissonant master cannot do this at all, whereas a Resonant master can do so once per session.

Any new master who is not Resonant with moonsilver is stuck with whatever form its previous master was using before she got it. If she is Resonant with moonsilver, she still only gets one chance in her entire lifetime to freely and instantly transform the weapon without needing to have attained this Evocation, so if someone else stole it from her and reconfigured it before she gets it back, she's out of luck for the time being.
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 04-29-2017, 11:04 AM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Same as last time, I don't have any illusions that this thing is great, let alone perfect. Especially since I rushed it out before hammering out all of the finer details, like mechanics for three different forms of Shield, or any of the ranged forms, or any calculations on its Mote Pool size.

I don't care; I wanted to get this idea out of my head and onto "paper" so that I could then feel free enough to pursue other ideas and projects.

Plus, this way people could tell me what they thought about the idea in general, the inclusion of the disease, and the new compromise I found between "no shapeshifting into other weapons" and "shapeshifting into All The Weapons".

Whatever you don't like about this, let me know. If you DO like this, let me know -- part of the reason I stopped short of a full mechanical-representation job was that I wasn't sure how many people would even care for this idea in the first place.

Comment

Hmm...not sure the scale of effect really points at 5 dots...though diseases can spread rather wildly in the right conditions...
      That said, for many characters spreading a plague of cannibalism would seem a pretty severe drawback, so the evocations better be very worth it.

All things considered, there is only one thing I outright dislike: a mighty Lunar who hunted other exalts, who managed to survive with the rest of the Exalted host after him, and who supposedly prepared themselves to slay Luna being so easily dispatched. The Incarnae are tremendously powerful, yes, but they shouldn't be making total chumps out of powerful Exalts.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post
        Hmm...not sure the scale of effect really points at 5 dots...though diseases can spread rather wildly in the right conditions...
        That said, for many characters spreading a plague of cannibalism would seem a pretty severe drawback, so the evocations better be very worth it.
        Right now, the Evocations aren't worth it. This was originally envisioned as a 3-dot Artifact; 4-dots at most.

But given the source material of God Eater and the backstory I envisioned for this weapon, it seemed a shame to not include the Oracle/Aragami Virus in some fashion. And I've been frustrated in my efforts to imagine a moonsilver artifact rated 5+.

If 5-dots represents the ability to impact the world on a large scale, a disease approaches that. But this disease is too slow for battlefield control, too easily leads into a global epidemic for something that isn't Artifact N/A, and lacks the mechanical rigor necessary to properly imitate the Aragami.

All things considered, there is only one thing I outright dislike: a mighty Lunar who hunted other exalts, who managed to survive with the rest of the Exalted host after him, and who supposedly prepared themselves to slay Luna being so easily dispatched. The Incarnae are tremendously powerful, yes, but they shouldn't be making total chumps out of powerful Exalts.
        The Exalted are powerful, but they defeat things stronger than them through teamwork. The Primordial War was won because the Exalted Host fought together.

But I could easily change the story so that Luna actually fought the Exalt for a while before winning. I don't have to specify whether he was really challenging her or if she was merely toying with him.

Comment

What would people like to see with this weapon?

Would people like to keep the disease and make the weapon stronger to compensate? Perhaps make the disease more mechanically rigorous in terms of emulating the Aragami?

Or would people rather see the disease removed?

Comment

Perhaps remove the secondary infection effect without the weapon and/or the disease lives in your body part, or even include a way to heal it or subdue it.

At the moment attempting to attune to it means a disease permanently lives in your body - surely there should be a way for an Exalt to overcome it, or a Lunar to re-adapt it.

Couldn't the invocation tree give you powers over the infected? Choosing which bloodline the Lunar wishes they hunger for?

Comment

Originally posted by doran View Post
              Perhaps remove the secondary infection effect without the weapon and/or the disease lives in your body part, or even include a way to heal it or subdue it.

At the moment attempting to attune to it means a disease permanently lives in your body - surely there should be a way for an Exalt to overcome it, or a Lunar to re-adapt it.

Couldn't the invocation tree give you powers over the infected? Choosing which bloodline the Lunar wishes they hunger for?
              Sorry, after some more research, I may have misunderstood something about the source material.

I thought the "God Eater" Aragami hunters infected themselves with the Oracle Virus in order to attain super-human strength, and the bracelet was a control mechanism to keep it from transforming them into monsters, or infecting other humans.

But instead, all of a God Eater's super-human power derives from the God Arc, and the bracelet is protecting the God Eater from the hunger of the God Arc?

So, resisting the infection would be actually resisting it, rather than allowing it to take root within one's body, and merely having one's bracelet (in this case, "attunement") broken wouldn't lead the master to becoming infected or infectious.

The master would still risk infection again if they try to re-attune to the Artifact, as they struggle to regain control of its hunger, but if they beat it they still actually beat it, and at no point would they become infectious to others without actually being sick themselves.

Further, they could probably control the hunger of the weapon to prevent it from casually infecting everything it touches... at least so long as they keep it fed regularly.
              Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 04-28-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Edited the changes so far into the original post.

Also, did you know that it's IMPOSSIBLE to figure out what "Bias Factor" is from reading the God Eater wiki? It doesn't have a single article to itself, as "Oracle Cells" does.

Comment

Working...
                X