Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why "Dragon-Blooded- What Fire Has Wrought" as the title?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why "Dragon-Blooded- What Fire Has Wrought" as the title?

Seems strange considering it has the children of Daana'd in it.

Because the Realm itself is associated with fire. "Scarlet" Empress, Five "Dragon" Throne, it's the biggest exporter of Iron in the world, and because Fire is associated with iron-working, and "What Water Has Shaped" isn't nearly as punchy as far as titles go.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
    Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

Originally posted by Tyzerg View Post
      Seems strange considering it has the children of Daana'd in it.
      Doesn't seem strange at all. Fire seems very prone to receiving high, if not top billing when the classical elements get discussed.

(The Water section of the Dungeon of Dorukan gets cut for budgetary reasons, but Fire is there. Even Avatar: the Last Airbender describes the Fire nation as the ones who changed everything and conquered most of the known world.)
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Fire is the element most commonly associated with dragons.

Comment

Also the context of the full title, wrought seems to kind of be important. It to me elucidates ideas of crucibles, forges and strife, which fits an Exalt who's largest collection is an empire forged on war, empire and conquest.

Or more blithely, it's fancy-sounding.

And stuff.

And stuff.
          Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

You think maybe it has something to do with the Realm Defense Grid and all the hell it laid on the Fair Folk, etc? Or maybe the deal with Malfeas (possible deal) The SE made to gain control of it?

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
              Fire is the element most commonly associated with dragons.

I can't claim to be an expert, but isn't that a purely Western/European convention? I thought in both China and Japan dragons were associated with water instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinjo View Post

I can't claim to be an expert, but isn't that a purely Western/European convention? I thought in both China and Japan dragons were associated with water instead.

Hot water, actually; Dragons in Asian mythology are famous for breathing steam, fog, lightning and boiling water. Hence their association with Storms.

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                Also the context of the full title, wrought seems to kind of be important. It to me elucidates ideas of crucibles, forges and strife, which fits an Exalt who's largest collection is an empire forged on war, empire and conquest.

Or more blithely, it's fancy-sounding.

And stuff.
                Which connects with the Realm principally fueling those conquests on iron, for which it is famous, given its proximity to the Elemental Pole of Earth which in turn mirrors the relationship between the Realm and 19th Century Britain, as they say; Guns, Germs and Steel. The tools with which colonialism dominated the planet, much as The Realm does.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
                Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

You think maybe it has something to do with the Realm Defense Grid and all the hell it laid on the Fair Folk, etc?
                  Not really, I'm thinking Blaque's guess is closer to the mark.

Or maybe the deal with Malfeas (possible deal) The SE made to gain control of it?
                  What does that have to do with it?

Comment

I have theories.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Arian Dynas View Post
                      it's the biggest exporter of Iron in the world, and because Fire is associated with iron-working
                      +1. At least for me, it evokes technological imperialism (arms and armor, siege weaponry, scorching the earth literally and metaphorically through over-exploitation and hedonistic consumption, the inexorable march of "progress" bringing "civilization" wherever it goes) as much as dragon imagery.
                      Last edited by Fata-Ku; 04-23-2017, 11:35 AM.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                      Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Arian Dynas View Post
                        it's the biggest exporter of Iron in the world, and because Fire is associated with iron-working
                        Right, yes of course. As Nexus is the biggest manufacturer of iron products, I look forward to Nexus: What Fire Has Also Wrought coming soon.

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard
                        Not really, I'm thinking Blaque's guess is closer to the mark.
                        I was just adding to his thought.

Comment

I think it's just more expressive of how the dragonblooded have shaped the world with war and conquest, and they just picked the sort of cute elemental phrase for that.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                            and they just picked the sort of cute elemental phrase for that.
                            Probably could have done so without using a cliche that excludes 4 aspects.

Comment

Fire is associated with trials, with testing, with the scourging away of impurities, with hardening and sharpening. Think about the phrase "trial by fire." Think about the concept of crucibles. Think about "Walk Through the Fire" from the Buffy musical episode. Think of the One Ring forged in the fires of Mount Doom. Think about the phrase "getting fired." Think about firing clay.

"What Fire Has Wrought," is a shorthand way of saying, "what great hardship and conflict and strife and challenges overcome Have Wrought."

It's short, it's poetic, and it also jives well with the elemental powers of the people who are the book's subject matter. All in all, a solid title.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                              -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Working...
                              X