Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why "Dragon-Blooded- What Fire Has Wrought" as the title?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scarlet Empress just doesn't want to be spammed by Infallible Messengers, cause you know, that sucks...

Comment

Hmm... I'm not sure if the books ever make it explicit one way or the other, but I find the framing of the usual way we're told about the Scarlet Empress having been a minor officer of the Shogunate is a feature of the founding mythology of the Realm.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Going by some of the other things we have gotten about Lookshy and the Tiger Generals, at the very least the Scarlet Empress was not a terribly important or famous figure prior to taking control control of the Sword of Creation because none of these people had heard of her before.

Comment

I agree. While her mastery of the Realm Defense Grid was strangely fortuitous, it could have just been someone yanking the threads of Fate until someone close enough and competent enough managed to get to the control panels. Since all of her companions were killed by the defenses of the control Manse, it would have been relatively easy for her to just not tell anyone her name in order to keep an air of mystery about her.

Comment

Honestly?

I've always just figured that 'The Scarlet Empress' was her regnal name, but that her real one wasn't secret so much as obscure - known by and of interest to only historians studying the Shogunate and early-Realm periods, since her reign predated all but a literal handful of her subjects' lives.

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Originally posted by Valles View Post
              Honestly?

I've always just figured that 'The Scarlet Empress' was her regnal name, but that her real one wasn't secret so much as obscure - known by and of interest to only historians studying the Shogunate and early-Realm periods, since her reign predated all but a literal handful of her subjects' lives.

Agreed. I don't think the average Roman cared that Caesar Augustus' real name was Gaius Octavius during his reign, let alone decades or centuries after his death.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyzerg View Post
                Agreed. I don't think the average Roman cared that Caesar Augustus' real name was Gaius Octavius during his reign, let alone decades or centuries after his death.
                Octavius constantly changed his name because names were important to the Roman people.

When he was declared Caesar's heir, he changed his name to Gaius Julius Caesar because 'Octavius' was a plebeian name, and his origins would hurt his chances in politics. Unsurprisingly, his political rivals and critics referred to him as Octavianus while he was still alive. His humble origin and attempts to hide them by changing his name was source of political mockery.

Under the name Gaius Julius Caesar, he gained the loyalty of Julius Caesar's former troops and inflamed public opinion against his assassins. In fact, he used that name for about two decades and didn't take up 'Augustus' until the death of Mark Antony, long after he'd become beloved of the people, started the second trimvurate, and branded 300 senators as outlaws.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Originally posted by hippokrene View Post

*snip*.
                  Ah, that's all super interesting. I just randomly grabbed a name that I knew was a title. Cool to know.

Comment

To be honest... I don't think many would care what Aspect the Empress has. That she is Dragon-Blooded is enough... and that she has given birth to the current Great Houses (and many former Houses) of various aspects is all that people would really care about. Even in the various houses that have a strong leaning to one Aspect, you find Dragon-Bloods of a different Aspect. The Aspect of one's parents doesn't determine which Aspect you express... and as such, one's Aspect doesn't really hold that much meaning beyond that one Exalted.

​Furthermore... it is likely in the nearly 800 years that the Empress has reigned (over twice the length of the typical Dragon-Blooded lifespan) that she has increased her power to the point where she can use any Aspect. True... in 2nd Ed, these tended to be high Essence charms to express other Aspects... but given the changes in 3rd Ed already, there is no reason to assume that this won't be possible too.

​In the end, the Aspect the Empress is isn't likely to matter much in any game... even a Dragon-Blooded generational game from the early days of the Realm to the present. All that really matters is that the Empress is Dragon-Blooded... and in control of the most powerful device to ensure her rule. Beyond these facts... nothing else really matters.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Working...
                    X