Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon-Blooded Charm Previews

http://theonyxpath.com/dragon-bloode...eview-exalted/

Didn't see a thread for this yet, very interested in what you all think.

You can see a slight inclination towards Dragonblooded teamwork complementing the essential uses of some of these. That's cool to see. Dragon's Hidden Treasure is a neat charm, and the Essence 3 charms stand out positively in flavor and power. I like the descriptions for all of them, though a few could be bumped up a bit.

The matching element(s) of each charm being represented by keywords makes sense to me, whatever the eventual benefit might be. Treat them as favored purchases if they match the character's Aspect, I'd guess.
    Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 04-25-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I'll also throw down that Dragon's Hidden Treasure is a really cool one. Lots of cool stunt fodder in that nifty little Charm.

And the Spirit Chaining attack is really cool, too, being one of the teamwork Charms. Interesting that it only applies to other Dragon-Bloods...I like it.

Comment

Hmm, nothing too exciting, IMHO. I'd have certainly liked to see a combat Charm to get a feel for their power level or something else really evocative. Hiding things in stone is a neat trick, but not very flashy.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
        Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
        Some Lintha QCs
        A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

I would have liked to see one of their base dice adders, myself.

Comment

Following the River's Course really puzzles me. Does it only apply to transactions made with hard currency? If not and it also applies to transfers of ledger-wealth...how the heck does the ST decide how they obtained "that" money, exactly? What money, precisely? Money is fungible, and ledger-wealth is even more abstract. If a merchant prince who buys goods from you pays with money he has obtained across a broad array of transactions in different markets, do you learn about all of those transactions, and therefore all of the Intimacies that were upheld while doing so? For that matter, what level of detail is offered here? Do I learn just the goods and services he sold, or do I also learn where, and when, and to whom? What are the boundaries for the knowledge imparted?

It's a neat idea, but I have a hard time understanding how this would actually work in play.

EDIT: Reading the Unspoken Word is also a little vague. So...in the example of the guard of a secret meeting, does the Charm reveal that he is expecting to hear a password, or does it also let me know what the password is?
            Last edited by Ferryman; 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

Oh, cool, an anima Charm with a 1a cost. Don't remember offhand if we have any with a less-than-3a cost in the core.

Is... is Wild-Wandering Forester's Charm actually doing anything? Like, that looks a lot like something you should be able to just do with Survival, i.e., "I'ma roll to find some useful fever-treating herbs that grow in the area, because I have Survival 3+." I'm kinda underwhelmed there.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

Randomly pulling a lion's den into existence out of nothing but plot isn't something you can do with survival alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  Randomly pulling a lion's den into existence out of nothing but plot isn't something you can do with survival alone.
                  Is it not? I would probably let a player say, "Hey, can I roll to find a lion's den here in the savannah?" which seems like it functionally comes to the same thing (i.e., if they succeed at a difficulty I set, then yes, suddenly lion dens - which basically are the "declare a fact" rules).

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

Originally posted by Irked View Post
                    Oh, cool, an anima Charm with a 1a cost. Don't remember offhand if we have any with a less-than-3a cost in the core.

Is... is Wild-Wandering Forester's Charm actually doing anything? Like, that looks a lot like something you should be able to just do with Survival, i.e., "I'ma roll to find some useful fever-treating herbs that grow in the area, because I have Survival 3+." I'm kinda underwhelmed there.

A normal survival roll would go more like

PC: "I'm rolling to find shelter."
                    GM: "Difficulty 3"
                    PC: "I got 4"
                    GM: You find a small cave off the beaten track

Using this charm lets you say:

PC: "There's a large cave surrounded by an orchard that's more or less on our way to our destination. We should be able to easily shelter ourselves, our animals, and our servants in this cave and have ample food for the night."
                    GM: "Difficulty 3"

Basically the player being able to declare very specifically what he's looking for allows the player to ensure he gets more of a reward for his roll.

My Exalted Character Creation Tool may be downloaded here. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.
                    I have a rewrite of the craft system which can be downloaded here.

I like the Mesoamerican look.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      Kind of seems like it should be, though. I can't say I'm a big fan of requiring my players to spend XP on Charms before they're allowed to contribute collaboratively to the story.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

Originally posted by Irked View Post
                        It's very situational, but if you spend a lot of time in different wilderness environments, or your Wits + Survival pool is bigger than your Intelligence + Lore pool, or you want to be able to introduce facts more than once per scene, it's pretty decent.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                        [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                        [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

"Rolling to find" isn't the same as going "Hey, there's a lion's den at the foot of this cliff. I roll to kick this guy I'm fighting into it."

Comment

I guess that because it's a introduce a fact, the difference is maybe that:
                            Normal: "I roll Wits+Survival to look for a herb in this forest to cure the rare poison my brother was given. I get 4 successes." ST: "You're absolutely sure that no plant in this forest is suitable, but you know that it's in a different forest, far, far away."
                            This charm: "I roll Wits+Survival to declare that this forest has a super-rare herb in it that can cure my brother."
                            ST: "Difficulty 4."
                            Player: "I succeed!"
                            ST: "Well done, you found a cure!"

Of course, this charm is maybe one of those that lets you do something the rules don't technically allow (introduce a fact with Survival rather than Lore) but which a lot of STs would probably let you do anyway, tbh. I mean, in the above example, I probably would let people do, but technically you can't.

Edit: I see my comments have already been made.

Anyhow, overall I like these charms because they don't just let you do a human thing better, they actually let you do stuff a human can't do. They give you more options, and this makes them more interesting to play with, IMO.
                            It's also interesting to see an Earth/Wood occult charm, Fire war charm, Earth larceny charm, Fire investigation charm, etc. We don't yet know yet how that'll work mechanically, but they do seem to work thematically sensibly. Hopefully it'll make playing an Earth-aspected detective and a Fire-aspected detective a bit different (unlike the previous edition), so make groups a bit more flexible (though I assume at higher levels, there'll be more crossover).

Interestingly, I note that the Water-Presence charm has Fire-aspected prerequisites (I mean, Burning Passion Mien's got to be Fire).

Oh, and finally, I think these charms are more mechanically clear than the ones in the Core book, which I found one of the major weaknesses of the Core.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Yaaaay! Terrestrial previews!

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Working...
                              X