Bigger is Better (SFW)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger is Better (SFW)

If you guy don't mind me ask something, but how often does your characters use Artifact weapons that are ridiculously huge ?

Since all of the Solar in my Circle uses........those weapons in the above picture and I want to know whether the enemies will say "Kiyahh, your magic stick is so long and big (゚Д゚)".
    Last edited by Jen; 04-30-2017, 05:52 AM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Gauntlets are cool, as is what I presume to be the cannon-club in the middle. That scythe's head is disproportionately large to its shaft. The hammer, yeah. That's too big. And on the right...

That's not an axe. It approximates one, but no matter what scale it might be there's simply no way to wield it. Except, perhaps, as a beat-stick with a choppy bit attached.

Riffing aside, I do like the designs! Really ornate, but the artist clearly took the time to invest each weapon with its own personality.

To be honest, if I had to pick which one I would like to meet least in an alley, it would be the dude on the right. All the others are scary weapons. That guy chooses to wield something that could only be deemed a weapon by a wide and sadistic stretch of the imagination. The fact that he probably can use it to lethal and frightening effect despite its apparent flaws speaks volumes.

Comment

In my games, Artifact-weapons are basically the same size of their mortal counterparts. Their effectiveness comes from the magic within them, not because they are large enough to use as a dining table.

To be frank, I find the oversized BFS-animu-shtick of "vanilla" artifact-weapons and such to be hilariously ridiculous.

It probably helps to say that, in my games, mortals can use Artifact-weapons as mundane versions of the weapon a "step above". For example: a mortal could use a Daiklave (a Medium weapon) as a mundane Great Sword (a Heavy weapon).

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
        In my games, Artifact-weapons are basically the same size of their mortal counterparts. Their effectiveness comes from the magic within them, not because they are large enough to use as a dining table.

To be frank, I find the oversized BFS-animu-shtick of "vanilla" artifact-weapons and such to be hilariously ridiculous.

It probably helps to say that, in my games, mortals can use Artifact-weapons as mundane versions of the weapon a "step above". For example: a mortal could use a Daiklave (a Medium weapon) as a mundane Great Sword (a Heavy weapon).

You know, I like that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Nester64 View Post
          as is what I presume to be the cannon-club in the middle
          It is a cannon-club ! And I was afraid that people won't know what kind of weapon it is......

Originally posted by Nester64 View Post
          That's not an axe. It approximates one, but no matter what scale it might be there's simply no way to wield it. Except, perhaps, as a beat-stick with a choppy bit attached.
          It's actually a sheath for a much slimmer Grimscythe, he's only use that humongous axe to beat up mook and for intimidate purpose.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

On occasion I've played folks who use grand daiklaves or other massive two-hander artifacts. Most of my characters however tend to go for what in Ex3 are Medium weapons though...so in that case it kind of depends on what you consider ridiculously huge.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

I don't use them on my characters and my default mental images of other characters typically have them with large-but-not-that-large weapons.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Depends on the character. Sometimes I, or the players in my group, will want smaller, more subtle weapons. Small easily concealable knives, or maybe someone wants to go with a katana-type weapon so they can do cool sword draw techniques. Other times though, we'll make a character and just want some ridiculously oversized weapon. One campaign our Dawn was walking around with a warstrider sized Grand Daiklave. It was so big, the sword would basically swing him around.

I guess overall, I'd say about 60/40 with players wanting smaller or regular weapons, vs wanting massive oversized weapons.

Comment

In my mind the overall vastness of the artifact weapon can vary depending on its class.

Like, a shortklave is pretty much standard-tier sword, just made of magical material.

Medium weapons like daiklaves and non-grand weapons, those might be a BIT bigger than a mortal weapon in its class, but in the same ballpark.

Now in my mind, if you're calling your weapon a Grand Whatever, then it's big. Maybe not quite as big as the mega-ax that Jen drew, but big. (Well the hammer probably is acceptable)

Also, of the weapons shown... I think my favorites are the Bling Gauntlets and the Cannon Club.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Hmm.

Active and previously active characters in my stable...

Copper Rashi - wields a greatsword/grand daiklave scaled for a warstrider, twenty feet of blade and five feet of hilt.
                    Precious - has a light daiklave that's basically an ordinary arming sword made out of MM. (Well, OK, it's Caliburn from FSN.)
                    Venshae - a pair of magic bracers that gave her Assassin's Creed tricks like the hidden blade.
                    Adiva - magical prosthetics made of solid orichalcum. Plus brawl charms. Probably the most dangerous of the lot in most contexts.
                    Bounteous Joy - conventional daiklave, blade ~5' long, 4-5" wide, 1/2" thick, about a foot of hilt.

Also, love love love the designs for the hammer and scythe up there, Jen. Gorgeous.

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Personal tendency: Dynasty Warriors. Weapons are at the upper end of normal size without being quite so ridonk huge as the axe or hammer up there. They have human hand-sized grips, but typically larger blades or striking surfaces, and tend to be more proportional to the wielder.

Comment

What does that mandala say? I see xa, gu, and ke, but what's the fourth glyph?

Comment

I don't like the surfboard artifact swords, but Exalted is filled with them.

I headcanon that there was a period in the First Age where overly large swords were trendy. That's where all the stupid big swords come from.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                            I don't like the surfboard artifact swords, but Exalted is filled with them.

I headcanon that there was a period in the First Age where overly large swords were trendy. That's where all the stupid big swords come from.
                            I mean.... weapons were the sizes they were in real life for a reason, after all.

Even if you discount weight, the larger a weapon is, the more leverage it is going to take to swing it, the more momentum it is going to build (and the harder it is going to be to stop), and it will get "stuck" on more stuff in the environment.

I mean...... my spatha is a pretty standard 28 inches blade-length, and I still get stuck in doorframes and bushes if I'm not careful. I can only imagine the hilarity you encounter when swinging a 5-6-foot-long sword when there are low-hanging branches or a ceiling overhead

Comment

Originally posted by Meianno Yuurei View Post
                              Personal tendency: Dynasty Warriors. Weapons are at the upper end of normal size without being quite so ridonk huge as the axe or hammer up there. They have human hand-sized grips, but typically larger blades or striking surfaces, and tend to be more proportional to the wielder.
                              Huge weapons in DW are the least of its issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X