My first Exalted character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Exalted character

Since I don't expect to be able to play Exalted in the foreseeable future (D&D and Pathfinder have kind of a stranglehold on the local RPG scene), allow me to present my first Exalted character:

Hakaan the Threefold Enlightened
    Twilight Caste historian, sorcerer, and martial artist

As a Research Fellow in the Department of History of the University of Great Forks, Hakaan is what might be termed an "official scavenger." He spends his days travelling around the Scavenger Lands, sifting First Age ruins for knowledge and the occasional artifact. As he pieced together a picture of the lost Age, it became clear that the Realm's version of events differed in many ways from what had actually happened. Hakaan labored long over a thesis paper propounding the idea that the official histories were deeply flawed, and in so doing experienced an epiphany: the official histories weren't just wrong, they were lies. Someone had deliberately set out to conceal the true history of Creation. In the instant of realization, Hakaan became Exalted.

Naturally, Hakaan's thesis is ridiculed as conspiracy-theorist nonsense in all respectable academic circles. On the other hand, it did bring him to the attention of a certain member of the Bronze Faction...

Perception •••
    Intelligence ••••
    Wits ••••

Strength ••
    Dexterity ••••
    Stamina •••

Charisma ••
    Manipulation •••
    Appearance ••

Supernal Ability
    Lore (History) •••

Caste Abilities
    Bureaucracy [Academic] ••
    Integrity [No Time For Your Bullshit] ••
    Linguistics [Scholarly Documents] ••
    Occult •••

Favored Abilities
    Brawl •
    Martial Arts (Single Point Shining Into the Void) •••
    Athletics ••
    Awareness [Traps] ••
    Resistance ••
    Survival ••

Other Abilities
    Dodge •
    Performance •
    Ride •
    Socialize •
    Melee ••

Merits
    Backing (University of Great Forks) ••
    Language (High Realm) •
    Language (Low Realm) •
    Language (Forest-tongue) •
    Martial Artist ••••
    Resources (University salary plus research funding) •
    Mentor (Gold Faction Sidereal Chosen of Secrets) •••
    Eidetic Memory ••
    Direction Sense •

Charms & Spells
    Harmonious Academic Methodology
    First Knowledge's Grace
    Terrestrial Circle Sorcery
    Stormwind Rider (control spell)
    Infallible Messenger
    Invulnerable Skin of Bronze
    Gathering Light Concentration
    Shining Starfall Execution
    Ox-Body Technique
    Body-Mending Meditation
    Spirit-Detecting Glance
    Uncanny Perception Technique
    Keen Unnatural Eye
    Food-Gathering Exercise
    Deft Official's Way
    Whirling Brush Method
    Dipping Swallow Defense

Intimacies
    Defining: Uncover and publish the true history of Creation (Pursuit of knowledge)
    Major: Expose the authors of the false history (Contempt)
    Major: Restore my reputation as a scholar (Ego)
    Minor: Increase the University's stature as a place of learning (Loyalty)
    Minor: Patronize Mrs. Wu's House of Dumplings (Damn, those are good dumplings)

Limit Trigger
    I am prevented from gaining new knowledge regarding Creation's true history, or the identity and/or motives of those concealing it.
    Last edited by Hakkonen; 05-01-2017, 11:05 PM. Reason: GOLD Faction, not Bronze. Herp a derp.

Something to be aware of is that higher essence Solar charms have a tendency to hit ability 5 very fast and it can be less than fun to have to spend xp boosting abilities in play just to grab a charm you want. I'm not saying you need to have a 5 in everything or even that you need to have a 5 at all, but I would suggest looking over the charms again and, if there are any that you really want to pick up later, you should consider trying to make sure you hit the ability prereqs for them at character generation. Especially since you have other stuff you can spend your Solar xp on, like spells and MA charms.

Otherwise he looks pretty good. Seems like a cool guy.

Comment

Is your ST running Limit Breaks different then the Core? If not, you don't choose your Limit Break, that's up to the ST and should be tailored to whatever event triggered the Break. I'm saying this not to point out a possible mistake, but more to inform. Several new players I just picked up were having the same misunderstanding!

It's mentioned on page 135 of the Core if you want to look it over.

Comment

Originally posted by TalosX View Post
        Is your ST running Limit Breaks different then the Core? If not, you don't choose your Limit Break, that's up to the ST and should be tailored to whatever event triggered the Break. I'm saying this not to point out a possible mistake, but more to inform. Several new players I just picked up were having the same misunderstanding!

It's mentioned on page 135 of the Core if you want to look it over.
        Aha! I missed that part; thank you. I have edited the OP accordingly.

Comment

I could be miscounting here, but I think you sitll have 2 BP to spend.

I have created a character creation tool. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.

I like the Mesoamerican look.

Comment

Hmmm...what game is that mentor of yours playing at, I wonder?

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
            -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Yes, a Bronze Faction Sidereal should be killing Solar Exalted, not helping them. Of course, she could be using the Solar Exalted as a Judas goat, allowing her to draw out other Solar Exalted so that they can be slaughtered and always making sure that her Judas goat survives.

Comment

Originally posted by Demac View Post
                I could be miscounting here, but I think you sitll have 2 BP to spend.
                4 points for Melee ••
                5 points for Dipping Swallow Defense
                3 points for Mentor •••
                2 points for Eidetic Memory ••
                1 point for Direction Sense •
                4+5+3+2+1=15

I did, however, herp a derp on my mentor's faction. He is a member of the Gold Faction, not the Bronze. I have updated the OP. *facepalm*

Comment

Why would you not have Melee as a Favored Ability?

Comment

Because I wanted Single Point Shining Into the Void. I went back and forth a couple of times on Hakaan's starting martial art; I liked Single Point initially, but then I decided Snake style fit the character better. Alas, Snake is incompatible with medium armor, which Invulnerable Skin of Bronze counts as, so I went back to Single Point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post

4 points for Melee ••
                      5 points for Dipping Swallow Defense
                      3 points for Mentor •••
                      2 points for Eidetic Memory ••
                      1 point for Direction Sense •
                      4+5+3+2+1=15

I did, however, herp a derp on my mentor's faction. He is a member of the Gold Faction, not the Bronze. I have updated the OP. *facepalm*
                      If you use your 28 free ranks of ability points to purchase the melee instead of two favored/caste abilities, then you can use your bonus points to purchase the favored/caste abilities at a cheaper cost giving you two extra bonus points to spend.

I have created a character creation tool. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.

Comment

If it could help you, I have spreadsheet that I gradually created over time to help my table with character creation. The intention was always to abandon modifying this spreadsheet once Anathama came out, except for when new splats drop and Anathama can't handle them yet. But then Anathama production sort of ground to a halt (such is the way of free projects). In understand others have picked it up and are almost done but in the mean time, this sheet can automatically calculate the most efficient way to spend BP on Attributes and Abilities. It can be found here if you want to use it:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Gc?usp=sharing

Comment

I am not quite sure of the utility of having Melee and Martial Arts (Single Point). I think it would be greater utility to take the four points in Melee and increase Brawl to 3 and Martial Arts (Single Point) to 5. Or you could purchase Martial Arts (Tiger Style) 2 and Martial Arts (Single Point) 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                            I am not quite sure of the utility of having Melee and Martial Arts (Single Point). I think it would be greater utility to take the four points in Melee and increase Brawl to 3 and Martial Arts (Single Point) to 5. Or you could purchase Martial Arts (Tiger Style) 2 and Martial Arts (Single Point) 5.
                            The utility is that Melee has better defensive charms than both of those martial arts styles. Snake Style has better defense than both Single Point and Tiger Style, but if the point is to use his sword to parry defenses, then Melee is the way to go. Whether it's Melee, Dodge, of Snake Style though, he's going to need to invest in another ability beyond Single Point to have good defensive charms beyond his excellency.

Comment

Working...
                            X