Mandatory Charms for Starting Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Charms for Starting Characters

With 15 charms to pick and excellencies being free, picking out charms for the first time is going to be daunting for my players. Any guidelines for this? Are there certain charms that your groups have taken every time such as OBT, BMM, awareness, or combat and SI defensive charms?

There are no "mandatory" charms, since different types of characters will have different needs. However, assuming you are playing an average campaign, I would recommend the following:
    Dipping Swallow Defense or Shadow Over Water or Iron Battle Focus. Basically, assuming your character goes into combat, having something to negate Onslaught is great.
    Harmonious Presence Meditation is a great charm that only requires Presence 2, and it allows you to add a bunch of dice to all Social rolls you make. Great charm, I take it often.

Apart from these, the exact charms vary tremendously based on concept, however, I do have some more guidelines:
    • Try not to grab more then 3 charms in one ability at Char Gen,with the exception of your Supernal, where you can take 6. This means you'll have charms in at least four different abilities, reducing the chance you'll spend a lot of time doing nothing.
    • In general, look for charms that allow you to apply your Abilities in fun and cool ways. What I mean by this is: dice tricks are fun, but charms like Watchman’s Infallible Eye or Harmonious Academic Methodology let you do more cool stuff then merely "I roll a ton of successes".
    • Don't buy too many or too few combat charms. If you have a lot of experience with more combat-oriented RPG's it can be tempting to only buy combat charms and end up with a character that never does anything interesting unless they are fighting. On the other hand, too few combat charms and you'll most likely end up a smear on the wall in the first combat. I find that the minimum of 4 is a good spot, and no more then half your charms should be combat.

EDIT: Oops, forgot something:
    • If your players are a bit more experienced in RPG's in general, have them take a look at Integrity and make sure they know which charms they want to pick up. Because Integrity is the only way to defend against Social Influence, it's typically pretty useful to have a few charms and some dots. Don't forget that because of the Bridge Keyword, you can grab charms without meeting the normal Prerequisites and get reduced cost even if Integrity isn't Favored.
    • Don't forget that except for your Supernals, you can only access Essence 1 charms. So, while it's easy to get overwhelmed by the choices, you can't actually grab most of them without higher Essence.
    Last edited by wern212; 05-01-2017, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I have yet to actually play 3E, but I'm given to understand that one of the design goals was to not have it include an charms so good they had to be mandatory. I can't say I know if that's true or if it worked.

There are plenty of charms that are mandatory for a specific role, of course, but I don't think there are many, if any, that every character needs.

If you want to survive combat, there are a few things that are going to be very handy: Ox bodies, awareness boosters (both to avoid sneak attacks and start with a high initiative pool) and anything that will boost your attack accuracy are highly recommended. Dodge and stealth are good if you want to be able to escape. Athletics if you're a close combat character to make sure you catch your target.
      But there are so many things that are very useful, that you still have to pick and choose, even with 15 starting charms.

Yes, daunting new players, or even returning players trying to get a mental grip on 3E, is definitely this edition's specialty.

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by wern212 View Post
        *snip*
        Thanks! I was wondering how much the supernal ability actually influenced charm purchase and 6 charms seems like a good target number to tell my players.

With withering attacks, the game seems a lot less fatal compared to previous editions. This probably allows players to branch out more towards their concepts and less on survival in combat.

Comment

Excellencies. They are, literally, mandatory. You can't avoid taking one for which you are eligible.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post
            Excellencies. They are, literally, mandatory. You can't avoid taking one for which you are eligible.

But you have them for free if you have Favoured or Caste, or have a Charm in that ability, so I find this message a bit... redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post

But you have them for free if you have Favoured or Caste, or have a Charm in that ability, so I find this message a bit... redundant.

Then everything is as it should be. Carry on.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tyzerg View Post

Yeah, I know. I got it after I posted, but it was too late now. I have been a bit derpy all day XD

Comment

Yeah, I know. I got it after I posted, but it was too late now. I have been a bit derpy all day XD
                    I figured. I just like using that meme haha

Comment

Personally, I'd recommend Ox-Body Technique, Sensory Acuity Prana so you can get the Awareness Excellency, an Athletics Charm to unlock the Excellency so you can Rush, a Dodge Charm to unlock the Excellency so you can disengage, and something that buffs your Defense (which is redundant with the Dodge charm if that's what you use).

Monkey Leap Technique and Lightning Speed are the best options for Athletics if you don't want to go too deep into the tree. Monkey Leap Technique lets you move through difficult terrain in one action and Lightning Speed also supplements your rushes.

For Dodge, Reed in the Wind and Dust Motes Swirling are the best combination if you just want to use Dodge to disengage, but Reed in the Wind is redundant with Parry-based Charms if you prefer to use those and the Ability requirements for Dust Motes Swirling are pretty high. You get more bang for your buck if you don't use Melee or certain Martial Arts as your main combat Ability, but if you want a fallback option in case you lose your weapon, it's not a bad deal, and you can always wait a bit before picking up parry Charms in play.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Thunderbolt Attack Prana is by no means mandatory, but it is overwhelmingly powerful to the extent that it probably dwarfs any other three-Charm combat investment you can make.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                        Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

If there is anything resembling mandatory charms the game has failed at one of its basic design goals.

That said the closest thing to a mandatory charm in 3e is Ox-Body. Those extra health levels pay off in 3e combat. It's not really mandatory, so much as it's probably the universally safest charm pick you can have.

This of course changes if you're playing in some kind of min-max environment, which is probably deadlier than 2e, but you're asking an entirely different question if you're dealing with that.

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                            Thunderbolt Attack Prana is by no means mandatory, but it is overwhelmingly powerful to the extent that it probably dwarfs any other three-Charm combat investment you can make.
                            Well, you have to successfully disengage to use it (or be at short range in the first place), so you can't spam it or just use it for any old attack.

Comment

I'll add my voice to the chorus in favor of Ox Body Technique. While it's not strictly speaking mandatory, it is a hugely effective safety net and not demanding at all. It's so easy and so good that not picking it up at all seems like a deliberate choice.

Sensory Acuity Prana is good, but I'd only call it a must-have if you don't already favor Awareness. If the Awareness Excellency isn't already unlocked for you then it is absolutely worth the pick, though.

This one is more my opinion, but I think three dots in Stealth to pick up Easily Overlooked Presence Method is one of the best investments that a character can make. The Charm itself is extremely useful for operating in "hostile" territory (which for Solars is most of the known world), and it also unlocks the Stealth Excellency. With even an average Dexterity score this will allow a player to have a decent Stealth dice pool if they need it, which opens up a whole array of options. It broadens your possibilities so much for such a small investment that I'd have a hard time passing it up. Granted this will be character dependent, but I can't think of any characters I've played or seen played that didn't find themselves at some point wanting to go unnoticed. In this case a few Ability dots and a single Charm does a whole lot for you.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

Working...
                              X