Wyld Hunts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyld Hunts

I was wondering if anyone had created a Wyld Hunt they would be willing to share? I tend to divide a Wyld Hunt into ten Battle Groups. The first through fifth groups consist of a Size 2, Drill (Elite), Might 1 scale of heavy infantry led by an Experienced DB each. The sixth through tenth groups consist of a Size 1, Drill (Elite), Might 3 fang of Immaculate DB led by an Experienced DB modified with the Immaculate DB package. With 35 DB and 125 heavy infantry, a Wyld Hunt should be a legitimate threat to most Anathema Circles.

That's not how Battle Groups work - you don't just divide a huge mass of identical troops into a bunch of smaller BGs just because that'd be more challenging.

Comment

Technically, with those numbers, it should be 1 125 Heavy Infantry group (Don't know the size of this off hand. Size 3 maybe?) with each of the DB's probably being their own quick character as Exalts normally aren't supposed to be rolled into being a Battle Group.

Comment

I think that the Wyld Hunt acts in a different fashion that one mass battle group. They harass, rather than swarm, to weaken the Anathema. After all, they do not want to lose DB to Anathema.

I imagine that the Wyld Hunt would divide into five groups when they are hunting for an Anathema (1 group of DB Monks and 1 group of Heavy Infantry each). The Heavy Infantry would drive the Anathema towards a waiting DB Monk group and would disengage before the DB Monk group ambushes the Anathema because mortal troops die when interacting with two groups of Exalted. If the Anathema retreats, the Heavy Infantry group attacks.

The other four groups would be hunting down the allies and supporters of the Anathema. Of course, if a Circle of Anathema forces the issue, you could just have a Circle of Anathema against a Size 3 group of heavy infantry supported by a swarm of DB, but I think that would be much worse for the Anathema (since a circle of five Anathema would each be attacked an average of 8 times per turn).
        Last edited by Aya Tari; 05-02-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

It's not very canon, but I've always handled Wyld Hunts using the Rule of Ninja. If 125 Heavy Infantry and 35 DB turn up, you're probably alright. At least, you'll know they're coming. 50 Infantry and 15 DBs are a challenge. 5 Immaculate monks and a dozen retainers, the Realm knows you are Solar Anathema and has prioritised your death. One old abbot with a limp and rasping cough? TPK-territory.

Comment

One elderly Sidereal Martial Artist against five experienced Solar Exalted is hardly a fair fight. The Solar Exalted would be dead before they can act during the first turn because the elderly Sidereal will use Grandmother Spider Mastery to kill them before they can move.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
              One elderly Sidereal Martial Artist against five experienced Solar Exalted is hardly a fair fight. The Solar Exalted would be dead before they can act during the first turn because the elderly Sidereal will use Grandmother Spider Mastery to kill them before they can move.
              You're being silly, Aya Tari - at this point I have to wonder whether you're trolling us again.

‚ÄčAll Grandmother Spider Mastery (which hasn't even been adapted for Ex3 yet!) lets you do is make two attacks to everyone you can see. So even if the Sidereal magically wins the initiative roll to go first (not guaranteed), it doesn't stop a Solar with a single introductory Brawl Charm from deciding to go first regardless of Initiative order and pound his face; besides, even if he does go and make both attacks and land them against every opponent, that's not enough to auto-kill the experienced Solar circle.
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-02-2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Anyway, the primary question still stands, how do you use the Wyld Hunt in your games? What tactics do they use against the Anathema? How has the Empress vanishing impacted the Wyld Hunt in your games?

Comment

As long as battle groups aren't being all used in 1 combat, sounds fine. My Wyld Hunts are often less mortal heavy. They tend to be a circle or two of DBs, including Immaculates, who sneak into an area with the Immaculates to stir trouble and use mortals at hand for support. My immaculates are more hit squad assains than crusdaers (typically).

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                  Many Limbed Manual
                  Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                  San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                  My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Anyway, the primary question still stands, how do you use the Wyld Hunt in your games? What tactics do they use against the Anathema? How has the Empress vanishing impacted the Wyld Hunt in your games?

Expanding on that:
                    The Wyld Hunt is either exterminating all they can find who have contacted the Solar systematically, picking off weaker or isolated worshipers (Peleps Deled is influenial here). They often try to attack many places at once, forcing a divide of resources and retreat into the shadows. They are the hunter, the anathema is prey. Eventually, all the Anathema followers are dead, and hopefully so is the Anathema.

Alternatively, the Wyld Hunt causes disruptions to the solar or lunar's life. They sow civil wars, they cause drougths, they burn storehouses. They sow disruption, and then in the chaos take out the anathem and their lieutenants udner any means possible. They slip long lasting poisions into grain, they slit throats at night, they pay mortals off to attack in the night, they lit houses on fire. They attack or take hostage loved ones. This is calcuated to reveal _who_ the solar is. After all, a night caste or Lunar can look like anyone at anytime. Nailing down the Anathema's identiy is key.
                    Once they find the anathema, and assess tactics from earlier chaos, they focus on closing the anathema's weakeness. Personal or poltiical, combat or not, they attack in unexpected ways in order to set their opponent off guard. Ideally, they never fight the Anathema. A knife from an Immaculate monk finds its way into their back, but its better from a noble who's bought off then the Dragonblooded themselves. A battle, if needed, is always as unfair as can be. Fire roaring everywhere, outnumbered, and without a crowd to run into.
                    Then they die.

The Wyld Hunt in my game has mostly be absent since the Empresses disappered. Also, the players have been exceptionally cautious (only one has bonfired and it's been passed off by the Eclipse as another demons work. They've also avoided the Realm like the plauge). The Emperess's loss has caused the local wyld hunt into a loyalty dilemna, as the matriarch of one of PArsaad's houses is aiming ot make a power play for independence and is a renowned huntsman of Anathema.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                    Many Limbed Manual
                    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

I have multiple issues with the premises of the OP.

First, historically a Wyld Hunt isn't 35 DBs. That is actually a lot even for DB numbers, to have all in one place at one time. Kind of thing on context here, there's on average under one thousand Dragon-Blooded per Great House. Until the last five years a Wyld Hunt probably was more 4-10 shikari in a cadre, some who operated out of a base location and the rest volunteering as needed. Not all shikari are frontline dudes in blazing armor either. The base chapter might have had maybe 30 to 80 indivdiual shikari of varying permanency. They include intelligence-collection, assassins and so on. A Wyld Hunt is a church-sponsored police aciton, not a full unit sent into the field. This is because historically, Wyld Hunts werne't going to kill Circles of Anathema. They were going afteranAnathema, be it one of the score or so of Solars not in the Jade Prison or a young Lunar who got caught before they managed to get to protection.

Second, this idea that you need to outnumber PCs 7-to-1 for the DBs to be a "challenge" is kind of hyperbole. Dragon-Blooded even in previous ediitons wiht the right coordinaiton are capable of overwhelming Solars who are not prepared. Not every Solar Anathema is an Invincible Sword Princess and in cases where things did get pretty bad like wiht the Anathema Jochim, this is when the actual Legions get called in. The Wyld Hunt doesn't casually through entire scales worth of Dragon-Blooded at problems. The Legions are who do that. Dragon-Blooded aren't the "fodder Exalt". I'd argue even the idea of lumping 25 of htem into battlegroups is contrary to what battlegroups are in relation to Exalts.

Third, you misuse the battle group rules by a bit. Might repreents supernaturla power, end of story. It doesn't matter that the mortal units are being led by DBs. They themselves dont' hae Charms and the Realm doesn't mass produce magic on a scale to allow them notable magical enchantment and so they would be Might 0. This kind of goes with the DBs, who by the very description of Might 3 says that yeah, that's the rating you use for them but when you don't generally have enough DBs around to lump into that and they're usually one group. And as others pointed your entire structure is gaming the system in the exact way the game says not to game the system. Groups 1-5 would be a single Size 3 group and in the hypothetical case of a DB battelgroup it'd be Size 2, not five Size 1s.

In the current era of the Realm, a Wyld Hunt is probably still like it historically was just with less than it had, not more. It'll typcially be about half a dozen, but as many as about ten or so individual shikari of varying age, but typically folks who are experienceed combatents or looking to be so through the Wyld Hunt. At least one will be an Immcaulte monk in formal Immaculate Order hunts, but the level of membership otherwise is variable. Their retinue would probably include monks permanently stationed at the base of operations, but might laso include personal retinue of individual Exalts (older and more veteran secular ones might for instnace have former officers or retainers with them).

As I mentioned earlier, the group is probably actually somewhat ragtag compared to what I think folks expect. It's monks might be in pretty good order and shape, but the volunteer nature of the Hunt historically means folks come and go, donate weapons on hold by the base of operations and might have Exalts there because they'd rather not deal wtih say, House politics or the current Game of Thrones shit going on in build-up to a Civil War. It will also often have folks who have a martial or an espionage bent I think. It will also not be the entirity of that particular base's people, mind. The example one all the way back in Cult of the Illuminated's only good chapter said it had 70 at its peak, but that was a really long time ago and now there are 31, but that they're not htere half the time, only help when they feel like it and so on. Ancillary troops number about a talon's worth but note that's for the whole chapterhouse. So again, the actula mission unless they're going all-out isn't going to probably see a Size 3 group unless the Exalts brought their own.

So in short, a typical Wyld hunt is going to likely be a handful of powerful indinvidual DBs (they're probably QCs so can have Charms to make them individually powerful enough ot handle the Solars and such) with maybe some pre-fight info-gathering, a group of maybe a couple dozen to maybe a hundred troops depending on how serious they thought the threat was (ie, Size 2 or 3, but Elite Drill) that doesn't have supernatural gear on thmesleves (so Might 0). The DBs might have demons or elementals with them if any of the shikari were sorcerers and they might be able to if available requisite troops from a local legion if need be.

This normally is actually quite a threat to a single Solar. If it is known to be a Forsaken they'll probably defnitely bring more dudes but not to the scale on the OP. Think more like six harrier shikari or a full talon. And if the Circle has more htan one combat wombat, then I think that the Wyld Hunt actually in these numbers can't meaningfully destroy them is feature, not a bug. They ahve at that point pushed things to need bigger resources to take down by the Realm, something which may or may not happen, but yeah. ANd even then, it won't be a Size 2 battlegroup of DBs.

And stuff.
                      Last edited by Blaque; 05-03-2017, 12:45 PM.

And stuff.
                      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

I run Wyld Hunts with similar make-ups to what we've seen them using in the Exalted novels. So somewhere between 3-8 Dragonbloods, and then 0-3 battlegroups (none of which exceed Sized 2). Occasionally You can replace one of the Dragonbloods with a Sidereal to up the punch of the Hunts. These numbers reflect most of the typical Wyld Hunts that were seen operating in Creation around the canon timeline.1

Comment

When I ST or write it depend on if the location of the anathema is already known. The sids might figure out the general area an exaltation will take place, or seeing a lot of essence being used in an area; but they can't provide exact intel. Then there are also the intel coming through temples, military postings, allies, or other mundane channels.

So more often than not, it is a matter of casting a net and tighten it until the anathema is located. In a way, this is sort of similar to the board game Scotland Yard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Yard_(board_game) For this, both Realm and local troops can be used, and it can boil down to politics (a Solar or Lunar isn't safe from Wyld Hunts just because they for example are in the Scavenger Lands, but the Hunt might not want to be mistaken for being part of an invasion force).

When/if the anathema is located, the handful of Dragon-bloods will engage the anathema.

Before the Empress disappeared, I imagine more than one Hunt actually could be dispatched, to investigate separate leads that might be the same anathema. If it turned out to be a pack of them or a more powerful one (Lunars), then they might merge into a larger Hunt before engaging. Still, that kind of hunt was perhaps once a decade, and a smaller one maybe once a year.

Then, behind the scenes, there could be two or three sids dedicated to try tracking the loom for one single anathema, sending instructions to the Hunt to increase their chance of locating their prey. Having DB sorcerers using Infallible Messenger, and the Dragon-Bloods coordinating by using the Wind-Carried Words Technique Charm, and the net will be quite effective.

The return of the Solars have also meant the Lunars being more active in Creation. So even if there had been the same amount of resources to commit to hunting them down, they would still be spread thin. So a hunt can be even a single DB and the "net" can be used as a primary fighting force, which can be more than enough to deal with newly minted exalts that isn't combat oriented.

So the current day (the next few years after the Empress absence has become public), beside being weaker because the focus is inward, they are not getting as much information as they used to from the sids, and not being as many Dragon-bloods on each hunt also means they can't coordinate each hunt as well as they used to.

Comment

Working...
                          X