Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing Gunpowder Firearms to Creation (House Rules)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Gunpowder Firearms to Creation (House Rules)

I was wondering if anyone else has introduced gunpowder firearms to Creation in their games and, if so, how did you represent them? I have been playing around with them ever since the first versions of 3e came out for Kickstarters and have come up with the following house rules for gunpowder firearms. Please feel free to share any house rules you have for gunpowder firearms.

1. Firearms are slow and require (twenty minus (Dexterity plus Archery)) turns to reload.

2. Firearms are deadly and deal two points of Initiative damage per damage success on a withering attack or two health levels of damage per damage success on a decisive attack.

3. Firearms are loud and automatically break non-magical stealth when fired.

4. Firearms are penetrating and ignore non-magical armor (using only base soak to resist damage from withering attacks).

I ..... largely just use the "regular" flamepiece rules, with the exception of giving them the Piercing Tag as well as making flamepieces Medium Range as opposed to Short. I also jack up the price of both firewands and flamepieces by one Resource dot apiece, to represent them being almost-solely individual commissioned pieces.

Comment

Holden did a perfectly serviceable job providing firearms stats the last time you discussed introducing firearms to the Exalted setting, Aya Tari… though your position on them seems to have changed pretty drastically, since last time you suggested they double successes on all attack and damage rolls, for free.

I must ask, what brought this about? Between this and your discussing the prevalence of magic in the Underworld versus Creation and the costs of sorcery versus thaumaturgy, you're treading quite a bit of old ground.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-07-2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

A lot of stuff changes in a year. I have made my peace with 3e rules and I am just interested in the changes that other people make to the rules with their house rules. Which is why I am asking people to share their house rules concerning gunpowder firearms.

Comment

I did this like a week after 3e came out.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
          Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            Holden did a perfectly serviceable job http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/886506-first-age-technology?p=887552#post887552"]providing firearms stats[/URL] the last time you discussed introducing firearms to the Exalted setting, Aya Tari… though http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/886506-first-age-technology/page4#post887406"]your position on them[/URL] seems to have changed pretty drastically, since last time you suggested they double successes on all attack and damage rolls, for free.

I must ask, what brought this about? Between this and your discussing the prevalence of magic in the Underworld versus Creation and the costs of sorcery versus thaumaturgy, you're treading quite a bit of old ground.
            Jesus Christ, that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
              1. Firearms are slow and require (twenty minus (Dexterity plus Archery)) turns to reload.
              Is this up to ten turns without doing anything? I would rather drop the gun after one shot and pull out a dagger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post

Is this up to ten turns without doing anything? I would rather drop the gun after one shot and pull out a dagger.
                That houserule is .... weird, to say the least. A skilled user could reload a musket in around 10 seconds, with 20 seconds or so being the norm for green troops, and up to a minute or longer for skirmishers (who used tighter-fitting balls and more careful procedures, in order to ensure more accuracy)

A 'standard' round in Exalted is generally three seconds, so if we assume the user is of average Drill and skill (aka 2 dots in each), it would take the average user almost 50 seconds to reload a firearm.

As for your suggestion, that is generally what people did..... or they flipped the firearm around and used it like a club, or carried more than one firearm (usually a brace of pistols)

Comment

Well, that is an average of fifteen turns spent loading, which may be part of a flurry is a stunt is used in my games. It is historically accurate (modern black powder enthusiasts use paper cartridges, which greatly accelerates reloading), which is why most people had melee weapons when faced with melee combat. Alternatively, you could wear multiple pistols, which was a common choice during the Golden Age of Piracy.

In my games, gunpowder firearms are a cheaper version of firewands (gunpowder uses firedust as ten percent of its component but, since the other components are charcoal and saltpeter, it is much cheaper than pure firedust). Gunpowder firearms are more deadly at greater range than firewands due to using a bullet, but creating the seal to allow the explosion to propel the bullet takes a lot of time, as does cleaning the barrel after every shot (improper cleaning causes black powder weapons to go off while packing). Firewands can be used every other turn, so they are preferred by the people who have the means because they have better sustained fire.

Comment

Well, that is an average of fifteen turns spent loading, which may be part of a flurry is a stunt is used in my games. It is historically accurate (modern black powder enthusiasts use paper cartridges, which greatly accelerates reloading), which is why most people had melee weapons when faced with melee combat. Alternatively, you could wear multiple pistols, which was a common choice during the Golden Age of Piracy.

In my games, gunpowder firearms are a cheaper version of firewands (gunpowder uses firedust as ten percent of its component but, since the other components are charcoal and saltpeter, it is much cheaper than pure firedust). Gunpowder firearms are more deadly at greater range than firewands due to using a bullet, but creating the seal to allow the explosion to propel the bullet takes a lot of time, as does cleaning the barrel after every shot (improper cleaning causes black powder weapons to go off while packing). Firewands can be used every other turn, so they are preferred by the people who have the means because they have better sustained fire.
                    If your guns are going more damage than firewands, that's a problem, because firewands did the same amount of base damage in 2e as the rocket launcher from the Modern Era shard. Within short range, they are not to be taken lightly, as they blast out a rather intensely hot gout of flame that will completely, if briefly, engulf the target.

Comment

In 3e, they do as much slightly more damage than bows, though they do set people on fire (doing +4 withering damage rather than +Strength withering damage). They do not do inherently anymore health level damage (decisive damage) than any other archery weapon.

Comment

In 3e, they do as much slightly more damage than bows, though they do set people on fire (doing +4 withering damage rather than +Strength withering damage). They do not do inherently anymore health level damage (decisive damage) than any other archery weapon.
                        And if guns were in EX3, they wouldn't inherently do more decisive damage, either.

Comment

For my part, firearms do not exist in any Creation I'm GMing. Flame pieces and fire wands are the closest you'll get. If you want a slow-firing weapon that shoots fairly straight and penetrates armor, pickup a crossbow!

Comment

This seems odiously long. Even something like a muzzle-loader firewand only takes one turn to relaod due to its Slow tag. Why would a firearm need at best 10 turns to reload? Is it because of how imbalanced they are in the later points? If the goal is to curtail the power of a weapon, I think it might be putting the cart before the host to limit super powerful weapons instead of maybe just not making them so damned powerful.

2. Firearms are deadly and deal two points of Initiative damage per damage success on a withering attack or two health levels of damage per damage success on a decisive attack.
                            So they double damage post soak or when you hit automatically. Why is this the case? I mean, even in a lot of action movies characters can generally survive gunfire rather okay. Why do guns have this special privleage of double damage besides "Guns are best" firearms fetishism?

3. Firearms are loud and automatically break non-magical stealth when fired.
                            This is a reaosnable one, but probably not reaonsable in the world of "Twice as effective at daamge than every other weapon in the game."

[QUOTE=Aya Tari;n1089393]4. Firearms are penetrating and ignore non-magical armor (using only base soak to resist damage from withering attacks).[/QUOT]
                            So not only do they do twice as much damage they ignore armor?

Is the end goal for your games I'm guessing just All Firearms All the Time?

And stuff.

And stuff.
                            Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

I still say nothing like real guns should be anywhere outside Autochonia.

Comment

Working...
                              X