X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aura charms!

http://theonyxpath.com/the-elemental...-pt-2-exalted/

This stuff is so fantastic!

I really like how it's kind of bending but not as restrictive but still has the "you don't want to fight a fire aspect in the middle of a raging forest fire" thing going on.

Comment

I really want to see how this works for War and even non-combat Charms. The image of Dragon-Blooded working their magic by spreading their Essence through mortal subordinates is very interesting.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Wow, these look really cool. Correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't say how you get Elemental Aura, does it?

Comment

Cool!

I wonder how one actually activates the aura. I assume it's not a reflexive switch-on, switch-off state, since using the wrong charm ends it; perhaps a misc action?

But most importantly:
          It allows you to POWER UP!!!! Though I don't yet know how.

And it's a nice balance between the multi-elemental powers and the thematic one-element.
          What I mean is, it doesn't stop your Fire Aspect from using some earth or water or whatever, but to access ultimate power, you focus on your own element, so you still feel like you are playing a fire-powered dude, not a mage who looks firey, if you see what I man.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Reactions:
            1. It's unstated but to me strongly implied that any Aspect can get any Aura. I suspect it is just somewhat easier for a given Aspect to get into the matching Aura.
            2. Blossom Hides Thorns feels kind of over-situational?
            3. Not sure how I feel about having to purchase Earth Bears Witness twice if you want it for one of the other auras.
            Tentatively though I think this is an interesting and powerful mechanic to lend a real sense of elemental association to the splat in play.

Comment

Or perhaps activating it has something to do with the elemental keywords as well? Like you can only activate it after using a charm of your aspect?

Comment

Originally posted by AtG View Post
                Reactions: [LIST=1][*]It's unstated but to me strongly implied that any Aspect can get any Aura. I suspect it is just somewhat easier for a given Aspect to get into the matching Aura.
                Yeah, I noticed that too. The fact you have to buy the Earth version of Earth Bears Witness first implies you can use any Aura. I hope you get some kind of bonus or something to go into your own element's Aura.

Comment

Interesting. It's more straightforward than what I was postulating, and is probably more elegant and functional for it, and seems like an interesting way to represent power that goes back and forth and might increase situationally as distinct from the various systems that Solars have.

​I'm also guessing that the detail of Auras creating an opportunity cost to using certain other Charms is something that leads into a distinct approach to teamwork that is more organic than just having Charms that lock together. A case of being able to more comfortably enter an Aura if you know that you have Brothers who can cover any blind spots it creates for you.

​There are more elemental manipulation effects there than would really be to my taste, but if it's the way that things will be going, I have no issue with it, and I'll probably try to find the best in it. So long as it still feels distinctly Dragon Blooded, there's no problem.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by AtG View Post
                    Blossom Hides Thorns feels kind of over-situational?
                    Yah, while performing, make a roll, if you win roll JB, you or one of your allies gets ambush. 1wp and expending your aura at Essence 3. It feels very underwhelming to me.

Comment

I really dig Mela's Hungry Jaws and Earth Bears Witness, though the latter more flavor-wise and in respect to the elemental variations. Elemental Aura looks like a neat mechanic to help distinguish DBs in feel and pace their access to power that Solars can bring to bear more casually.

I'm very curious about how you get into Elemental Aura and if it offers any kind of intrinsic benefits, but it's a cool concept already! Notable that Earth Bears Witness has repurchase unlock both elemental variants though previously it was said it would be 3xp for each variation in charms with multiple elements. Just wondering if that was a missed detail or it'll be changed.

Comment

"'And who are you', the proud lord said, 'that I must bow so low'"?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Something to remember about Blossom Hides Thorns by the way, is that we're missing Dance of Flashing Swords to gauge its effective power properly, since the latter has a willpower cost and the former allows you to waive it. The original DoFS disguised an ongoing battle as a performance act, and it looks like it does something different. But "disguising the sneak attack as part of the performance" seems contingent on BHT, so perhaps it does roughly the same but isn't compatible with sneak attacks by itself?

I'm just throwing suppositions at thin air because I find it quite interesting even with that situational nature.
                          Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Mela's Hungry Jaws should put paid to any idea of Dragon-Blooded Charms as "weak". God DAMN this is cool stuff.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkuwa View Post

Yah, while performing, make a roll, if you win roll JB, you or one of your allies gets ambush. 1wp and expending your aura at Essence 3. It feels very underwhelming to me.

IIRC, that's actually an improvement over the original ><

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led

Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

Comment

Working...
                              X