Aura charms!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    I really dig Mela's Hungry Jaws and Earth Bears Witness, though the latter more flavor-wise and in respect to the elemental variations. Elemental Aura looks like a neat mechanic to help distinguish DBs in feel and pace their access to power that Solars can bring to bear more casually.
    I've always wanted to see Exalted smashed with powerful effects, stagger it off, but leave a crater behind. And now I can!

One thing I'm not quite sure though, is does the ground count as a big source of earth-materials for Earth Based Witness? I would assume yes, but the examples seem to imply other stuff is more likely.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Something weird to me is the way keywrods are layed-out here. RIght now there's the whole thing of each element having a Keyword, but also the Aura (Element) Charms, which results in a potential of things like:

Keywords: Air, Aura (Air, Fire), Fire

Which to me looks somewhat clunky. Unless there's something where by having the Aura of an element, the Charm is already that element. But then I also wonder at the same time whether ther emight be just some way to represent this better. Such as a line in the Charm block that's something like Aura: None/AIr/Earth/etc.

And stuff.

And stuff.
      Made signature by request. Any typing of "And stuff." is out of conditioned reflex.

Comment

As none of the charms here have Elemental keywords and Aura (Elemental) keywords, but only one or the other, I'd guess that all Aura charms are indeed Elementally-aspected, so it's fine.
        If that's not clear, I mean they keywords are:
        Water
        Aura (Wood)
        Aura (Earth)
        Aura (Fire)
        Aura (Air)

There's no Air, Aura (Air).

Also it mentions that charms which are not Elementally Aspected have the Balanced keyword; I don't think there are any charms that just have no keyword. So Aura (Fire) must make it Fire-aspected.

Comment

This would make me think then that instead of putting that weight on keywords, whether a section on Element or something itself might serve this. Mostly on some level I think that keywrods wer ekept pretty minimal in the corebook, and I wonder if these fit the paradigm of that alright or if htere might be a way to go at them more simply.

And stuff.

And stuff.
          Made signature by request. Any typing of "And stuff." is out of conditioned reflex.

Comment

You don't need a keyword saying a charm is usable in a given aura if it has another keyword that means it's only usable in said aura. That would be redundant.

Comment

After a 3rd reading of it I think it works like this.
              -Ash is a Fire-Aspect Dragon-Blooded
              -Ash enters Water Aura
              -Ash uses Currents Sweep to Sea and gains a bonus for being in Water Aura
              -Ash wants to use Earth Bears Witness but cannot because he is in Water Aura.
              -Earth Bears Witness has the Aura (Earth) keyword and cannot be used outside of Aura (Earth)
              -Ash can purchase Earth Bears Witness a second time to get a variation with the Water Aura, OR can change to Earth Aura to be able to activate Earth Bears Witness.

I think every DB has access to every Aura. If Ash were in Fire Aura, the mechanics seem to imply that Ash would get a bonus using some Fire-Aspected charms because Ash is Fire-Aspected. We don't see any of those examples.

This is my take on it.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

I like that this mechanic allows DB charms to be individually powerful without allowing them to stack together. It means they can have extra cool toys without being too powerful for their type

I also like that this feels like Avatar without actually being Avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                  After a 3rd reading of it I think it works like this.
                  -Ash is a Fire-Aspect Dragon-Blooded
                  -Ash enters Water Aura
                  -Ash uses Currents Sweep to Sea and gains a bonus for being in Water Aura
                  -Ash wants to use Earth Bears Witness but cannot because he is in Water Aura.
                  -Earth Bears Witness has the Aura (Earth) keyword and cannot be used outside of Aura (Earth)
                  -Ash can purchase Earth Bears Witness a second time to get a variation with the Water Aura, OR can change to Earth Aura to be able to activate Earth Bears Witness.

I think every DB has access to every Aura. If Ash were in Fire Aura, the mechanics seem to imply that Ash would get a bonus using some Fire-Aspected charms because Ash is Fire-Aspected. We don't see any of those examples.

This is my take on it.
                  You've got the right of it.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Earth Bears Witness can subtract decisive attack dice. Could this reduce an attack's dice pool to below an Exalt's Hardness, negating the attack completely?

That could give the DB's up to 5 extra hardness (at a not-inconsiderable mote/init cost) if they're in the right environment, which could be a powerful incentive for Dragonblooded interior decorators to design appropriately.

Comment

Is there a noteworthy opportunity cost to switching between Auras, or does it just come down to something that affects timing?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

So I guess Dragonblooded with Aura Charm will be all like "Why, hello there Martial Arts that do not have an elemental aspect! I think you and me can do a thing together..."? As one strategy you can go with... (I'd say the same for Evocations... but the whole anything but Jade is dissonant deal).

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                          (I'd say the same for Evocations... but the whole anything but Jade is dissonant deal).
                          The devs have already given an update that now Jade is Resonant, Soulsteel is Dissonant, and everything else is normal. ^_^ Just a heads up.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Abakus View Post
                            ... if they're in the right environment, which could be a powerful incentive for Dragonblooded interior decorators to design appropriately.
                            As it should be. I definitely want to see Water Aspects living in a manor full of water features, Wood aspects living in a wooden manor surrounded by trees, and earth aspects living in a stone fortress with no proper floors on ground level (so they can walk around with their bare feet touching the earth).

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

This is my take on it.
                              That's something I missed. I got that every Aspect can use any Aura, but missed this:
                              "Some Charms are powered up while the Dragon-Blooded is in their element’s Aura, while others—marked with the Aura keyword—can only be used in the Aura state."
                              I wouldn't like to say for definite, because that's just the intro to this and not the proper wording for the book. But while everyone can use any Aura (and need to for certain charms), it says "Some Charms are powered up while the Dragon-Blooded is in their element’s Aura", which makes me think that the charms which do more when in your Aura (like Currents Sweep to the Sea), only do it for their Aspect. So if Ash is in Water Aura, he can use charms that only work in Water Aura, but doesn't get to use Currents Sweep to the Sea up to medium range. Whereas a Water aspect can, and can enter Fire Aura to use Portentious Comet Deflection. But some other Fire charms that can be used normally, but are boosted in Aura, are not boosted for the Water Aspect.

To put it more simply:
                              You can enter any Aura, allowing you to use Aura-only charms.
                              When in the Aura of your aspect, some charms are improved. But not if you're in a different aura.

But I'm not 100% sure of this. It's a lot to get from fine wording.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                                To put it more simply:
                                You can enter any Aura, allowing you to use Aura-only charms.
                                When in the Aura of your aspect, some charms are improved. But not if you're in a different aura.

But I'm not 100% sure of this. It's a lot to get from fine wording.
                                This is basically what I was trying to say. And that we don't have any examples of such yet. So we're on the same page.

Comment

Working...
                                X