No announcement yet.

Aura charms!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if being in an Aura has any intrinsic benefits?

I also wonder how Elemental Auras interact with Anima and Anima Flux.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      ​I would have thought that was the kind of thing people have expressed since the first time a Lore Charm let you shoot people with fireballs.
      To be fair, in 1st edition Abyssals also used Lore to shoot underworld lightning out of their hands. Lore ended up as kind of the "Shoot magical stuff" Ability, which always struck me as odd, especially for Abyssals. At least they put Crypt Bolt Attack in Thrown in 2nd edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        I wonder if being in an Aura has any intrinsic benefits?

I also wonder how Elemental Auras interact with Anima and Anima Flux.
        Given that you can be in the aura state while stealthed, it seems like it doesn't directly mess with your anima.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

To be fair, in 1st edition Abyssals also used Lore to shoot underworld lightning out of their hands. Lore ended up as kind of the "Shoot magical stuff" Ability, which always struck me as odd, especially for Abyssals. At least they put Crypt Bolt Attack in Thrown in 2nd edition.
          ​But it seems likely that we'll get Resistance Charms to encase people in iron maidens and turn them into zombie knights, and Presence Charms to drain the life from people.

​Dragon Blooded and Abyssals both seem rather fitting to distribute powers useful for hurting folks (and, in the case of the former, playing into their overall capacity as soldiers) through Abilities besides the ones for striking people physically.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post
            Mela's Hungry Jaws should put paid to any idea of Dragon-Blooded Charms as "weak". God DAMN this is cool stuff.
            My only real complaint is that Earth Bears Witness looks underwhelming from a cost standpoint. 5m, 3i for 5 dice off at most? The interaction with Hardness is worth noting, but how often is it going to block a full attack? If it's something you're supposed to just kind of throw in there to take the edge off that cost starts looking real steep to make repeated payments on.
            Last edited by serGregness; 05-18-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by serGregness View Post
              5m, 3i for 5 dice off at most?
              I'd say that for decisive attacks, every one of those damage dice was dearly bought, and having something eliminate a number of them is always harsh.

Originally posted by serGregness
              but how often is it going to block a full attack?
              That depends entirely on the capabilities and choices of the attacker, I should think.

If one is forced to build their Initiative up to 15 or something before they can effectively make decisive attacks, it can possibly constrain their options or throw off their timing.

​Plus, you know, having a decent chunk of your attack taken off right before your Initiative gets reset might be an issue in a number of contexts. An attack that was intended to kill fails to do so, and then you're open to a response that Crashes you.

​Not to mention the possible environmental difficulties that it creates for the opponent.

Originally posted by serGregness
              that cost starts looking real steep to make repeated payments on.
              ​Well, I'm on two minds on the subject.

​On the one, it's a mote cost that is recouped precisely at the next round, presuming one had no other Essence costs.

​On the other, a bit of struggle to make it through extreme dangers seems a bit par for the course for the Dragon Blooded.

​I think the thing to take from this is that a struggle to preserve oneself based on the need for a good environment, maintaining an Aura, and a decent cost in motes and Initiative, is preferable to a struggle to preserve oneself because you have a decent defensive Charm that fails utterly against magic.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Eh...

I just had a look at the Solar resistance tree. The only charm that takes damage off decisive attacks is Adamant Skin Technique, which costs 8m to reduce damage by Stamina+armour.

Which is much better. But that's at the end of a tree, and it's a Solar charm. For an essence 3 DB charm, I'd say Earth Bears Witness seems quite reasonable.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by serGregness View Post

My only real complaint is that Earth Bears Witness looks underwhelming from a cost standpoint. 5m, 3i for 5 dice off at most? The interaction with Hardness is worth noting, but how often is it going to block a full attack? If it's something you're supposed to just kind of throw in there to take the edge off that cost starts looking real steep to make repeated payments on.

Its actually pretty strong compared to the [terrestrial] tag martial arts decisive damage soak charms. Some of the clearest weaknesses of the Dragon-Blooded seem to be decisive damage reduction, decisive damage addition, and extra actions.

Comment

This is really very cool. I'm hoping that entering the Aura state doesn't end up being something that costs an action, because that makes some of these benefits a bit underwhelming ("I can give up my Aura state to gain an action!"), but the concept as revealed so far has a lot of fun potential, and suggests a "feel" to Dragon-Blooded combat that's very different from a Solar's considerations. Looking forward to seeing more.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

There's still benefit to be had if you use up an action when you don't really need it and get it back later when it counts.

Comment

Perhaps before a fight for example.
                        But I agree with Irked, making it cost an action would be a bit too awkward. Maybe it costs a wp, or is free and reflexive but requires some conditions, or something like that.

It might literally just be auto-activated when you use an elemental-keyworded charm, creating a kind of combo system where you can use all kinds of different charms, but they build up (because if you use a water charm, other water charms are more powerful for a bit.

Comment

There's apparently a part 3 about Elemental Signature charms still to come. Maybe it has something to do with those.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            Eh...

I just had a look at the Solar resistance tree. The only charm that takes damage off decisive attacks is Adamant Skin Technique, which costs 8m to reduce damage by Stamina+armour.

Which is much better. But that's at the end of a tree, and it's a Solar charm. For an essence 3 DB charm, I'd say Earth Bears Witness seems quite reasonable.

Don't forget soaking uncountable damage. Earth Bears Witness doesn't let the DB do that.

I have created a character creation tool. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.

I like the Mesoamerican look.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                              There's apparently a part 3 about Elemental Signature charms still to come. Maybe it has something to do with those.
                              Ah, could be I guess.

Originally posted by Demac
                              Don't forget soaking uncountable damage. Earth Bears Witness doesn't let the DB do that.
                              True. Though I'm not sure I've ever seen that actually come up. Which is perhaps a pity! Because surviving having a mountain fall on you is exactly the sort of thing I like to see from Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                                There's still benefit to be had if you use up an action when you don't really need it and get it back later when it counts.
                                True as far as it goes, but I basically never see action expenditures not matter during times when we actually track rounds (i.e., during a fight). Spending an action on anything that isn't hitting the other guy is a pretty huge deal; the only thing I've reliably seen players opt for is 5BS, and even that's not a guarantee.

Actions before the fight starts are much more prone to DBZ power-up sequences - which could be true here as well, sure, but then you lose the possibility of cycling in and out of different Aura states over the course of the fight (which just seems like a super cool possibility).

I mean, we'll see, I guess - maybe that's not at all what they're going for! This looks promising so far, and I'm a lot more intrigued by this preview than I was by the last - looking forward to more!

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

Working...
                                X