Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aura charms!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
    3) Kind of seems like it is another variable to track though - Motes, Willpower, Health, Initiative, Anima Level, Charm Resets, now Aura. A lot of folk on here at least have talked about the desire to have a more lightweight Exalted experience from Dragonblooded, so wonder what their reaction is to it. As much as I think it's a cool idea.
    This is a very important point, and one that we place great emphasis on. Any time we do something that increases the overall complexity of a Charm set, we also need to reduce complexity in other places throughout the Charm set so that the overall mental burden of tracking isn't just absurd.


    Developer for Exalted

    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

    Robert Vance's Patreon

    Comment


    • #77
      Does the Aura state come with any cool visual effects, separate from those that might manifest from the Terrestrial's anima?


      "Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

      Now...count up all your sins.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Blaque View Post
        That Solars are best at MAs in general doesn't necessarily mean that there's always a special "Better-er" tier for every style ever. Solar supremecy at MAs doesn't suddenly stop existing because they don't get extra beenies on five styles out of everything else.

        And stuff.
        And this is not to mention that stuff like a Solar's naturally larger mote pools and dice cap will mean they'll still edge out a Terrestrial dragon stylist, even if the charms themselves are the same.

        Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        This is a very important point, and one that we place great emphasis on. Any time we do something that increases the overall complexity of a Charm set, we also need to reduce complexity in other places throughout the Charm set so that the overall mental burden of tracking isn't just absurd.
        Some time before the changeover, it was mentioned someplace that Getimians would be a kind of 'hard mode' exalted, for people who actually wanted a more complex experience. I know it's waaay too far out for you to have anything locked in for them yet, but just speaking for myself I think there's room for one exalt type to cater to that type of player, and I was pretty excited by the prospect.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          This is a very important point, and one that we place great emphasis on. Any time we do something that increases the overall complexity of a Charm set, we also need to reduce complexity in other places throughout the Charm set so that the overall mental burden of tracking isn't just absurd.
          I've tried to solve this by printing up some laminated, custom cards for keeping track of combat resources (and anima levels etc.).
          I see the problem with complexity, but just find the system to be (and the aura system, especially, seem) so fun that it is defo worth it!
          Especially with these aides, that help get the resource management out of our headspace, so we can focus on role playing and describing the badass moments

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by serGregness View Post
            Some time before the changeover, it was mentioned someplace that Getimians would be a kind of 'hard mode' exalted, for people who actually wanted a more complex experience. I know it's waaay too far out for you to have anything locked in for them yet, but just speaking for myself I think there's room for one exalt type to cater to that type of player, and I was pretty excited by the prospect.
            The structure of Getimians–yin and yang mote pools, Charms with variable effects based on which pool you use, and [REDACTED]—all lend themselves to a pretty high level of complex tactical decision making. That's not a problem. What we want to avoid is adding so much splat-specific mechanics on top of the core system that complexity becomes overwhelming and paralyzing.


            Developer for Exalted

            Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

            Robert Vance's Patreon

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              The structure of Getimians–yin and yang mote pools, Charms with variable effects based on which pool you use, and [REDACTED]—all lend themselves to a pretty high level of complex tactical decision making. That's not a problem. What we want to avoid is adding so much splat-specific mechanics on top of the core system that complexity becomes overwhelming and paralyzing.
              Oh man, I love [REDACTED].

              Seriously though, I'm willing to wait twenty years if at the end of it Getimians are as good as I hoped.

              Comment


              • #82
                Is it weird that of all the things to wonder about Getimians, the first thing I thought of just now is "how do their mote pools refill?"

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                  This is a very important point, and one that we place great emphasis on. Any time we do something that increases the overall complexity of a Charm set, we also need to reduce complexity in other places throughout the Charm set so that the overall mental burden of tracking isn't just absurd.
                  Oh cool, I bet that was a factor in making DB charms a bit more self contained than the solar ones, which I recall being mentioned somewhere.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                    Is it weird that of all the things to wonder about Getimians, the first thing I thought of just now is "how do their mote pools refill?"
                    True. With Solars it notes that Peripheral fills before Personal. Since instead, Getimians have Yin and Yang pools, will they refill at different rates? Does Yin refill first? Yang? Do they alternate? Do you decide when you Respire more Essence whether to top off Yin or Yang? I have many more questions now.


                    Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

                      True. With Solars it notes that Peripheral fills before Personal. Since instead, Getimians have Yin and Yang pools, will they refill at different rates? Does Yin refill first? Yang? Do they alternate? Do you decide when you Respire more Essence whether to top off Yin or Yang? I have many more questions now.

                      MIght depend on what you're doing at the time. Yang refills in combat respiration first, Yin in rest or meditation first, etc.


                      Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

                        Oh cool, I bet that was a factor in making DB charms a bit more self contained than the solar ones, which I recall being mentioned somewhere.
                        I kind of hope so... at high XP, my players found the Solar charms a bit too complicated to remember, honestly.


                        "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by wastevens View Post


                          What's the over-under on how long after What Fire Hath Wrought dropping and someone posting a charm or other general means for Solars to gain access to those gated Evocations?

                          Well this is the Exalted fandom and there is a tacit agreement that Solars need to have access to every other splat's toys or else they can't be the bestest at everything.


                          Exalted is an aesthetic.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Steamfunk View Post


                            Well this is the Exalted fandom and there is a tacit agreement that Solars need to have access to every other splat's toys or else they can't be the bestest at everything.
                            This seems like a relevant place to link an old favorite anecdotally.


                            I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X