Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big is the exalted playerbase these days?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is the exalted playerbase these days?

Is there anyway to find out how big the exalted player base is these days?

Are sales figures from drivethrurpg of the core book publicly available? Or are there any other indicators worth checking out?

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

I've never heard that DriveThruRPG publishes their sales figures. You can see that Exalted 3e Core has the Platinum Seller badge on its product page, but that only denotes that it's in the top 390 (0.6 %) in terms of sales, not how big its actual numbers are. If they disclose that somewhere else, I'd like to hear about it, though.

Even so, sales translates fairly badly into players. There are groups who buy a single copy for their table and pass it around between five people, and there are people like me who put $300 on the Kickstarter and have yet to play a game. Also, without comparative figures from earlier editions, it's hard to draw conclusions about trends.

Forum activity has decreased, which might imply something, but again, it's hard to know how big a percentage of the player base use the forums at all.

I think it's reasonable to say that the player base is smaller, since the publication schedule has been slow lately, but in terms of real numbers, I doubt there's much publically available.
    Last edited by Weimann; 05-18-2017, 08:39 AM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Well outside of the internet I have literally never met an Exalted player that I didn't personally introduce to the game. Which adds up to about 10 people.

Comment

The roll20 numbers are quite disheartening (especially considering that my various groups and GM-only "games" I made for the explicit purpose of testing stuff make up at least 5% of that). The widely sneered-at Cypher System has almost three times as many games, the nearly-forgotten and certainly no longer relevant Dragon Age has more than twice as many players, heck, even AD&D (an edition of a game that's been dead for nearly twenty years now, publication-wise, and isn't even that popular with the OSR crowd as far as I'm aware) has more than five times as many active campaigns and players.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
        Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Some hard numbers from a subset of the playerbase are available here, from roll20.

Specifically, Exalted is 0.2% of their games (78) and 0.84% of their players (284). If you make the assumption that this is proportional, and have figures for some other game (say, D&D, at 30%/40%), you might be able to back-figure the Exalted playerbase (by multiplying by 0.84/40 = 0.021).

The proportionality assumption is suspect, of course, because roll20 specifically supports D&D with modules and player character sheets compared to roll20's support for Exalted which is limited to character sheets (and their excellent grid-and-token-based web functionality, which I've used to run Ex3 even with it's more liberal spacing rules). But, the same could be said about the industry at large.

The Lunar Castebooks fan project - Complete! (Changing, Full, No, and Casteless)

Comment

Sidereals! Also, long editing time...

The Lunar Castebooks fan project - Complete! (Changing, Full, No, and Casteless)

Comment

Originally posted by Tikor View Post
              Some hard numbers from a subset of the playerbase are available here, from roll20.

Specifically, Exalted is 0.2% of their games (78) and 0.84% of their players (284).
              On the other hand, now we know that the number of active campaigns on roll20 has shot up considerably from 2015 to 2017 (78 vs. 162), so that's something!

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
              Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Is roll20 even representative of the actual playing public? While I have no real numbers, I find it enlightening that Exalted is still #12 on DriveThruRPG best seller list. If Arms / DB / The Realm can get out while it is still in the top 20, I think the line is in pretty good shape.

while (horse.state == dead)
                {
                beat();
                }

Comment

Not too many in my region but I would like to start a campaign.
                  Probably the only in the City

Comment

Originally posted by Amdramnar View Post
                    Is roll20 even representative of the actual playing public? While I have no real numbers, I find it enlightening that Exalted is still #12 on DriveThruRPG best seller list. If Arms / DB / The Realm can get out while it is still in the top 20, I think the line is in pretty good shape.
                    I can say that I know about 13 people who play Exalted that I've met IRL and none of them are involved in roll20. I'd never even heard of it before now. So it's certainly not all-inclusive.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Anecdotally it seems like Exalted isn't as popular as it was back in 2012 or so. When I would look on boards such as rpg.net or /tg/ there were often several Exalted threads going at once. These days you don't see nearly the same amount of people posting or talking about it. Heck, even just look at these forums. Back during 2nd edition, the Exalted forum used to have more threads than nearly all of the other forums on the WW site put together. That's not really the case these days.

I would say the dead time between 2nd edition and 3rd edition really sapped a lot of energy out of the line, and Exalted is still in the process of rebuilding. Plus, there hasn't been a whole lot of content released since the core book. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to purchase new material, but it simply doesn't exist. This means there isn't a whole lot to discuss or new material to attract new fans.

And of course you can't forget the whole "rape" debacle, the Something Awful article, etc really hurt the gameline. When I've talked about Exalted with other roleplayers quite a few of them went, "The rape game?" There is definitely a pretty negative perception of Exalted out there among the greater roleplaying community and that has definitely not helped the gameline in its attempts to get back on its feet.

So I would say the player base for Exalted is smaller than it was 5 years ago, though again that's mostly based on anecdotal evidence.

Comment

Additionally, at 2012, the 2e gameline was basically completed. If it was going to be written it was written already. So not only was there a lot of material to draw upon, but all the empty spaces were laid bare before us. There was a LOT of homebrew in those days, either fixing things that we knew wouldn't get officially fixed, or creating things (omg, the Devil Tigers were Legion) wholesale because they didn't exist yet.

Once there's enough 3e materials to start from, you'll see more homebrew activity and discussion. You'll get people who wanted to play but needed more to go on than the core. We got a big injection of adrenaline in here for many months after the core was released. I'll bet we'll see it again once we have Arms and much more so after Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought.

My 2 cents.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                          When I would look on boards such as rpg.net or /tg/ there were often several Exalted threads going at once.
                          And even that was something of a drawdown; there was like a seven or eight year period on rpg.net when Tabletop Roleplaying Open was basically an Exalted forum where people would very occasionally talk about other games; it wouldn't be unusual for 3/4ths or more of the total threads on the front page at any time to be Exalted ones.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

I've mainly been playing Exalted on www.rpol.net for the last seven years, six of which I've been Storytelling. I've found that there is a lot of interest among players to join Exalted games there, but there is little to no interest in storytelling games. Also, most games die either because the Storyteller loses interest or players lose interest. That is the bane of play by post roleplaying.

I've been fortunate in that regard, since I've established a solid group of four players (five including myself). We can do play by post storytelling on www.rpol.net with daily activity because we all have a Skype chat where we let each other know when we're available to post, as well as discuss the scenes and the game. However, it has been really difficult to introduce new players to my play by post group either because new players don't want to get into a game that's already well-established and has been going on for a long time, or they have difficulty getting into the Skype chat thing that's proven to be a requirement for us to keep the game going. I've tried to get some more games going there, but they've all fallen apart because I've never managed to get new players with the same dedication as the ones I already have.

As for gaming in real life at an actual table, I have a session maybe once a month. I'm, however, the only one of my friends who's actually buying Exalted material. I know one guy who pirates every rpg he plays with no respect for the content creators, and the others are merely players who want to play without needing to buy any material of their own. So out of four players, only one (me) actually purchases products.

Freelancer | Content Creator
                            Twitter | Youtube | Patreon

Comment

I do a lot of analytics and guess work to try to guess at the size of things. Let's approach this from two directions and see if the numbers make sense. Onyx Path never really releases numbers, so we are forced to us a Fermi style system to get an estimate.

The E3 kickstarter had 4,368 backers. Using that, I have played with 10 other people using my copy, and nobody but me has bought a book from that group. Extending that that puts the number around 40,000. I stand by that the true number is within an order of magnitude of that, meaning its between 4000 - 400,000

Let's see if we can refine that number. For AAA games I know that the conversion rate between active players and active forums users for the official forums is 1-3%. Pulling another Fermi style guess here, I and 2 others of the 11 players of current Exalted use the forums, giving us a conversion rate of 27%. I am going to reduce that number by half, because they don't really post. A conversion rate of 13.5% seems very high to me compared to the numbers I normally see, so let's treat this as a spread. The true conversion rate is somewhere between 8% and 20%. If 30% of the threads in this forum are from unique posters, we have 2,052 unique exalted posters over the life time of this forum. Applying that to our conversion rate, we get 10k-25k people that play, but don't interact with the forums. 17k is our best bet guess of that.

Now we have 2 different guesses. 40k and 17k. Using the 17k to refine (average) our first guess, we get 27k active-ish exalted players. Doing a quick sanity check, 270k players is outlandish, as is 2.7k.

So, somewhere around 27k is our final answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X