Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big is the exalted playerbase these days?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be the only one in my "category", but as I missed the kickstarter, I bought Ex3 as a PoD when it got available. While I don't like the majority of it, I have cherry-picked parts and will but some of the coming modules. So I will run a 2.5-ish game, and it looks like we will finalize the characters (4 players) and perhaps start a game on Sunday.

Considering most of my posts here is on the Exalted forum, I guess I'm not entirely successful, but I generally tend to stay away from talking about Exalted here.

Comment

One of my former players backed the Kickstarter as a group (which is why my name is thanked as a backer), but I don't have contact with him anymore so I never received my Kickstarter copy from him. Instead I bought the POD deluxe version when it was available.

Freelancer | Content Creator |
      ekorrengames.com

Comment

In my experience, a lot of people have disengaged with Exalted...but then, four years of essentially letting the game line rot on the vine will do that. The Kickstarter concluded in May 2013, the core rules were released in October 2015, and unless Vance and Mince are writing like absolute gangbusters (with similar progress for layout, editing, etct) we're on track for hitting that two year anniversary with the only thing released being the quickstart. If if Arms makes it out by then, we still will have gone those two years without a significant release and with no other Exalted types "officially" playable; the old White Wolf "push it out push it out push it out" model wasn't great, but neither is the current release schedule.

There's also those who don't like the changes made in 3e; at least two people in my group who loved playing Solars in 2e I don't even want to show the new rules to because it goes completely beyond the mechanical threshold they're willing to tolerate.

And you need to consider that Exalted is (at least in my experience) an extremely difficult game to recruit for. Most people will nope out when they hit the Charms chapter. The number of people I've had reject the game line after observing the community (including this forum) is in the double digits. I don't have exact numbers, obviously, but I would say that my recruitment rate is about 5%, and generally less among other groups and game clubs that I know of.

Have you ever read a Coik post before, man? lol
        -Holden

Comment

Originally posted by Coik View Post
          The number of people I've had reject the game line after observing the community (including this forum) is in the double digits. I don't have exact numbers, obviously, but I would say that my recruitment rate is about 5%, and generally less among other groups and game clubs that I know of.
          I have to be honest, this has often been a difficult point for me as well, particularly something I've observed more recently, where there are a few users who respond to a few other users with just outright rudeness whenever they see the other one post, that if I was not already a fan of the game then I would be hesitant to become one after seeing this kind of thing in the official fan community.

Elemental and dragon line descriptors and capturing device coming soon
          Craft Rewrite W/ Points, Slots, and Charms
          Executive Leadership Organization Merrit

Comment

In meatspace, the only people I know who know of or play Exalted are the ones who introduced me.

The majority of my play experience was PbP, on the sister site to the old Exalted Compendium Redux, PatternSpider. That site was later annexed by another RP site, but tehre remains a small contingency of Exalted games/interest there.

http://www.rpdom.com/

I haven't been an active RP participant for a few years there, but it's good to get the word out.
            Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 05-19-2017, 12:17 PM.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

I'll also throw my hat into the anecdote ring about how the Exalted fanbase may (or may not) be dwindling. While my real-world group played the hell out of Exalted 1e, the hit-or-miss nature of some of 2e's products started to become a bit of a deal-breaker. Having books like Sidereals and Dreams where the charms either didn't work or shouldn't work stilted some interest in newer products. As mentioned by someone else, Infernals and Lillun also caused some uncomfortable feelings about the direction the game was heading in. And the final nail came when 3e was announced and a four year gap came. Since we weren't backers at the time (due to the aforementioned issues with some of the books put out during 2e), the game might as well have been dead and buried. By the time 3e was widely available, all interest was gone.

My online groups fell to similar fates, but they also were hit with other factors. That SA article somehow never got brought up (in fact, I never heard of it until this thread), but online communities did. A lot of people I knew who played online got turned off by seeing even simple questions devolve into arguments about why X sucks more than Y, but Z is so broken the entire game and all other games ever were therefore unplayable. And because this writer or that one said this one, off-the-cuff remark, the entire game must be going in some other direction. I had a few friends who wanted to start a new game, but after looking at different communities and thinking "wait, so this is my pool of people to recruit from?" they chose a different game instead. Obviously it was the vocal minority being very vocal and rabid, and if that were the only thing going on then maybe they'd change their minds. But end result, they stopped playing.

And then there's the local game shops in my area. Only one has an employee who has ever even heard of Exalted ("that D&D rip-off the Vampire guys made" is about all he even knows about it). Back when Under the Rose was being given away and I wanted my own physical copy, I had to drive an hour to get it, passing six stores that catered to TTRPGs (and other things, because nobody can run a business off TTRPGs anymore) because none of them bothered to grab any copies. And even that hour-away store only gave out the one copy that day.

But that's really just personal experience, so take it as you will. I still love the game, still want to play it, but like my friends I've moved on to other games.

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

The sheer mechanical complexity of the gameline doesn't do it very many favors.

I can't tell you how many potential players I have had NOPE their way away from the table, even before getting into Charms.

That was 2E, and it killed my gaming table. I managed to snag a few back, but we strictly play mortals now.

Comment

Originally posted by norraba View Post

I have to be honest, this has often been a difficult point for me as well, particularly something I've observed more recently, where there are a few users who respond to a few other users with just outright rudeness whenever they see the other one post, that if I was not already a fan of the game then I would be hesitant to become one after seeing this kind of thing in the official fan community.
                  That has unfortunately been true of the Exalted fanbase since the beginning, perhaps starting to hit it's beginning stride with the release of the 1e Dragonblooded book. The only real difference on that that aspect of the fanbase I'd say is significantly different than before is the sort of camps that arose as a result of the Kickstarter situation and the banning in areas of Jon Chung.

Not returning to the forums, just stopping in for a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tikor View Post
                    Some hard numbers from a subset of the playerbase are available here, from roll20.

Specifically, Exalted is 0.2% of their games (78) and 0.84% of their players (284). If you make the assumption that this is proportional, and have figures for some other game (say, D&D, at 30%/40%), you might be able to back-figure the Exalted playerbase (by multiplying by 0.84/40 = 0.021).

The proportionality assumption is suspect, of course, because roll20 specifically supports D&D with modules and player character sheets compared to roll20's support for Exalted which is limited to character sheets (and their excellent grid-and-token-based web functionality, which I've used to run Ex3 even with it's more liberal spacing rules). But, the same could be said about the industry at large.
                    I've played in many exalted games and exactly one of them actually had the game selected as Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post

That has unfortunately been true of the Exalted fanbase since the beginning, perhaps starting to hit it's beginning stride with the release of the 1e Dragonblooded book. The only real difference on that that aspect of the fanbase I'd say is significantly different than before is the sort of camps that arose as a result of the Kickstarter situation and the banning in areas of Jon Chung.
                      I think it goes beyond that, although even that would be enough to make people feel uncomforatable, but honestly you just get very strong vibes from some people that they absolutely hate other people on here.

Elemental and dragon line descriptors and capturing device coming soon
                      Craft Rewrite W/ Points, Slots, and Charms
                      Executive Leadership Organization Merrit

Comment

Originally posted by Coik View Post
                        In my experience… four years of essentially letting the game line rot on the vine will do that.
                        Dude, they've been working at it. Just because you don't like the speed you're receiving their product doesn't mean they aren't or weren't busting their balls to get it to you.

He/him

Comment

I think it goes beyond that, although even that would be enough to make people feel uncomforatable, but honestly you just get very strong vibes from some people that they absolutely hate other people on here.
                          Haven't read much lately I'm afraid. Mostly just the Ask Devs,etc and I caught the last MMN so I am pretty excited about Arms moving along, though it's the splat books I want to dive into. Sorry to hear that's been the forum vibe.

Not returning to the forums, just stopping in for a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            Dude, they've been working at it. Just because you don't like the speed you're receiving their product doesn't mean they aren't or weren't busting their balls to get it to you.
                            I don't think the OP was implying the game wasn't being worked on, but that for four years, nothing new came out. And yeah, that's usually the sign of a game not doing very well to the average person who isn't as heavily invested as most of us are. They're looking at the last release, seeing a big gap, maybe hearing a new edition has been in development for a while now, comparing that to other RPGs who still put out material in their "edition gaps" while also having a shorter announcement-to-release period, and come to a reasonable assumption that the gameline is either in developmental hell or is dead. Yeah, we here on the forum knew the reasons, knew the game was being worked on still, knew we had a wait ahead of us, and all that. But we're not the majority of TTRPG gamers.

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

I think this is inevitable in any forum. They probably do hate other people on here. And that happens elsewhere too, it's just that some other communities, people either leave or get into trouble and get kicked out of places and some forums they don't.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

I know eight people who used to play Exalted. One had to stop gaming due to personal reasons before 2E came out. The other seven were in two groups (one online one in person) with some players in both groups. I was the Storyteller for both and we played until they announced 3E was coming. In anticipation, we took a break and played Pathfinder while waiting on the new rules.

The new rules came. First, the online group ended. The new rules were just not suited to online play. However, the in person game forged on. We hoped that as we got better with the rules the plodding pace of game play would ease. Our last game took place when a simple combat that would have been no problem in one of our previous campaigns ended up eating up our entire gaming session. My players admitted no one was having fun. Four players. Four different castes; each with their own focus and no one was having a good time. So, now we stand at zero. We played Godbound and like it but decided Exalted would lose something if run in those rules. Now, we're hoping Scion is good and maybe we can run Exalted in that.

I used to be Median but life has made me Mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X