Exalted Music Suite Part 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted Music Suite Part 1

The links for the first part of the music Suite "Fanfare for the Chosen" was just sent out! Listening to it now! It sounds rad so far!

Thoughts as I listen:

Track 1: Birth of the Liminal Exalted. Lots of mystery in this theme. Not sure yet if it's the spooky ghost aspect or more the theme of how misunderstood and unknown the Liminals are. I dig it.

Track 2: March of the DragonBlooded. I admit I expected a more imperial theme from this one, but instead they seemed to go with the Heroic feeling instead. In truth, I kind of liked that. While I approve of the oppressive Realm in my games, I like themes where my characters are DragonBlooded to be goddamn heroic and this works for that.

Track 3: Rage of the Lunar Exalted. Danger is the first impression I got. There's an emphasis on percussion that makes one think of a chase, which feels appropriate to me. I keep wanting to same the word Tribal, but every time I try to, it just doesn't quite land there, which makes it more broadly applicable to me.,

Track 4: Return of the Solar Exalted. Heroic action-movie theme from the 90's. This feels like there should be a title-scroll going by. If there was an Exalted TV show, this would be it's theme song. Which is more than appropriate in my book.

***Sidethought: I somehow expected these songs to be a little longer, but maybe they work better as small vignettes.

Track 5: Rise of the Infernal Exalted. Where the Solar theme was the opening credits crawl, the Infernal theme song is all about the main villain. There's a background repetitive string bit that adds some tension to the piece which I like, and maybe a small sense of otherworldly to it as well.

Track 6: The Abyssal Exalted - Death's Lawgivers. Starts with a funerary sound. I really like the bell in the opening few seconds. The first thing that's really struck me about this song is that it's the least actiony one so far. I was afraid it would be heavy guitars and metal sounding, but it's really the most emotional one yet. There's a stillness that it beautiful and it's super evocative to me. Finishes off with the pipe organ. Love it. My favorite one yet.

Track 7: The Alchemical Exalted - Ex Machina. I wasn't sure where'd they go with this one, but it has a really cool chill vibe with a soft chime that sounds like a music box and some clockwork sounds for percussion. Heavy brass was definitely the way to go for the people of the machine-god.

Track 8: The Exigents - Power of the Exigence. How do you encompass the theme of "anybody's chosen"? I have no idea. I tried to let this song lead me around. It opens with an almost "starting town in an RPG" feeling. It meanders a bit from there and doesn't really find it's place until nearer the end when it feels more like a discovery of power and majesty after a song that was mostly... kind of wandery. Not sure how I feel about this one.

Track 9: The Getimian Exalted - War in Heaven. The conflict of their theme is present right from the start. And if this song is about a war, the Getimians are definitely painted as the heroics in this one. The theme alternates back and forth between uncertain conflict to victorious or heroic ballad. I like it, though I admit it wasn't what I was expecting. We'll see if Sidereals hit that mark.

Track 10: The Sidereal Exalted - Lesser but Safe. I have no idea what that title is supposed to be going on about but this is definitely more what I was expecting. Soft chimes with an almost chinese-sounding tone to the theme as it opens. I definitely think of the popular depiction of Heaven while hearing it. I think I expected more of the mystery I heard in the Liminals to be present here, as I instead get more of the majesty and peaceful calm of Heaven. Not a complaint, just different.

Overall it's a very cool compilation of music! What do you guys think of it?
    Last edited by The Unsung Hero; 06-08-2017, 04:50 PM.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
    Track 10: The Sidereal Exalted - Lesser but Safe. I have no idea what that title is supposed to be going on
    The Vision of Bronze. Sacrificing Creation's greatest potential glory for the security that it won't fall to it's worst possible fate.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

The Vision of Bronze. Sacrificing Creation's greatest potential glory for the security that it won't fall to it's worst possible fate.
      Oh duh... Wow I was pretty hyper-focused I guess when I was writing this. Passed right over the obvious answer. Thanks for that. With that context, the peaceful and not so mysterious tone is actually pretty appropriate. It conveys safety.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

I love the alchemical one. Some of the others I wasn't entirely sure what they were for until I checked the title, the alchemical you could feel it.

Comment

I look forward to listening to it once my internet connection stops failing.

I love the title of the Sidereal track though. It works both as an upbeat slogan and a sarcastic middle finger.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Handful of thoughts from my listen so far...

March of the Dragonblooded sounds like something that'd be in a Zhang Yimou film, which is 100% appropriate.

The Return of the Solar Exalted kinda reminds me of the symphonic version of Frog's Theme from Chrono Trigger, which given his character arc of being the returning disgraced hero, is really fitting.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade

Comment

[QUOTE=SamuraiMujuru;n1101774The Return of the Solar Exalted kinda reminds me of the symphonic version of Frog's Theme from Chrono Trigger, which given his character arc of being the returning disgraced hero, is really fitting.[/QUOTE]

I had that exact same thought but couldn't put the name to it at the time. Totally agreed.

Comment

There is a good range to get different feeling of the various exalts.
                The amount of fanfare, ups and downs, and in/out fades make them not great for looping during a scene. The looping is passable (they sound like they are a looping track not background music).
                I thought they were meant as music to be a game-play aid but I am thinking now I was off in that assumption. I do think they would make great background for Kickstarter splats.
                Still, good work done. I smiled at the alchemical theme since it sounded like no one other than them.

Comment

Just sitting down to fire this up, but I want to get the question out there: any chance we could get an optional download of uncompressed files?

Have you ever read a Coik post before, man? lol
                  -Holden

Comment

Originally posted by Major View Post
                    There is a good range to get different feeling of the various exalts.
                    The amount of fanfare, ups and downs, and in/out fades make them not great for looping during a scene. The looping is passable (they sound like they are a looping track not background music).
                    I thought they were meant as music to be a game-play aid but I am thinking now I was off in that assumption. I do think they would make great background for Kickstarter splats.
                    Still, good work done. I smiled at the alchemical theme since it sounded like no one other than them.
                    This Suite is the themes for all the Exalted types, the next will be "music to adventure by". Except cooler than that description.

Comment

Pretty cool over all.

I think the Sidereal Exalted theme was my favorite. I like the use of repetition in the song. It made me think of a dozen prayer wheels spinning endlessly. Further, the way the song immediately begins breaking down with the bell/gong clash was very thematic. Big kudos on that particular song.

The Alchemical song was very obviously the Alchemical song. The artist added in some electronic instruments, which gave it a very different feel from the rest of the tracks which was, of course, very appropriate. I also liked Dragon Blooded and Lunar songs were also both very good. They were nicely representative of their respective splats and both of them largely lined up to the imagery I had of those Exalted types in my head.

The Liminal song though just felt very strange to me. It really doesn't feel like the anthem for a bunch of walking zombie corpse-people. Rather, the song felt like something that would play when the characters stumble across a beautiful cavern under the ground or an enchanted fairy grove. It definitely evoked a sense of wonder and awe, but none of the dark undertones I would associate with the Liminal Exalted. While I was listening to it, I just couldn't really picture the Liminal Exalted while I was listening to it.

The rest of the songs were pretty good.

As an aside, this will always be my anthem for the Mountain Folk.

Comment

Huh, pretty powerful and nice tracks, was surprised about the e-mail. But I really like the music so far (still hearing into it). Now I'm excited (again!) about the rest of the music suit

edit: Infernals is giving me goosebumps, feels like music out of a movie, where a grand villain appears

edit2: Just did a test with my brother, I told him that I got the Exalted suit for the ten splats. His task was to assign the Exalted splats to the music tracks through hearing. He did pretty good, six out from ten he got right pretty early, struggled with two and only two tracks he wasnt sure about. What tracks he immediatly recognized were Lunars, Dragonblooded, Solars, Abyssals, Infernals, Alchemicals, for Sidereals and Liminals he needed some more hearing and only Getimians and Exigents he didn't assign correctly.
                        And that is pretty good, the more my brother knew about a splat, the better he could match it to a music track. And that is awesome
                        Last edited by LC1984; 06-09-2017, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LC1984 View Post
                          And that is pretty good, the more my brother knew about a splat, the better he could match it to a music track. And that is awesome
                          Well, now I wish I had siblings to do experiments on. I never saw that angle
                          But I agree, if people can assign the tracks to the Exalt it's supposed to represent, that is good work on the artist's side.

I just made my girlfriend guess. She got 7 right away, after one relisten. It was just Infernals, Sidereal and Getimians she couldn't place. She was utterly sure about Exigents after it went glorious.

I didn't expect to like so many of the tracks nor there to be such a big divide between those I like or find quite good and the rest.
                          Personally love the Solar and Liminal themes, find the Dragonblooded and Lunar ones very good and the Exigent and Abyssal quite good and very enjoyable. The Infernal, Alchemical and Getimian are ok. Not great, but not bad.
                          Sidereal are boring to me. I don't like the Sidereal one at all. The basic theme is spot on, but the repetition is too much for me.

After a couple of weeks I'll post whether my opinion has changed on these, at it is occasionally does with music. My first reaction isn't always what I stick with

3EX Martial Arts basic overview (Weapons, Armor, Attributes & Abilities)

Comment

Is there a place where us non Kickstarter peeps can buy and download?

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Subsequent thought on a repeat listen.

The Getimians had a very heroic, uplifting theme for their song (Hints of Zimmer?) Which surprised me with their whole Destroy Heaven mission statement.

Given how well the rest of the music fit their relevant splat, what does this say about the Getimians? Will their style and story as a splat be much more "hero of their own story" kind of thing?

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade

Comment

Working...
                              X