Captain America: Winter Soldier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain America: Winter Soldier

Alright, after seeing this absolutely amazing movie, it has cemented in my mind that Steve Rogers is a Solar. Untainted by the Great Curse, and with a permanent Righteous Lion Defense to "Do the right thing, every time. No shortcuts. No deals."

He strikes me as a Zenith Caste Solar with Melee and Martial Arts trained as well.
    Bucky is totally his Lunar Mate. You cannot fathom their Bro.

Falcon is an Air Aspected Dragon-Blooded that Exalts during the movie, and uses his suit as a means of expressing his mastery over Air.
    Black Widow is an Exigent of some sort, because be damned if she's totally human.

Nick Fury is a Chosen of Secrets who's secrets secret's have secrets.

Sure, there's no way to canonically do it, but Exalted allows you to knee canon in the crotch and rifle through its pockets to take what you need while it whimpers on the ground. - mockery

And Thrown! Don't forget Thrown!

Comment

Captain America and Wonder Woman are my favorite superhero solars.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

I'd have to make him a human with a special evocation shield.

Comment

Ep, even in the Marvel Universe, Steve's not human. Like... by a long shot. Peak human capacity in every aspect, both mental and physical, with an unshakable moral code, and the ability to get gods, demons, Hulks, Spirits of Vengeance and, in one case the Son of Satan, to follow him....

Man, he's a Solar. He's not a flashy Solar, but he's a Solar.

Sure, there's no way to canonically do it, but Exalted allows you to knee canon in the crotch and rifle through its pockets to take what you need while it whimpers on the ground. - mockery

Comment

Originally posted by HobbitGuy1420 View Post
            Thrown was kind of a gimme. Melee and Martial Arts were things he had to work at.

Comment

Originally posted by HobbitGuy1420 View Post
              He's also trained and proficient with firearms, so Archery. And don't forget War.

He's certainly got some investment in Integrity, Performance, Presence, Resistance and Survival, but perhaps not as much in total as he does among the Dawn Abilities.

Beyond exhorting Americans to donate to the war effort, did he need Performance much, compared to War? Did he need much in the way of Presence to convince people to follow him, considering he was ranked a captain and was also a supersoldier willing to lead from the front? And rather than rely much on Resistance, he has his shield. So, I think it's possible he didn't favor those three Abilities.

Dawn Caste Solars can be inspirational leaders, too, so I would say his Caste comes down to which one has the most appropriate Anima Effects in Third Edition.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I had a much longer post to put up, but I decided against it. I suggest you see the movie, and you'll get where I'm coming from.

Comment

Captain America is often presented in a way that is rather fitting of Alchemicals - a wonder of science, a heroic spirit given the body to match his ambitions, a hero of the state making himself into an icon of his country's ideals, and with his origins as a propaganda figure.

In this movie though... Yeah, definitely Solar.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocte ex Mortis View Post
                    I had a much longer post to put up, but I decided against it. I suggest you see the movie, and you'll get where I'm coming from.
                    I did see it.

Comment

You saw Winter Solder, or just the first one?

Because his rank as Captain, and a couple of your other points don't mean much of anything in Winter Soldier.

Edit: Huh, I just realized that seems a bit combative there. Not my intent, just an honest question. The new one makes some serious points about him being more than just a war machine, and goes to great, subtle, lengths to show him as a person, and why people see him as such a hero and a leader.
                      Last edited by Nocte ex Mortis; 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

You saw Winter Solder, or just the first one?

Because his rank as Captain, and a couple of your other points don't mean much of anything in Winter Soldier.
                        I saw the first movie, Avengers, and this second movie.

He only has cause to use a Solar Performance Charm or two (at most) in the first movie, when working Public Relations for the military; the first movie is also the only one where he would have need for Survival Charms.

I don't recall him convincing anyone of his point of view in the Avengers, or convincing people to change their minds in the second movie; don't clearly remember all moments of the first movie, but it doesn't seem like Solar Presence is a big enough thing for him.

He's got some Resistance, but Solar Resistance? Surviving being frozen alive might have been Solar Survival.

But he's gotten a lot of use out of Solar War in all three movies, as well as Solar Brawl/Unarmed, Solar Melee and Solar Thrown.

Comment

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, TW, but I'm not going to try to break down the series into individual Charms and scenes where he's using them to do it, because that ruins the magic of the movie for me. Suffice to say, you and I see it slightly differently, but I hope we can both agree that Winter Soldier was a blast to watch.

Comment

Hah I saw this movie with my parents on Sunday and every fight scene had me going "that man Steve Rogers is solar as fuck" . Good to know I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Comment

Ep, even in the Marvel Universe, Steve's not human. Like... by a long shot. Peak human capacity in every aspect, both mental and physical, with an unshakable moral code, and the ability to get gods, demons, Hulks, Spirits of Vengeance and, in one case the Son of Satan, to follow him....

Man, he's a Solar. He's not a flashy Solar, but he's a Solar.
                              He's a human who got hit with a drug that gives him super abilities but outside of that he has no special powers. Just a dude who has a lot of heart. I wouldn't make him a solar for the same reason I wouldn't make the actual batman a solar. Giving them solar exaltations just devalues what they've done.

Normal humans in an already magical world in my opinion lose some of what makes them special when you give them magical powers. It completely goes against what they are as an idea.
                              Last edited by Epimetheus; 04-10-2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X