Some simple Exigent guidelines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some simple Exigent guidelines

Disclaimer: Nothing here is set in stone. I suspect once 3rd edition has a few books out I'll look back on this as an old shame but if this gives someone the boost of confidence they need to continue a project or play the character they want then it was worth it. I may revisit or expand on it or step aside for more qualified people.

Step 1: Determine Nature
    Simply put, what is your Exalt the Exigent of? Perhaps you have a particular god that you would like as a patron or a particular concept you would like to represent? Some of these ideas are probably going to be fairly self-evident, a Bloody Hand is going to create a Chosen of Murder and a Volcano God is going to create a Chosen of Volcanoes.

Step 2: Planning
    Draw up a small table and divide it up as follows.
    Physical Social Mental
    It doesn’t matter how their charmset is going to be structured yet, all Exalt types are going to have some use for the following three categories.
    Physical is (at the very minimum) offence and defence even if they’re not presented as direct applications of force. A wall of psychic force will be considered physical at this stage even if it originates from the Exalt’s mental powers.
    Social is how they interact with the world. It’s easy to consider certain patrons non-social but even if they avoid interacting with the world or only do so through intimidation that’s still potentially fertile ground for charms.
    Mental is how they perceive the world. Even a patron that’s little more than animalistic rage will still notice things and react to them.

Now try to populate the table with some basic charm ideas. If you attempt this with an Exigent based around a concept you will likely discover you have difficulty filling out the tables, a concept cool enough to use as an anchor for your Exigent concept is likely to be impressive and powerful but concepts don’t perceive the world at all and that’s where a patron can enrich the entire thought exercise.

Another problem you could potentially have is where the central concept is extremely broad in a way that leaves you paralysed. A Chosen of Wisdom may seem like an interesting idea but the concept is rather difficult to pin down and differentiate from the most studious Exalted Castes but if you decide that the God of Wisdom takes the form of a giant owl and lives in a giant abandoned library, that can get you somewhere that the vague concept of Wisdom alone cannot.

For Example: A player wants to make a Chosen of a Volcano Goddess based on the Hawaiian goddess Pele. Under physical they have ideas for powers based on exerting the raw power of a volcano such as fire and environmental attacks. Under social they can channel her passion and jealousy. Finally mental can explore Pele as a creator as well as a destroyer. All the while the concept is anchored in real life Polynesian culture as a source of themes to run concurrently with having volcanic powers.

Similarly fixating on the patron and their history is not without its problems either. If we take the example of Ahlat, he was originally the god of bull walrus mating and feeling you need to include that might actually lessen your vision of his Exigent into something that’s actually less coherent.
    Another potential pitfall is that in our early third edition environment we’re going to be drawing most of what we know about particular gods from first and second edition where many of them simply weren’t written to be much more than dull bureaucrats living comfortably in Yu-Shan and refusing to get their own hands dirty.

Sometimes the added effort of trying to work in an element that doesn’t inspire you can be a breaking point that can lead to you abandoning the project. The obvious answer to this is ‘don’t do it’ but if you don’t have an interesting idea for the patron god up front and the concept is strong enough to provide you with a wealth of options you could agree with your Storyteller to resolve the detail of the patron’s identity later.

Last but not least, don’t be afraid to revisit step 1. Your initial concept evolving in light of new ideas is not a bad thing.

Step 3: The Excellency
    It’s productive here to think of an Excellency for your Exalt type because it’s a measuring stick for how powerful you want them to be and a way of incorporating their concept into every significant action they undertake. If we take the example of Revana Quin from the corebook she needs to stunt in an urban environment in order to achieve her full power.

One can also build dice tricks into the Excellency to help reinforce a distinct style.
    For example: Nedele is a Highroller, an Exigent who won her Exaltation is a high stakes game of cards with Plentimon with a normal dice cap of (Attribute) but rolling a 7, 8, 9 and 10 on any dice roll grants her a point of Luck which can be cashed it at any point during the story to reroll a single action.

Step 4: The Charms
    Phase 1 Stealing! Look for ideas similar to the ones you documented in Step 2 in the corebook. It’s easy to get worried about power level and consider the Solar Charms off limit but that is honestly shooting yourself in the foot.
    A lot of Solar charms are powerful in-context such as Dual Magnus Prana which would be much weaker if it was disconnected from Solar Craft or placed at high essence because they reflect something that’s on the edge of acceptability for Solar themes like flight as is the case of Bonfire Anima Wings.

Part of why I advised getting your Excellency out of the way in Step 3 is because knowing which dice pools can be modified by how much is important. For example, possessing a Stamina Excellency lets you increase your Soak in a way that a Solar can’t and may affect the relative value of some Resistance charms. Similarly if the maximum dice you can add to a Melee attack is 5 then a damage enhancer is less useful to you because skilled enemies that you may need it against will be more likely to sidestep it.

Phase 2 Innovation! Now you have what is essentially an assortment of parts and it’s your job to make them look like they belong together in the same set. Please remember that you don’t need to design charms for every Attribute or Ability as long as you and your storyteller have some idea what it would look like if changing circumstances in the game caused you to invest in new areas of expertise and the table from Step 2 should already shed insight on how the Exalt solves physical, mental and social problems.

Example: Faina is an Apothecary, an Exigent of the Syndic Uvanavu (The God of Health and Well-Being) and in addition to miraculous powers to heal the sick may also curse her foes with injury. As such her player has decided that the Solar Charm Injury-Forcing Technique is appropriate for one of Faina’s attack charms. While it is an essence 3 Lore charm for a Solar, combat-healing is more appropriate to her. The newly renamed Health-Syphoning Malediction is essence 1 and the start of a cascade of charms dedicated to stealing away a person’s health rather than physically injuring them.

Essence Pools
    A character’s essence pool represents a last check on power levels. Right now it’s an all Solar’s game with the core so shrinking the mote pools shouldn’t be required unless you come up with something absurdly overpowered. You may want to calibrate your Exalt to be comparable to an existing type as a means of future proofing the idea though.

Isn’t this a lot of work?
    Yes, but not as much as you might think.
    You don't need to have every charm written up front, this is secondary to a cohesive theme. In many ways its easier than working with one of the classic Exalt types th
    at try and run with several sometimes conflicting themes.
    Last edited by The Hug Ninja; 07-11-2017, 02:39 PM.

Simple Exigent Guidelines, a work in progress

Since I encouraged her to post this here in the first place I thought I would show my support and build on what she started with a guideline for updating charms from previous editions to 3rd edition that might be useful for someone attempting to create their own Exalt type.
    Converting Charms
    The effort to adapt charms into 3rd edition is often overstated, it’s true that there’s more of a thought process to it with the Withering/Decisive split and the new power levels but some aspects of the new system are a godsend for game balance like reset conditions.
    Often there’s no ‘correct’ way to update a charm to Third Edition and instead one must analyse how they used it before and compromise on the elements they weren’t using.

Example Charm:
    Pasiap Still Stands (Scroll of the Monk page 54) a shockingly powerful Terrestrial Martial Art charm from the Jade Mountain Style popular with Resistance focused Dragon-Blooded for offering the effective Resistance based defence that Dragon-Blooded Resistance refused to offer.

Right off the bat we have a problem, the charm enhances soak which doesn’t normally apply to Decisive damage so we need to think about what kind of charm this is.
    In my group I observed two major ways Pasiap Still Stands was used in 2.0 –as a last resort were you increased damage as high as it needed to go to try not to die or used in conjunction with armour and other sources of high soak to negate minimum damage When we compare these two to existing 3e charms-

The first use has more in common with Heavenly Guardian Defence since its negating attacks at critical moments it would probably be decisive-only and thus use Hardness instead of Soak. It’s a little weaker than HGD because it’s negating dice of damage rather than successes but the fact it’s paid for in motes instead of initiative makes it a little more dependable since it can be used in initiate crash. However there is a trade-off in that mote recovery is fairy fixed at 5m/round so a character that negates a sizable decisive attack in this manner will probably recover much slower than one who spent initiative and perhaps be out the fight from this exertion.
    It looks “okay” with the caveat that I’m not sure about the ‘Mastery’ or ‘Celestial’ keywords here if this is going to be a Martial Arts charm.

The second use is comparable to the Withering-Only charm Spirit Strengthens the Skin, but capable of shutting down Overwhelming. Now in 2nd edition this tactic was used to prevent your health levels from being gradually chipped away but since the initiative lost from withering damage can be recovered from going on your own counter offensive the proposition of negating minimum damage is a little different, akin to refusing to surrender an advantage.

It’s not wrong but with Withering you’ve got to ask yourself if it’d be boring if your opponent stubbornly refused to let your hits matter until they ran out of motes and my gut instinct here is ‘yes’.

Really with the build I described the enemy is high overwhelming perhaps coupled with charms that enhance the final damage that are going to make a mockery of it. A flat cost of say 6m, for a charm that cuts minimum damage in half seems reasonable and doesn’t promote a combat environment where people may feel they need an artefact weapon (or a heavier one) in order to participate. I pulled 6m out of thin air it may be under or overpriced.

We can also we take a moment to explore Pasiap Still Stands as an actual Martial Arts charm rather than a bootstrapped Resistance charm.

Third Edition facilitates a different approach to Martial Arts than previous editions, the buy in cost is steeper but the trade off to this is that a Martial Arts Style is more like a character aesthetic with built in pros and cons. We can see in the case of Crane Style boasting otherwise game breaking scene-length counterattacks on the requirement that you spend this time in full-defence or defend other, in essence being completely passive in a way that could be a liability.

Perhaps a similar mind-set could be extended to Jade Mountain if you were serious about updating it? It has that intriguing Form charm that lets you increase Strength and Stamina at the expense of Dexterity, an outlook that could conceivably be extended to Pasiap Still Stands. What if instead of a serious attempt to Dodge or Parry and activating the charm to eat the damage if you fail in that, instead its whole approach could be tailored to taking withering damage head on. Under such circumstances ignoring most of the consequences of getting hit will have become a significant more reasonable proposition.
    Now I just spent almost 700 words explaining that, so to someone skim reading this it may look like I went “really, it’s simple!” *long-winded techobabble* but really I’m asking two questions over and over again “What do I actually want it for?” and “Am I being fair by taking this?” then showing my workings out.
    My favourite answer to my PCs homebrewing is something I got from an old GM the “tentative yes” a shorthand for “your idea intrigues me, I’m not sure about the specifics of it but we’ll play it by ear and talk again if there’s problems” nothing stifles creativity quite like the desire to be objectively correct.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Great write-up. One quick thing I think you imply here but which I think it's worth saying outright:
      Originally posted by The Hug Ninja View Post
      Just because you make an ability based Exalt type doesn’t mean you need to have charms written for every ability[/FONT][/COLOR]
      I would restate this as something more forceful, like "You don't have to write every Charm upfront."

When you're making an Exigent, you can make up the Charms on the fly. If it's a character you're playing, you don't need to invent a Charm until you have the XP to pay for one. If you're writing an Exigent concept to post on the forum, you just need enough to get your point across.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
        Great write-up. One quick thing I think you imply here but which I think it's worth saying outright:

I would restate this as something more forceful, like "You don't have to write every Charm upfront."

When you're making an Exigent, you can make up the Charms on the fly. If it's a character you're playing, you don't need to invent a Charm until you have the XP to pay for one. If you're writing an Exigent concept to post on the forum, you just need enough to get your point across.

And the same goes for Evocations. When you design an artifact weapon for your character, because you are a cool crafter and just created one, you don´t need to write the complete Evocation tree of your weapon. Decide attunement bonus, theme/material, a couple of the "basic" Evocations, and write the rest as you are going to buy them.

Comment

This is super cool! Thanks for sharing!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
          I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post

I agree, in retrospect I could've stated that more firmly. Thank you.
            Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
            This is super cool! Thanks for sharing!
            You're most welcome.

Comment

There's one thing that I might suggest that I remember Holden talking about way back when; he's no longer one of the developers but I feel was also extremely important:

Originally posted by Holden
              Not trying to bag on you when I say this, because [Chosen of "concept"] is a super-intuitive first approach and it took us a while to figure out the wisdom I’m about to impart:

That is one of the worst ways to go about designing Exigents. It nets you a superhero rather than an Exalt about eight out of ten times. Unless an Exigent springs to mind full-formed, when you’re fishing about for them you almost always want to start with the god, not a concept. (Consider the different inherent thematic shading between “Chosen of Storms” and “Chosen of a Storm Mother,” or “Chosen of Wilderness” and “Chosen of a Dog of the Unbroken Earth”)
              Given what you have to say about a chosen of Pele, I'm pretty sure you already know that, but it's something I'd consider important to be explicit about.

Comment

I'm aware of that, yes.

I feel it’s important to note that Holden doesn't completely rule out the merits of a 'Chosen of Concept' and despite advising against it gives it a 1 in 5 success rate.

Part of the reason why I approached this like I did, is because I've seen people flounder in their attempts at making Exigents because they cared too much about using the god as the point of origin which I don't think is necessarily always the best what to go about it, particularly in the current environment where third edition is still the corebook and some ancillary materials so for gods we often need to revisit second edition and find yourself married to a patron that was written to fill an NPC quota who doesn't inspire you.

The table was something I envisioned as a way of checking if you were in danger of making a superhero as you went rather than potentially disparaging people from the start. To use one of Holden's examples, the Chosen of Storms is probably not going to struggle to fill in the physical part of the table because it's a very physical concept but Social and particularly Mental will likely present a greater challenge that can lead to them considering the patron.

Essentially it was envisioned as a more hands-off way of encouraging people to follow Holden's advice (unless they're absolutely certain they're the exception) by allowing them to discover for themselves that Chosen of a Storm Mother has a greater thematic reach unless they have good ideas for the god of storms before they reach the point of designing charms, but nevertheless I concede that I could've be more explicit about that.
                Last edited by The Hug Ninja; 06-29-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hug Ninja View Post
                  Part of the reason why I approached this like I did, is because I've seen people flounder in their attempts at making Exigents because they cared too much about using the god as the point of origin which I don't think is necessarily always the best what to go about it, particularly in the current environment where third edition is still the corebook and some ancillary materials so for gods we often need to revisit second edition and find yourself married to a patron that was written to fill an NPC quota who doesn't inspire you.
                  She's kinda talking about me here.

I mused on a Celestial Courtesan (Chosen of Prostitution) who was going to draw heavily from the often overlooked historical role of sex workers as entrepreneurs and pioneers as well as covering the graceful geisha archetype. Meanwhile this is the canonical goddess of prostitution of 2nd edition. I've ranted about her before but it illustrates the problems you can face if you're working with a god who was written by someone who clearly put a lot less thought into the concept than you did.
                  Originally posted by Yu-Shan page 142
                  Livilla is a proud supporter of the Bronze Faction, as the Solar Exalted’s reign and the prosperity that went along with it meant that there were very few people who felt compelled to prostitute themselves out of hunger or poverty. The Dragon-Bloods and their atavistic desires to reproduce meant that under their control, Creation always had a need for prostitutes, ranging from high-end courtesans to downtrodden rent-boys.
                  Luckily, even my OCD gave up at the idea of trying to polish a turd like this but the moment of inspiration was lost when I was thinking how to totally rewrite her.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                  Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

In context, I think it helps to consider that Holden writing as a developer can adopt the stance of not planning to write or approve the inclusion of poorly written gods while its easy for a player or storyteller to feel mostly saddled with canon even when its awful for.. a number of reasons.

Furthermore if by the time the Exigents book is released, people feel the need to look back at Second Edition books such as RoGD 1 and Compass Yu-Shan to get their patrons (as oppose to having the option if they wish a sense of completeness or inter-game continuity) something must have gone horribly fucking wrong.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see you tackle patrons.

Comment

Inspired by these guidelines I put some thoughts to paper based on your ideas and came up with this based on a Goddess in my game. I can say 100% these guidelines made this way easier to do; it was something I wanted to do but had issues dealing with what I wanted to put down on the paper until I started doing this. So here's what I came up with as an idea of what I've got.
                      Step 1; Determine Nature

Patron: Epona, Goddess of Races, Contests, and Competition.
                      A Racing Goddess with long windblown green hair and blazing red eyes, Epona is as old as the first time that humans raced across the ground. Myopic in focus yet prone to emotional decisions, Epona tends to her domain with fervor but often takes flights of fancy to visit those who participate in her purview, at times taking them as lovers and confidants. She raises no problems and is left alone; due to the width and strength of her purview, raising hands against Epona could be a disaster, so she is considered too dangerous to interfere with. Caring and compassionate, she has at times disappeared to raise a child or even a family with a chosen lord of her domain, before returning to her work. Other Gods and Goddess at times gently mock her for being slow to adapt to trends and changes; she is always a season behind at court and the last to adopt new inventions, even those that improve her purview, but she doesn’t let this bother her and moves at her own pace. Epona always appears as the ultimate example of the sport that someone in her purview would be; a runner sees a lithe and graceful figure, a weight lifter a wide and powerfully built woman, a horseback rider a small and petite woman. Only gods and her exalt see her as she truly is; a living statue of gold and brass, a victor’s trophy of stunning magnificence. She has never been a woman who favors footraces or boats, and her favored methods of transportation are her carefully maintained War Chariot and a Dragon wheel.

Step 2: Planning
                      Physical Social Mental
                      • Combat abilities focus around Clashes; able to do well in Clashes in every ability.
                      • One based on benefits of having higher initiative; the more in charge.
                      • Athletics, Ride, and Sail all sharing either one tree or having cross-applicable charms
                      • Stronger when competing against someone
                      • Charms stronger when mounted
                      • Supportive charms; able to cheer on someone so much they get better at what they’re doing
                      • Slow responses in social situations, favoring holding off on saying anything for benefits..
                      • Can always appear in a way that is helpful to what is wanted
                      • Able to ignore barbs and mockery like water off a duck’s back
                      • Benefits to flights of fancy and fun; for leaving a project then returning or similar.
                      • Can see what an individual excels at through observation
                      • Better Join Battle when mounted or similar.

Charms that work across abilities and are cross-applicable, akin to Martial/Martial-Ready. Split up something like this

Ride/Sail/Athletics
                      Melee/Brawl/War
                      Archery/Thrown/Dodge
                      Presence/Performance/Socialize
                      Resistance/Integrity/Survival
                      Occult/Lore/Medicine
                      Awareness/Investigation
                      Craft/Bureaucracy/Linguistics
                      Stealth/Larceny

Step 3; Excellency

Epona’s Excellency has a Dice Cap of (Ability). Each time she uses the same Excellency in a scene, her dice cap increases by 1, to a maximum of (Ability + Essence). Her Excellencies are purchased by buying a charm in the ability.

Step 4; The Charms

New Keywords;

Linked; A Linked Charm is purchased in an ability, but can then be applied to it’s Linked Abilities, noted in the link. Some of these charms may have slightly different effects when used through a different ability, which are noted.

Mounted; a Charm with the Mounted Keyword changes it’s functions when Mounted; as Epona is more comfortable mounted on a horse then on her feet, her Exigent finds themselves mirroring this.

Overwhelming Chariot Charge
                      Cost; 4m. Mins; Melee 3, Essence 1
                      Type; Reflexive
                      Keywords; Linked (Brawl, War), Decisive-Only, Mounted
                      Duration; Instant
                      Prerequisite Charms; ???
                      With the force of a charging chariot, The Competitor delivers a wounding blow. This charm supplements a Decisive Attack, adding the 10s rolled on the attack roll to her decisive damage.
                      Mounted; When used while mounted, The Competitor instead adds all extra successes to her damage roll.
                      Link; The Competitor may use this charm as part of a Command action to add dice to the Battle Group’s raw damage equal to half her successes.

Impenetrable Projectile Barrage
                      Cost; 5m, 1wp Mins; Thrown 4, Essence 2
                      Type; Reflexive
                      Keywords; Linked (Archery), Clash, Decisive-Only
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; ???
                      The Competitor fills the sky with projectiles loosed like javalins, each sent to strike a foe’s attack in glorious conflict. This Charm creates a Clash attack against a ranged attack that is aimed at the Competitor or one of her allies. This charm counts as her action for the turn, but she may repeatedly use this charm during the turn she activates it, waiving the willpower cost and gaining a 1 mote discount for each time it is used, and her Initiative will only reset at the start of the next turn.

Refulgent Arrow
                      Cost; 5m Mins; Archery 3, Essence 3
                      Type; Supplemental
                      Keywords; Decisive-Only, Mounted
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; ???
                      Her bow shining like a torch, the Competitor unleashes an arrow at a challenging foe, intent to put them down. The decisive attack supplemented by this charm increases it’s raw damage by the opponent’s Initiative, but can only be used when the Competitor has higher initiative than her opponent. This charm may only be used once per scene, but is reset by crashing an opponent who has more initiative than the Competitor.
                      Mounted; If the Competitor is Mounted, increase her Initiative by her Essence for the purposes of the comparison.

Charging Stallion Ride
                      Cost; 3m Mins; Ride 3, Essence 1
                      Type; Supplemental, Linked (Athletics, Sail)
                      Keywords; None
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; None
                      The Competitor is fleet of foot and fast or riding, always at the head of the pack. In any test of speed or race, the Competitor rerolls 1s and 2s until they fail to appear, and these can not be used to benefit an opponent’s charms.

Fist Meets Fist
                      Cost; 0m Mins; Brawl 1, Essence 1
                      Type;Supplemental
                      Keywords; Withering-Only
                      Duration;One Scene
                      Requirements; None
                      The Competitor thrives when fighting an opponent in the same field; to make someone better, they themselves grow. This charm supplements a Withering Attack, if it hits and successfully deals damage, the Competitor gains a specialty in fighting their opponent, which applies to all actions taken while in combat with that opponent.

Fistful of Fire
                      Cost; 3m Mins; Brawl 3, Essence 1
                      Type; Reflexive
                      Keywords; Counterattack, Withering-Only
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; Fist Meets Fist
                      With her knowledge of the opponent’s fighting style, the Competitor seizes upon weaknesses and harries him. Against an opponent who the Competitor has a specialty in fighting, she may activate this charm to reflexively counterattack him whenever he misses her with an attack.

Stirring Cheerleading Call
                      Cost; 5m Mins; Performance 3, Essence 1
                      Type; Simple
                      Keywords; Linked (Presence)
                      Duration; One Scene
                      Requirements; ???
                      The Competitor is more than just a participant. Rather, she excels in all aspects of the Competition, even cheering on those who are risking life and limb for Epona’s favor. This charm allows the Competitor to roll (Performance + Charisma), with a difficulty of 1, targeting someone who is currently engaged in a competition of some sort. The character gains a pool of bonus dice equal to the Competitor’s extra successes, which they may use to augment any roll in the competition. The Competitor may use this charm multiple times per scene but the dice do not stack, they are simply replaced.
                      Linked; The linked version uses Presence instead of Performance

Roused Bear Insult
                      Cost; 3m Mins; Presence 2, Essence 1
                      Type; Supplemental
                      Keywords; None
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; None
                      Like her patron, the Competitor is better off letting words slide off her back until she can appropriately dismiss them, as rapid insults and barbed sparring does not fit her. This charm enhances a Presence acton, made against a target who has made presence actions against the Competitor prior in the scene. For each action that has been taken by them against the Competitor without the Competitor responding, their Resolve or Guile is lowered by 1 point. After using this charm, the Competitor must return to waiting and preparing quietly- the count resets and starts again at 0-.

Exactly The Person Needed Approach
                      Cost; 6m Mins; Socialize 4, Essence 2
                      Type; Simple
                      Keywords; Linked (Larceny, Stealth)
                      Duration; Indefinite
                      Requirements; ???
                      Taking Epona’s own features into account, the Competitor becomes a person who is needed. Anyone who is looking for someone- be it an accountant, an assassin, or a confidant-, finds the Competitor seems a person that is appropriate for their needs, akin to having a minor Tie.
                      Linked; The Larceny and Stealth versions of this charm make the Competitor look like she belongs where she is or help her disguise function by passing of her actions as reasonable.

Stoic Court Stance
                      Cost; 4m Mins; Integrity 3, Essence 1
                      Type; Reflexive
                      Keywords; Linked (Resistance, Survival)
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; ???
                      Epona does not particularly enjoy being at Court, and instead considers it more of something to endure versus something to participate in. Because of this, she has mastered the methods of pretending to pay attention while ignoring everything people are saying to her. Her competitor can do the same with her power. When targeted by a Social Influence roll focusing on her resolve or guile, the Competitor may ignore it so long as she herself has not attempted to use Social Influence during the scene. This charm only works once per scene.
                      Linked; When used in Resistance, the Competitor may activate this charm to increase her soak by (Essence + Integrity). However, this may only be done once per scene. When used in Survival, she may do the same against an Environmental Hazard roll.

Irrepressible Wanderlust
                      Cost; 6m, 1wp Mins; Craft 3, Essence 1
                      Type; Reflexive
                      Keywords; Linked (Bureaucracy, Linguistics)
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; ???
                      Epona, and thus the Competitor that shares her spark, is prone to wandering off when she feels like it, to do things she considers more enjoyable and to return to her work with more focus at a later date. The Competitor may use this charm at any point in a craft roll to pause her project. She puts the project on hold and goes to do something fun; from a day on the beach to a week long bender to a month of traveling or a year of married life. This invigorates her creatively and refreshes her. The terminus of her artifact is pushed back by 1 for each length of time; a day, a week, a month, or a year, and on her next craft roll on the artifact she doubles 8s. While she is on her break, she must not think of her artifact at all.
                      Linked; This charm functions the same for Linguistics rolls when writing novels, or Bureaucracy rolls involving governance or leading others.

Trained Scouting Eyes
                      Cost; 2m Mins; Awareness 2, Essence 1
                      Type; Reflexive
                      Keywords; Linked (Socialize)
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; ???
                      The Competitor can see what individuals are good at with a casual glance, to better judge them. This charm is a (Wits + Awareness) roll with a difficulty of the character’s Guile. Success reveals any attribute or ability that the character has at 5 that could reasonably be understood by the Competitor’s stunt.
                      Linked; The Socialize version uses (Wits + Socialize).

Explosive Entry Charger
                      Cost; 4m Mins; Ride 2, Essence 1
                      Type; Supplemental
                      Keywords; Linked (Athletics)
                      Duration; Instant
                      Requirements; ???
                      The Competitor and her horse are as one, and always prepared for war and battle. When the Competitor rolls Join Battle while Mounted, she adds a number of automatic successes equal to her Mount’s Speed, and rerolls (essence) Failed dice.
                      Linked; When used with Athletics, the Competitor need not be mounted, but she only rerolls (Essence) Failed dice instead of adding Automatic successes.

Essence Pools;

Personal/Peripheral
                      11/31
                      13/37
                      15/43
                      17/49
                      19/55

Comment

Revised the guidelines in response to feedback thus far.
                        Originally posted by Flare View Post
                        Inspired by these guidelines I put some thoughts to paper based on your ideas and came up with this based on a Goddess in my game. I can say 100% these guidelines made this way easier to do; it was something I wanted to do but had issues dealing with what I wanted to put down on the paper until I started doing this. So here's what I came up with as an idea of what I've got.
                        Good to see it working as intended.
                        I'd have more to share myself but many of these observations were born from failure, I tend to instinctually associate complex with good and produce an overwrought mess if I'm not careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                          I've ranted about her before but it illustrates the problems you can face if you're working with a god who was written by someone who clearly put a lot less thought into the concept than you did.
                          She also has a penis. Trying to work with that seems like it would be destined to end up as transphobic shock value.

This is probably the most informative aspect of these guidelines (along with the part about trying to link Ahlat to Bull Walrus mating). Checking to see if the concept has mileage that you feel has been hobbled by a god who was only written as a minor antagonist or because someone needed to fill space in a book.
                          Last edited by Bladewind; 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Throwing my 2 cents into this:

Not trying to reinvent the wheel here but how is an Exigent Exalt any different from an Akuma? A spirit granting the Endowment that creates an Exigent seems to be the only actual difference.

You can just use the Akuma creation method of 2e's Infernals as a guide, but instead of Demonic Inheritance/Patron backgrounds the Exigent has the benefits of a Divine version of the backgrounds (i.e. the bonus points and experience). One other consideration, Yozis are usually the ones granting the Akuma its power, so a god doing so as a lesser divine power wouldn't necessarily endow the Exigent at the 5 dot version of the backgrounds. I'd say limit the background to a maximum number of dots equal to the god's Essence rating. From there, you can build an Exigent. Instead of an Exigent gaining the Creature of Darkness mutation, give it the Magical Attunement mutation for free along with Awakened Essence and Aura of Power (1/3 of the Exigent's essence pool is Personal, the rest Peripheral). Any other mutations you add are treated as Divine mutations instead of demonic. One further guideline of Exigent Exaltation, based on what we know from Akuma, the exigent cannot learn or gain any power or charm the god itself doesn't actually know, just as an Akuma relies on the Yozi patron for Charms, so too must an Exigent rely on their patron deity. To limit the gods ability to create more Exigents, put in a limiting factor, either have a commitment of essence requirement or have the god lose a dot of Essence for each Exigent the god endows (such a dot could be committed to the Exigent as long as the Exigent is alive).

I know this is not an "official" way of making Exigents, but I've been doing this in my own games of 2nd edition and it works just fine. The Exigents my players have faced so far have been modestly powerful.

Comment

I assume you mean the general mechanics of Investiture of Infernal Glory not the destruction of their free will issue that Akuma have.

If the Exigent is limited to learning their patron's charms then the story of Strawmaiden Janest doesn't really work because there would be nothing she could do in that situation that Ten Sheaves couldn't have.

I also found the spirit charmset to be at best a stop-gap solution for anything that wasn't a spirit.
                              Last edited by The Hug Ninja; 08-06-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X