Shaping ritual: Sacred Geometry [PEACH]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaping ritual: Sacred Geometry [PEACH]

I've always quite liked the image of magic being worked through elaborate seals and glyphs, and none of the shaping rituals in the Ex3 core really speak to that.

Sacred Geometry

Having undertaken an intensive study of the arcane mathematics underpinning Creation, the sorcerer has gained insight into occult figures, runes, and glyphs that can be used to shape Creation's Essence.

Shaping Rituals

As part of a shape sorcery action, the sorcerer draws, paints, or scratches a complex geometric figure on the ground or any other convenient surface. When complete, light springs forth from the figure's lines and curves in the color(s) of the Exalt's anima as her spell takes effect. The larger and more detailed the figure, the more power the sorcerer can derive from it. When using this ritual, each Shape Sorcery action after the first gains a cumulative +1sm (1 additional sorcerous mote on the second action, 2 on the third, 3 on the fourth, etc).

If the sorcerer prefers, she can funnel the energy of her spell into the glyph itself, rather than allowing it to manifest immediately. She draws the glyph on some portable surface or object, such as a scroll or tablet; when the glyph is complete, she rolls Intelligence + Occult, and the successes indicate the number of days for which the glyph will hold the spell's energy. In effect, the sorcerer creates a single-use "instant spell;" at any time before the energy fades, she can will the spell to manifest, and it will do so instantly, taking effect according to its description. The glyph then flares and vanishes; paper or other flammable materials are set aflame and destroyed, but a stone tablet or similar durable object can be reused.

Other Benefits

Mathematical Savant (Merit •): The sorcerer's arcane studies have granted her deep insight into mundane mathematics as well. Any time she makes a roll to perceive or comprehend a mathematical puzzle or clue, such as solving a cipher or uncovering a Dynast's shady accounting practices, she gains the benefit of double 9s.

Gambler's Delight (Merit •••): The sorcerer's mastery of numismancy allows her to place her thumb on the scales of probability. Whenever she is faced with an event whose outcome is random (or apparently random), she may spend 3m to decide how the die falls, which cup the bean is under, which card will appear next, etc. Note that excessive and/or flagrant use of this ability tends to draw unwanted attention...

I'm not sure on giving a Mote Cost for Gambler's Delight, given that Merits by and large don't seem to assume Essence Use.

Other than that, this looks nifty.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I want it to have a cost, as Gambler's Delight can potentially be very powerful: "I'll bet you ten jade talents/your firstborn child/your soul/a lifetime of servitude that the next card is the Ace of Cups!" Would 1wp work better?

Comment

What about requiring the user to gather sorcerous motes to pull it off? Making using the merit, itself, a gamble? Admittedly, one done at the House's odds, but...

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
          I want it to have a cost, as Gambler's Delight can potentially be very powerful: "I'll bet you ten jade talents/your firstborn child/your soul/a lifetime of servitude that the next card is the Ace of Cups!" Would 1wp work better?
          I think so. You might include a note that magic probably can defeat it, or at least that the magic might lead to it being contested.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Shaping Rituals

As part of a shape sorcery action, the sorcerer draws, paints, or scratches a complex geometric figure on the ground or any other convenient surface. When complete, light springs forth from the figure's lines and curves in the color(s) of the Exalt's anima as her spell takes effect. The larger and more detailed the figure, the more power the sorcerer can derive from it. When using this ritual, each Shape Sorcery action after the first gains a cumulative +1sm (1 additional sorcerous mote on the second action, 2 on the third, 3 on the fourth, etc).
            love this shaping ritual though i'm concerned by how effective it can be in battle, esspeacially if you don't have support crew to guard your position. perhaps i would add the ability to have premade glyphs written on scraps of cloths that you can make before the battle. This could also have an added ability of adding mobility so you can try to areange the glyphs in a specific pattern on a large area to form an even larger glyph for added effect.

If the sorcerer prefers, she can funnel the energy of her spell into the glyph itself, rather than allowing it to manifest immediately. She draws the glyph on some portable surface or object, such as a scroll or tablet; when the glyph is complete, she rolls Intelligence + Occult, and the successes indicate the number of days for which the glyph will hold the spell's energy. In effect, the sorcerer creates a single-use "instant spell;" at any time before the energy fades, she can will the spell to manifest, and it will do so instantly, taking effect according to its description. The glyph then flares and vanishes; paper or other flammable materials are set aflame and destroyed, but a stone tablet or similar durable object can be reused.
            this seems too powerful for a shaping ritual, the ability to preprpare spells and sorceorus traps outside of the spells normal abilities, however there is precedent for something like this, for example there was an artifact in second edition that could catch spells, and then release them when desired, but the current system is designed to release spells imidiately and in the previous system i believe you could only do it with that artifact. not saying that it should be possible, but i would throw it behind a merit rather than a shaping ritual.

Other Benefits

Mathematical Savant (Merit •): The sorcerer's arcane studies have granted her deep insight into mundane mathematics as well. Any time she makes a roll to perceive or comprehend a mathematical puzzle or clue, such as solving a cipher or uncovering a Dynast's shady accounting practices, she gains the benefit of double 9s.

Gambler's Delight (Merit •••): The sorcerer's mastery of numismancy allows her to place her thumb on the scales of probability. Whenever she is faced with an event whose outcome is random (or apparently random), she may spend 3m to decide how the die falls, which cup the bean is under, which card will appear next, etc. Note that excessive and/or flagrant use of this ability tends to draw unwanted attention...
            both of these are pretty nice, although i would like to see something more than just dice adders on the mathmatical savant, just to make it a bit more cool.

gamblers delight is wonderful, and i just love the idea of making minor alterations of fate and the amount of things that a character could do with this seemingly simple thing, however the mote cost makes it so that it would be impossible for a mortal sorcerer without a mote pool to use, i would change this to have it be spending a point of wp instead.

overall i really like your sorcerous initiation, i love seeing homebrew so i was really happy to see this one, and i hope i didn't over step with any of my suggestions.

Elemental and dragon line descriptors and capturing device coming soon
            Craft Rewrite W/ Points, Slots, and Charms
            Executive Leadership Organization Merrit

Comment

Yeah,. I agree that storing spells in glyphs for later use is cool but overpowered. If you want to balance that ability I can think of two ways to do it:

1. You make the glyph ahead of time instead of drawing it in battle. This let's you store up some Sorcerous Motes ahead of time, but you still have to do Shape Sorcery to get the rest of the motes-the glyphs take time to charge up and go off. This makes it mechanically work just like other initiations that let you store motes.

2. Make it difficult to transport/carry these glyphs. I'd do a size rule-due to complexity, a drawn spell requires a certain amount of surface area-maybe about a human's worth for Terrestrial, an Ox's worth for Celestial, and a Yeddim's worth for Solar? The idea is that if you're carrying glyphs you can't just put 'em on a glove Fullmetal Alchemist style, you have to carry huge Tapestry-make scrolls and unfurl them or tattoo your entire body or carve them into the side if your boat or your wagon or your daiklave. This limits the number if spells you can have readily on hand in combat at any given time...but still let's you be a terrifyingly potent force in your own fortress where you have access to infrastructure.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
              -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
                2. Make it difficult to transport/carry these glyphs. I'd do a size rule-due to complexity, a drawn spell requires a certain amount of surface area-maybe about a human's worth for Terrestrial, an Ox's worth for Celestial, and a Yeddim's worth for Solar? The idea is that if you're carrying glyphs you can't just put 'em on a glove Fullmetal Alchemist style, you have to carry huge Tapestry-make scrolls and unfurl them or tattoo your entire body or carve them into the side if your boat or your wagon or your daiklave. This limits the number if spells you can have readily on hand in combat at any given time...but still let's you be a terrifyingly potent force in your own fortress where you have access to infrastructure.
                This just gave me the most epic image of an army having a giant scroll, big enough that it has to be carried on a Yeddim-drawn cart, containing Death Ray to use as a seige weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
                  Yeah,. I agree that storing spells in glyphs for later use is cool but overpowered. If you want to balance that ability I can think of two ways to do it:

1. You make the glyph ahead of time instead of drawing it in battle. This let's you store up some Sorcerous Motes ahead of time, but you still have to do Shape Sorcery to get the rest of the motes-the glyphs take time to charge up and go off. This makes it mechanically work just like other initiations that let you store motes.

This is better than what I was going to suggest. So, this.

Ultimate Jade-Screened Exalted Scholar, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar
                  THDR : Future Dragon-Blooded campaign, and other links.
                  If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!

Comment

This is way too cool to be forgotten.
                    What do you think of this refinement?

A touch on the pre-cast method, a new simple ritual and a couple clarifications...

I want to think up another merit, but i'm drawing a blank for two days now x.x

Shaping Rituals

Addendum: disrupting the drawing disperses the extra sorcerous motes it granted. In combat this is a difficulty 5 gambit against the sorcerer.

Going off the suggested "an extra pre-casted shape sorcery action" route, I propose this variation:

The Geometer's labor is industrious and prolonged, and this demands she learns to wrest essence into enduring patterns, designed to be incorporated into more complex inscriptions.
                    She prepares a sigil that stores the sorcerous motes from a single Shape Sorcery action, to be drawn into any spellcasting at a later time.
                    Any spell can benefit from a single sigil.

Sigils are large, complex, and drawn, sculpted or carved with specialized tools and materials to channel and solidify essence. Their confection is expensive (resources 2, 3 or 4 depending on the spell tier they can fuel) and demands some space: A terrestrial sigil might be the size of a man. A celestial sigil would fill a large wall. A solar sigil would fill a small house. Drawing and carving those sigils are minor (terrestrial, celestial) and major (solar) projects on their own.

The Geometer may also draw a quick, portable sigil. Its design is too small and without proper materials its power is ephemeral, made stable solely by the Geometer's will keeping it in check. There can only be one such sigil at a time, and the Shape Sorcery roll it stores cannot be enhanced by magic.
                    ----------------------------------------------

New ritual:
                    An experienced Geometer has greater mastery of sigil magic. Any spell reliant on the drawing and usage of sigils, runes, mandalas and fractals may convert stunt dice to successes.

Other Benefits

Change cost to 1wp as suggested before.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

This just gave me the most epic image of an army having a giant scroll, big enough that it has to be carried on a Yeddim-drawn cart, containing Death Ray to use as a seige weapon.
                      This is one of the coolest goddamn things I've read in recent memory.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

I suggest there should be something including more then just 2D shapes. Pyramids and Stone Henge and such were also sacred Geometry, and Geomancy includes a lot of it.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          I suggest there should be something including more then just 2D shapes. Pyramids and Stone Henge and such were also sacred Geometry, and Geomancy includes a lot of it.
                          I tried to word it to suggest that, yeah. A sculpture is just as valid a method to channel sorcery as a drawing on the sand.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I wrote it all more consistently here. With the three methods I'm trying to evoke very specific imagery: The philosopher doodling on the sand to explain a problem, the architect materializing ideas into the real world and the student first noticing the truth of math manifest onto the world.
                          Last edited by Synapse; 08-17-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Those are three good examples, I probably missed pointing out to 3D methods when I read it.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I'm not wild about the idea of making sigils cost resources, or making them crafting projects in their own right. My intent is that each glyph is a single-use device

I'm prepared to concede that the idea of pre-prepared spells is overpowered. Therefore, replace that section with the following:

The sorcerer can also draw figures which store motes for later use. There are three variations of this, corresponding to the three Circles of sorcery. In order to use each variant, the sorcerer must be initiated into the corresponding Circle. The sorcerer takes either one (for a Terrestrial glyph), two (for a Celestial glyph), or three (for a Solar glyph) Shape Sorcery actions; the resulting sorcerous motes are bound into the glyph, rather than being used to cast a spell immediately. If the sorcerer leaves the glyph's immediate vicinity (moves farther away than short range), the glyph begins to fade, losing one Shape Sorcery action's worth of sorcerous motes per turn, until it vanishes when its energy has completely decayed. Returning to the glyph stops the decay, but the lost motes are unrecoverable. In any event, the glyph cannot last beyond the end of the scene.

After completing the glyph, the sorcerer may draw upon the stored Essence at any time by touching the glyph and willing the motes to flow into her. This can only be done once: the sorcerer gains all the sorcerous motes stored in the glyph, and the glyph flares and vanishes. If the motes gained are enough to pay the cost of the spell the sorcerer wishes to cast, she casts it immediately with no further actions required. Otherwise, she takes additional Shape Sorcery actions as normal until she can pay the spell's cost. If the sorcerer gained more motes than necessary to cast the spell, all surplus motes are lost. Each spell may only benefit from a single glyph in this manner; the sorcerer may not, for example, tap three Terrestrial glyphs in turn and combine their motes.

Comment

Working...
                              X