No announcement yet.

Shaping ritual: Sacred Geometry [PEACH]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sigils I suggested are disposable as well(I guess it wasn't clear? I've rectified it!), and they will often hold a dozen sm or more with a single Shaping, which beats most other rituals out there.
    It also plays into the architect symbolism that the greek loved.
    Last edited by Synapse; 08-19-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

A craft project that requires Resources ••-••••, and destroys itself on use? Yeah, no. You've overcorrected from "instant spells are overpowered."

Comment

Is it, though?
        Most sorcerers stick to 2, which is kinda cheap. I'm not particularly concerned about the essence 5 solar having issues gathering resources 4 to throw on a small nuke.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
          A craft project that requires Resources ••-••••, and destroys itself on use? Yeah, no. You've overcorrected from "instant spells are overpowered."
          I mean, my Eclipse character has some of his servants engage in similarly-impermanent craft projects that require Resources •••​. It's called "cooking."

​I don't particularly see this as an overcorrection.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            It's called "cooking."
            I don't know what made you think a smarmy attitude would impress me, but it really doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
              I don't know what made you think a smarmy attitude would impress me, but it really doesn't.
              Impressing you wasn’t my intent; voicing disagreement with your judgment was.

Comment

Going off the 3E resources levels when compared to 1/2E (each dot is pretty significantly more potent in this edition, 3 being wealthy merchant prince/Dynastic stipend) wouldn't a happy median be a dot of resources per circle of sorcery?

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

I'm not sure how I'd rate it myself, but if you want something to compare it to the existing spell-storing magical item in 3E is a 4 dot artifact (it has restrictions on what spells it can catch and it requires a roll to catch it, but it is reusable).

Comment

Here's my reasoning for 2/3/4
                    Corebook, on the meaning of resources as the item's cost:
                    "As such, each item is assigned a Resources value. The number given indicates the rating necessary for a character to view a purchase as a significant but not ruinous expense"

A terrestrial sigil, and thus something a terrestrial sorcerer would plan to have a few copies, is "significant" for someone with the wealth of "famous artisans" and "high ranking officers".
                    Sorcerer-architects rooted in civilization should have R2 as a matter of course, as such people have highly valuable skills.I'd expect a particularly successful thaumaturge to be on this tier.

How often will a celestial sorcerer-architect be established to the level of "this is a dynast's allowance"? Celestial sorcerers are capable of truly marvellous feats, and those attached to civilization will usually be lunar shahan-ya, sidereal agents and solars who carved their own little kingdom.

Finally, what constitutes a "significant, but not crippling expense" for a Solar sorcerer, people whose sorcerous might is unrivaled in the entire world, whose peers are counted in the singles and dozens?

Even a "world-famous manse architect" reaches Resources 4 as a mortal. And manse architects are right up this type of sorcerer's alley.

This ritual is not gutter magic. The very nature of those sigils demands the creation of lasting works, and merging with skills like geomancy and craftsmanship is natural. A sorcerer that happens to be an architect and is also destitute is so much an exception that their impoverishment is a story hook on its own. Poor Geometers will find better applications of their skills in the other two rituals.

Thus, for the typical "architect" geometer, the terrestrial sigils' availability ranges from "I should make one or two of those a month" to "My parties' preparation starts with making a personalized sigil for each guest".The other tiers retain a similar significance compared to their sorcerous gravitas.
                    Last edited by Synapse; 08-21-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X