3rd edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd edition?

All right I like exalted it's a great game and I understand why second edition was published there were some major rule problems with 1st edition. That said why is it that as soon as all the main books were out for 2nd edition we must jump straight to a 3rd edition? I know that new editions is a way to keep generating income from a game line but most companies at least give some time between editions. And I know that 3rd edition did take a while to hit the printers but it was basically made public as soon as Onyxpath took over. What I would like to hear is the reasoning that lead to this quick decision.

While I doubt anything concerning third edition could ever be considered 'quick'...

What you have to understand is, Second Edition killed the Exalted line. Go look to The Return of the Scarlet Empress. Read its introduction, and what it means. It was written as the last book of the line. It was meant to be the end of Exalted.

When Morke was placed as developer of the now web-only content to it, and published Glories... and Glories proved to be a ridiculous success... only then did Exalted get revitalized. Before that, it was considered dead (which is, I imagine, why Morke was chosen, being an untried developer. Something he himself pointed out.)

Of course, then they had to look at how to revitalize the line, and their thought is that Second Edition was built over a rotting foundation. You can find their comments in nishkriya and the 3e: What We Know wiki, which will explain why they had to move away from 2e if Exalted was to have a future far better than I can.

Comment

Did you see how big the errata had gotten? Imagine if they'd kept going and tried to fix Lunars or Scroll of the Monk.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

The EX2 system had some foundational issues that made it a chore to work with, and the edition was riddled with important books suffering from poor rules quality. Also, the edition's publishing method meant that the setting felt very mapped-down-to-the-last-grain-of-sand by the time it came to the end of its (ten-year!) run. A new edition was the best answer to all of those problems.

Former Exalted developer.
        --
        Holden Reads the entire classic World of Darkness
        Follow my RPG ramblings on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
          Did you see how big the errata had gotten? Imagine if they'd kept going and tried to fix Lunars or Scroll of the Monk.
          One can reasonably assume that an adjustment to the Lunars would probably be on par with the Fair Folk section, if not larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Colapso View Post
            *snip*
            When Morke was placed as developer of the now web-only content to it, and published Glories... and Glories proved to be a ridiculous success... only then did Exalted get revitalized. Before that, it was considered dead (which is, I imagine, why Morke was chosen, being an untried developer. Something he himself pointed out.)
            *snip*
            Is this accurate? It never made platinum on DTRPG and I remember the book bringing very divisive comments amongst the forum community.

Comment

Originally posted by tytalan View Post
              That said why is it that as soon as all the main books were out for 2nd edition we must jump straight to a 3rd edition?
              From my outside perspective, I don't find the choice strange at all.

Ex3 isn't just a change in mechanics and setting, but a change in philosophy in what the rules represent and how a setting should be presented. Even if some bugs of 2nd edition are hammered out, and certain books are ignored, it would still be the wrong tool for some (most?) of those interested in Exalted. Those willing to write (and probably those in a position of making it happen) were more interested in the new paradigm than the previous.

From my understanding, any prolonged lull between editions for a RPG isn't for because of some sort of service to the consumers, but out of a lack of interest from the license owners and those external parties that might pay for accessing a license. While the license owner at the time apparently didn't have much interest in Exalted, there where enough interest at OPP to bind up resources for producing things for Exalted. But OPP isn't a company with wast resources, so even if they would like to develop for an oExalted and a nExalted, it would still be a question of how to prioritize resources.

Then, there also is no "we must". I don't like the design choices of neither the mechanics nor setting for Ex3. My take on Exalted is a lot closer to 2ed than Ex3, and I have only cherry-picked a few things from Ex3 (primarily the new map and the new Intimacy system). Both 1st and 2ed books are still available on PDF and Print on Demand, so anyone new to Exalted can pick what version they prefer as their main, and use resources from the others (I find, for example, the DB Aspect books of 1st ed to be a great resource for my use of 2ed).

So, from my point of view, even if I vastly prefer 2ed ed myself, I think they made the right choice.

Basically; if you like the take on Exalted Ex3 provides, can afford the books, and don't mind it will take a while until there are official material for certain things (there are after all already a lot of fan made stuff out there), don't hesitate to make the jump.

If you prefer a previous edition, don't hesitate to stay with it. You won't be alone if you do (even if it can look that way on this forum from time to time).

Comment

Originally posted by Major View Post

Is this accurate? It never made platinum on DTRPG and I remember the book bringing very divisive comments amongst the forum community.
                The individual books (Sun, Moon, Maidens) each made platinum on their own; the bundled version made it as far as gold. I don't recall them being terribly divisive; I mean yeah, there is always a Charm or two to argue over, and some people objected on principle to statting up the Incarna or to the degree of magitech in the Daystar. But overall I remember reception being very positive.
                Last edited by Blackwell; 07-14-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

The errata to the Unconquered Sun Morke dropped later was divisive. The Unconquered Sun needed a boost, but not one that liberated him from the narrative Hooks of his Virtues.

But the original Glories of the Most High was pretty overwhelmingly loved.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

You are categorically incorrect. All three individual original releases broke platinum and single-handed Ly revived Exalted which had been intended to end with the soon to be released Return of the Empress (that's why that farewell is in RotE. While the brass at the time tried to deny its obvious meaning, it was in fact an end of the line statement that was no longer called for).

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                      The errata to the Unconquered Sun Morke dropped later was divisive. The Unconquered Sun needed a boost, but not one that liberated him from the narrative Hooks of his Virtues.
                      But the original Glories of the Most High was pretty overwhelmingly loved.
                      First off, fair point in describing people loving it.
                      I remember lots of sniping about content (disliking stating this, that, or the other) but that doesn't mean many people didn't love it.

What I wonder is the point about popularity drop off. Many attribute it to the quality but I am not so sure. After Glories, Exalted did not become as popular as it had been at the end of 1E and beginning of 2E where it was talked about everywhere. Now that 3E is out it is still nowhere the juggernaut it once was. It could be that the time for the game having crazy popularity had passed and people were no longer interested in the genre or concept with the same passion. During its life competitors were created or highlighted as well, they too could be having an effect.

Comment

What I wonder is the point about popularity drop off. Many attribute it to the quality but I am not so sure. After Glories, Exalted did not become as popular as it had been at the end of 1E and beginning of 2E where it was talked about everywhere. Now that 3E is out it is still nowhere the juggernaut it once was. It could be that the time for the game having crazy popularity had passed and people were no longer interested in the genre or concept with the same passion. During its life competitors were created or highlighted as well, they too could be having an effect.
                        The popularity drop off was, in part, from the way the gameline went to pure PDF publishing. I knew some people who bought their books at gaming stores and after Return of the Empress thought Exalted was dead because there were no new books being published. I had to point them towards drivethrurpg so they could keep buying books.

As to its current popularity, that's simply due to the fact that there's not much to talk about. There was a period of 4 years with no new material at all, between 2012 and 2016 and that is a lifetime in the publishing business (as a comparison all of First Edition Exalted was published in the span of 4 years). There was a big bump when 3rd edition came out, but since then there hasn't really been anything. I'm sure once we see more books being published you'll see Exalted starting to regain some of its old popularity, though I imagine it won't ever be what it once was.

Comment

The buzz is higher now than it was a few months ago, with the steady stream of new pdfs and the developer q/a thread. But we won't see interest spike again until Dragon-Blooded comes out.

(Note: if the kickstarter doesn't have a full preview text, expect the dragon-blooded kickstarter to be weak as many people will be skeptical about it delivering in a remotely timely manner; if there's full preview text it may do a lot better though)

Comment

(Note: if the kickstarter doesn't have a full preview text, expect the dragon-blooded kickstarter to be weak as many people will be skeptical about it delivering in a remotely timely manner; if there's full preview text it may do a lot better though)
                            As a guy with full faith in Vance and Minton at the wheel of Exalted... Yeah, gonna have to agree with this. Like even I would want to see at least previews at the start of the Kickstarter that convince me "No we actually more or less have the book done with writing, we just need formatting, art, and layout" before I back it. Like, I'm happy with the Exalted we got, but those years burned, man.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

The buzz is higher now than it was a few months ago, with the steady stream of new pdfs and the developer q/a thread. But we won't see interest spike again until Dragon-Blooded comes out.

I think there'll be a bit of a bump when Arms comes out, but more with Dragonblood.

Originally posted by tytalan
                              All right I like exalted it's a great game and I understand why second edition was published there were some major rule problems with 1st edition. That said why is it that as soon as all the main books were out for 2nd edition we must jump straight to a 3rd edition? I know that new editions is a way to keep generating income from a game line but most companies at least give some time between editions.
                              There was like 3 years between the end of 2nd edition, and the beginning of 3rd.

But this is pretty normal for roleplaying games. You publish all the books that are reasonable, then you go back and do a new edition of the Core and start again.
                              If you don't like 3rd ed, you can always play 2nd: after all, all the books for it are out (and have been for years).

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Working...
                              X