X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glamourweaver
    started a topic Immaculate Order vs Immaculate Faith

Immaculate Order vs Immaculate Faith

I'm trying to recall if I came up with this idea, read it from someone else online, or if it was printed in canon somewhere.

The Immaculate Order teaches that the Immaculate Dragons were the manifest embodied 5 Elemental Dragons themselves. The Immaculate Faith holds that they were exceptional Dragon-Blooded who through their deeds and righteousness achieved unity with the 5 Elemental Dragons in their martyrdom, as can others who follow in their footsteps.

• Blaque
    replied
    It also leads to things like folks saying the setting is wrong, because the mechanics seem to not reflect the actual demographics fo the setting. Which is what I have seen happen in context of those numbers and odds. My guess is that's not what it's meant to represent and should not be taken as such, as the numbers are likely more arbitrary and should be what works for the setting as the devs want it, not what a mechanic for a specific sort of gamew ith specifics orts of eneds says they should be.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Normally I'd agree, but this is literally just substituting one probability for another.
    The question is, is that probability uniform across all cases?

​In character, I would assume that the processes behind whether or now two patricians of good breeding have an Exalted child are a lot more complex than 20% across the board. A level of complexity that I would assume makes such children much less likely overall.

​I think you're half right about it not needing to be more complex, but mostly in the sense of it not being a heavily focused upon subject in games in general.

​What's important is to prevent a general background tone for what their society is like, and what expectations it contains. If mechanics for this subject are provided for players that would significantly transform the setting if they were applied to it as a whole, then those mechanics should not be applied to a purpose they're not designed for.

​... Dammit, I've said all of this, but I feel as though I'm veering wildly off-topic, because I don't even know where the subject originated. I need a reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Normally I'd agree, but this is literally just substituting one probability for another. There's no need to make it any more complex than that.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Basing results off of the roll of a single d10 is the very definition of a placeholder mechanic. Extrapolating principles of the setting from that is ludicrous.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    No, I was using the numbers from Scroll of Errata. For a dragonblooded and a mortal of no particular lineage the kid will exalt on a roll of 1-3, or 30%.

Two dragonblooded with no breeding whatsoever will see about 60% of their kids exalt, on average.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Surely it'd be 10%, rather than 30%.

Though that's really just for PCs. I mean, if you're playing the mortal granddaughter of a DB with moderate breeding, who has a kid with a regular bloke, and the ST/you feel like rolling a dice for whether they exalt when they are a teenager and get kidnapped by the bad guys (as opposed to just deciding it'd be interesting/not interesting), it might be "they exalt if you roll a 10", but that doesn't mean the demographic chance is 10%, it might be like 3.985% or something.

Unless you're referring to the 1st ed table? Though I thought that went down to 10% for a DB with no breeding who breeds with a mortal. Maybe it was 30%, it's a long time since I read it.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Do you mean the mechanics of rolling a single d10?

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Mechanically though, the effect plateaus at 30%.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    If the logic of the previous games holds up, then the descendants of Dragon Blooded having children with people who aren't sufficiently descended from Dragon Blooded will ultimately greatly reduce the odds of Exalting.

The notion of genetic dilution is just technically inaccurate.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    'Course, just because mixing with too many mortals won't dilute the bloodline and prevent exaltation, that doesn't mean the DBs don't think it will.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Has it been canonically stated that the Pure Way involves the direct worship of the Dragon-Blooded as divinities by mortals
    More or less.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Satrapy of the Realm on the coast of the Dreaming Sea that practices the Pure Way, a heterodox version of the Immaculate faith.
    Has it been canonically stated that the Pure Way involves the direct worship of the Dragon-Blooded as divinities by mortals, or did I make that up too?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Genes do not "dilute", and human population dynamics are driven by more complex factors than the mating habits of most animals.

Why, large numbers of genetically viable people never have any children at all.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

Prasad is a new locale in the Ex3 core. It is by the Dreaming Sea and is home to a Dragon Blooded aristocracy. That is from memory, maybe a bit off. But I'm sure it is a Db run Society and pretty sure that it is in the Dreaming Sea.
    The big corrections is they're actually pretty inland, not actually much on the coast. Their capital is Kamthahar. They also apparently have a pretty strict caste system, partially based on a person's household, and their variant of the Immaculate Philosophy, the Pure Way, places the Dragon-Blooded not just as more enlightened but outright divine and as living incarnated beings of worship. So instead of quite squelshing the Hundred Gods Heresy, they basically turn it into something that has to put DBs first rather than protecting quite gainst divien protection rackets I think.

They're notable to mea s well in that not only are they a satrapy, but due to the Realm being as I gather really laissez faire on things, they have gone and carved out a nice empire in the Southeast.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X