Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing from Exalted?

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I think it'd be more interesting to hear what mythic characters folks think were missing from previous editions of Exalted (perhaps in a new thread?) Some may be natural inspirations for the new Exalted, but others might work best with Ex3's presentation of classic Exalted types.
    So, at Vance's suggestion, I'm starting this thread to see if there are any mythic characters missing from Exalted's paradigm at the moment? Ruling out Exigents (Because they seem fairly capable of filling any role).
    Kinda the reverse of 'what would X be in Exalted'

Some ones that come to mind:
    Cu-Culain (I could see as a lunar, but his warp spasm seems a bit off from what I'd imagine. An infernal could make sense, possibly, or a Solar with a strange curse.)
    The Taoist Sage (We kinda know Getmetians are gonna take this one?)
    The hero who seasonally dies and is reborn (This...might be a stretch into what ought to remain myth of exlated, but still)
    The father/mother of monsters (Typhon, Lilith, Tau. This might be better for primodials and behemoths instead of neccessarily exalted)

Stepping a little outside of myth,
    The Shadow. Mesmerizm/hypnotizing your opponent to allow for stealth seems adjacent to Solar's Arete but not quite the same. Maybe I'm narrow minded?

Hm, thinking it over, I think I'd need a familairty with non-Classical texts to come up with compelling spaces in exalted lore. Any thoughts?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Is there an existing list of which cultural mythical figures certain canon characters are meant to represent?

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

I don't believe their 1:1, altho if Deus wasn't Odessyeus, I swear--
      There are a few charms that clearly invoke certain figures (the integrity tree has the Buddha and Jesus hiding in it, Athletics has Samson)
      Alternatively, 1st ed caste books had inspiration notes.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Cu-Chulain has been cited as inspiration for Lunars this go around.

<3

Comment

This is perhaps not quite what you mean (in terms of powers), but one thing we noticed with 2nd ed is that is was kind of difficult to play the hero who really doesn't want to be a hero, or use his power, but just wants to stay at home and be a simple farmer or something. However, events/destiny/the Gods force him into situations where he has to keep being heroic.
          Odysseus is actually a good example of this: he really just wants to stay at home and be farmer (well, and King, but of a pretty small country) with his wife and son.
          However, the other Kings force him to go to Troy with them, and then after that he just wants to go home, but it all goes horribly wrong.

2nd ed Exalted very much pushed that the only people who Exalt as Celestials are those who want to use their power, who want to be a world-shaker. Sometimes it even pushed that Terrestrials need to be this as well (as opposed to just inheriting their power).

I think maybe that's not quite pushed so much in 3rd ed anyway, though. It's not 100% clear, as it's left a bit vague.

Another kind I guess, is the hero whose power comes from a curse. This curse has severe drawbacks, but also gives them great power, and the two are intrinsically linked. Werewolves and vampires, the Hulk, blind prophets, Cain, etc.
          I think in 3rd ed you could argue that Abyssals were this, but the Resonance and their powers weren't quite 100% linked together (and I don't think that Resonance is going to be such a big curse in 3rd ed).
          You could also argue that all Exalts are cursed (by the Great Curse), but their power doesn't come from their curse in the way that, say, werewolves does. Or vampires.

Hmmm... another similar one I guess, is the hero whose power is dangerous to themselves or others, or is itself cursed or evil or something like that. They have to be careful about using it (maybe only using it when very necessary), due to the dangerous effects of using their powers.

I understand of course, why these aren't really much of a thing (they are a bit of a thing: Lunars gain power from cannibalism for example, so some Lunars may not want to use that power, or only use it sometimes, but it's not an unbreakable restriction anyway) in Exalted, admittedly.
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 07-25-2017, 12:48 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I think the Cursed-With-Power is averted for most of the 'classic' monster examples.
            Abyssals are Vampires...but they don't (IIRC) need to drink blood.
            Lunars are Werewolves(Skin Walkers, but closest we have to werewolveS)....but I don't recall them being in danger of losing control of their powers.
            Liminals are Renanimated orpses...but they actually are a bit cursed with solitary fear thing.

Ironically, for the 'danger to those around them' in a literal sense, DB anima flux might be a good example.

But yeah, the Hulk doesn't (yet) have a good analog in exalted it seems. Cain either, or the Lost Dutchman.

Neither does the 'boon earned by mystic meditation/aescticism' it seems, although that might be too broad for an exalted splat.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              Another kind I guess, is the hero whose power comes from a curse. This curse has severe drawbacks, but also gives them great power, and the two are intrinsically linked. Werewolves and vampires, the Hulk, blind prophets, Cain, etc.
              I think in 3rd ed you could argue that Abyssals were this, but the Resonance and their powers weren't quite 100% linked together (and I don't think that Resonance is going to be such a big curse in 3rd ed).
              You could also argue that all Exalts are cursed (by the Great Curse), but their power doesn't come from their curse in the way that, say, werewolves does. Or vampires.

Hmmm... another similar one I guess, is the hero whose power is dangerous to themselves or others, or is itself cursed or evil or something like that. They have to be careful about using it (maybe only using it when very necessary), due to the dangerous effects of using their powers.

I understand of course, why these aren't really much of a thing (they are a bit of a thing: Lunars gain power from cannibalism for example, so some Lunars may not want to use that power, or only use it sometimes, but it's not an unbreakable restriction anyway) in Exalted, admittedly.
              In that Doom and Gloam game run by Vance, there is at one point of a being that the players think is one of the new, so far not revealed Exalt types (this belief comes from some similarity to an unknown type that shows up in that illustration in the core of various types of Exalts), and they appear to be both curse-powered and for it to be possible to become more powerful by forgoing themselves, becoming some kind of evil taken over by the curse or something.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

I also think we don't really have the hero who has a spirit (or parasite) inside them, giving them power.
                Of course, Infernals had their inner demon, but that's not what gave them the power (though I did think that worked well).
                I kind of got the impression that one of the new splats might well do that. There's that picture of the guy with the strange dark spirit over him.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  There's that picture of the guy with the strange dark spirit over him.
                  Yeah, that is the one the players in Vance's game think they found: "Oh my god, he's an angry cloud guy."

Said guy self-describes his situation as "more than just a curse" and "I am my own Hell".

He is initially willing to do go to extreme lengths in trying to get rid of it, and later ends up...accepting it or taken over by it and becomes a would-be world destroyer.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

....sounds like a persona esque thing, with the acceptance/possession thing. Huh.

Comment

I dont think there are any analogs to The Mummy (any version) yet

Comment

I guess infernals could be like them but I don't think I see anything like Demon the Fallen. Other spirits of order trying to steal worship from Heaven. This Could be what is in Zen-Mu (pg 94)

Comment

There aren't many Tempter creatures in the gameline, as far as I know. Old Scratch, the sirens, Kumiho... creatures who like to lure mortals to their doom, either for profit or for food or just for the heck of it.
                          Last edited by semicasual; 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

You're right, there aren't many, but there is one in Ex3 core - the Fair Folk Lorelei, who can make people dismiss/not notice dangers with Beguiling Idyll. Very fae.

Comment

Mara also strikes me as a seduction figure, very much in the way of old European witch stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X