No announcement yet.

Missing from Exalted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exalted via revelation is a missing trope it seems(maybe sorcery?)

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
      I second that Possession by a spirit would be a good addition to the setting,
      This existed previously in the setting as the Dragon King ochiliké (may have screwed up the spelling); which were their original "Chosen" who deliberately allowed gods to possess them in order to make use of their spirit Charms and powers in combination with natural Dragon King powers.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

With panjundrums being a thing about, I'm kind of surprised there's never been a jabberwock. If only because there's some cool poetry in that sorta stuff. Or at least something called that.

I don't think a hydra has every shown up in Exalted, as I go through my head trying to think of something appropriate for the game.

Dulahans are neat and would probably make a good ghost inspiration.

Were wendigos ever a thing in the game? Those things are pretty cool to draw on. SImilarly for mosnters themed on hunger, the Irish fear gorta fits too.

There's also the nuckelavee, which is just kind of a fucked-up looking thing that would make for a good Wyld creature, demon, or unique regional thing. Hell, maybe some failed sorcerous working or critter or soemthing.

Al-miraj are pretty cool. If only because some Muslim world-inspired monsters and creatures seems like soemthing Exalted never hurts itself having more of.

And stuff.
        Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

Here's a thought for something I got from an anime. Somehow using two diffetent aspected powers in combination to create another diffetent aspect. Like mixing say Fire Essence and Earth Essence to weild Metal Essence, and thus new charms or effects.

Not sure where to fit it in, but I thought it'd ne interesting

Comment

As a note, I always liked the idea of the Five Sacred Beasts in Taoism for the cardinal directions and while that's taken up by the Dragons right now, having some behemoth or creaturea ssociated with the actual poles separate from the Dragons or representing them in Heaven always seemed cool to me.

And stuff.
            Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

Arent thete only 4 beadts in Taoism? (Tried looking up 5, everyone only lists 4)

Comment

I am pretty sure it is five. The dragon, the turtle, the tiger, the Phoenix, and the quilin.

Comment

Originally posted by rickayelm View Post
                  I am pretty sure it is five. The dragon, the turtle, the tiger, the Phoenix, and the quilin.

Qilin is not traditionally one of them. "Si Xiang" is literally "Four Symbols". The fact that Chinese tradition often counts the center as the fifth direction leads to a natural implication there should be a fifth for many people, hence the idea of using the Qilin in that role, but it's ahistoric. Note that all the other four are known by their colors: Meng Zhang (Azure Dragon), Ling Guang (Vermilion Bird), Jian Bing (White Tiger), and Zhi Ming (Black Turtle).

Sometimes when associated with the elements, Huangdi (the Yellow Emperor) is used for Earth and the Center - suggesting humanity standing between the 4 beasts.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                    Arent thete only 4 beadts in Taoism? (Tried looking up 5, everyone only lists 4)
                    The center direction sometime has another beast associated with it, it's the Qilin in the Tang dynasty and the Huanglong in the Ming-Qing dynasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                      I don't think a hydra has every shown up in Exalted, as I go through my head trying to think of something appropriate for the game.
                      The Frog Queen is playing that role in my Okeanos game; she's a giant venomous dragon, after all. Or do you mean the multi-headed aspect, with new heads springing up from the stumps?

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      Exalted via revelation is a missing trope it seems(maybe sorcery?)
                      Depends on what you mean by "Revelation." Getting a message and call to action from on high is already how Zeniths Exalt, for instance.
                      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-31-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rickayelm View Post

I was aware of those beasts, just didn't know there were 5 sometimes

Actually, I was working on an embryonic homebrew where those were the 5 'aspects' for Gaian exalted. the 5 orders were devoted to one of the 5 beasts, all of whom were higher level kami.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

Depends on what you mean by "Revelation." Getting a message and call to action from on high is already how Zeniths Exalt, for instance.
                          I was thinking more the 'seeing the world as it really is leads to power' then 'visitation from god/relization under the bonsai tree'. Although both might work for Solars.

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            The Frog Queen is playing that role in my Okeanos game; she's a giant venomous dragon, after all. Or do you mean the multi-headed aspect, with new heads springing up from the stumps?

The multi-headed bit mostly, yeah.

And stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post

I was aware of those beasts, just didn't know there were 5 sometimes

Actually, I was working on an embryonic homebrew where those were the 5 'aspects' for Gaian exalted. the 5 orders were devoted to one of the 5 beasts, all of whom were higher level kami.
                              Phoenix as a Caste fits with my own idea about Gaian healing and fertility charms working through sacrifice and the death/rebirth cycle.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

How about Dragon and Kirin? (Not sure if to use the other two or find more fantastical replacements)

Comment

Working...
                                X