Any Advice for Timeskips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Advice for Timeskips?

Yeah, that. I'm planning a decade timeskip between the end of the current story arc and the next one, to move some pieces along (mainly NPCs) and don't want to batch it.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
    Many Limbed Manual
    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

So, you're looking at ten years of downtime for the PCs right? Not like the PCs have been frozen in time, correct? If it's downtime, I would ask the players to come up with exploits to fill the gap. May even have one off adventures with each PC.

Could you elaborate on what you're looking for with your OP?

Good night sweet Green Sun Prince: And flights of demons beat thee to thy rest...with billyclubs!

Comment

Ten years of "no world ending major adventures, so I can set up NPCs, get the next quest believable etc"
      I'm looking for ways to give the players agency/minor conflict during this period w/o running the ten years in game time.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Well now, that depends some on how apocalyptic your pcs are.

Most should find relative lulls in their Obsession Quests.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

Are you giving the PCs any XP for this downtime?

Comment

Originally posted by Raven79 View Post
            Are you giving the PCs any XP for this downtime?

That was one thing I was considering, albiet xp at a reduced rate.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Ten years is a lot of downtime in exalted, most people will use that kind of time to train and prepare for the next time something happens. And ten years is a good chunk of XP so yeah reducing it might be a good idea. I'd take into consideration how things change in the world in that time frame a bit. Ten years a lot of things can happen. If you look at Naruto Shippuden and Boruto, theres quite a few years between the two series but the leaf village evolved greatly in that ten year time period. Your world doesn't have to change much but its something to consider a bit. Some villains could put some things into play too that your players will have to deal with once they regroup.

Comment

Which edition?

He/him

Comment

I think it depends on the PCs a lot.
                  I had a 25 year time-skip, but the more active players were frozen in amber or had been retired, and the remaining PC just puttered around her village in the jungle.
                  But if you have very active PCs who want to spend your 10 years conquering everything before them, it's a lot harder. So maybe tell us about the PCs you've got, and what they've been up to?

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

I personally recommend hinting to the players they may want to save up EXP with the fact that a Time skip will happen in a few months. To me I would only give a negligible amount XP, probably just Solar XP, but it really shines because it allows one to spend EXP for things that have huge training times.

I also made sure in my game to seed lots of things throughout that will sprout after downtime, such as babies being born, young children showing virtue and promise, and Enemies with nothing to lose and hate to temper their mettle. My early game involves lots of smaller downtimes, weeks and months as they played mortals and Exalted in game. I plan to have a year Downtime after they are fully realized Solars. And then I will probably pepper those around till trying a decade Downtime at some point. I try to wring a lot of drama and potential from NPCs while they are at the ages they are.

Comment

... Alright, Ros, here we go.

(opens mouth, firmly inserts foot).

‚ÄčI'm sorry, Epee102, but do you really have to? I mean, some have said that Exalted is all about the PCs, others maintain that holds true for most RPGs, and you're about to gloss over 10 years?

At least tell me the current chronicle/series/whatever they call campaigns in Exalted is over and your players are totally alright with that.

Idk, I'm probably overreacting, b/c I'm not used to such long downtimes (in D&D I'm making at most a couple years pass between last campaign and the next, and my players were utterly satisfied with where they were, they even opened a roadside tavern on the route to Neverwinter, bought some nearby fields, built a temple for the paladin, a manor and an artificer workshop for a couple beloved NPCs, started brewing their own beer, and so on).

As long as they can still train, craft stuff and keep doing what they've settled in to do, you might even give them no xp at all. The book does say that the rate at which PCs climb up in so little time to the highest levels of Essence is exceptional even for Exalts, and that normally Essence 5 would require many lifetimes, for instance.

But... 10 years! O__o

Comment

Sooooo....one day I will learn that large campaign mechanics are very circumstantial.
                        Campaign summary:
                        We are doing 3rd edition.

Right now, the party of 6 is resolving a Dreaming-Sea wide consipriacy by a mad Elder Sideral, her student, and despairing and desperate Dragon King to open a portal to Zen Mu, unleash/bind the equivalent of the Dragon of Wood and use the lost home of the primodials as a fortress by which they will conquer creation. Through out their advnetures the party has met/created a number of seeds that will take a few years to materialize as thing.
                        The downtime's intent is first to allow some major projects to be hurried along. These will warrant some role play, but they are extensive enough that time is a factor, including:
                        The Sorceress Queen Twilight wants to reform Ysyr and remove the mutations that mark people as slaves with a vast Solar level working. She also...kinda needs time to run her nation.
                        The Night Caste is establishing a new political society in their homeland, and helping their mate establish a new kingdom/city state in secret.
                        The Martial Arts Dawn Caste Poet wants to publish an epic to mullify people to the fear of solars and establish his own Martial Arts acadmey or poetic society.
                        The Eclipse is going to go and try to pull and Orpheus and get his wife back.

Now, there are some sidequests that will requrie player particpation (the trip to the underworld, one of the players is going to find the ancestral manse of his exaltation, etc) but none are likely to involve the whole party (my party has generally been...private in such conflicts, 'bothering' others when they need to only).
                        The purpose of the time skip is to get a few npcs moved around (the refugee settlment the night made from the parties earlier incidents, the night's homeland refroms/changes as it outgrows its abillity to keep secrecy, the Dawn's realm relations changing political power, the Frog men of Sukulit becoming more advanced in their memories, etc) and to set up the next threat, which is planned to be a realm war with Ysyr, kicked off by an attempted assaination of the Twilight-Queen.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                          Sooooo....one day I will learn that large campaign mechanics are very circumstantial.
                          Campaign summary:
                          We are doing 3rd edition.

Right now, the party of 6 is resolving a Dreaming-Sea wide consipriacy by a mad Elder Sideral, her student, and despairing and desperate Dragon King to open a portal to Zen Mu, unleash/bind the equivalent of the Dragon of Wood and use the lost home of the primodials as a fortress by which they will conquer creation. Through out their advnetures the party has met/created a number of seeds that will take a few years to materialize as thing.
                          The downtime's intent is first to allow some major projects to be hurried along. These will warrant some role play, but they are extensive enough that time is a factor, including:
                          The Sorceress Queen Twilight wants to reform Ysyr and remove the mutations that mark people as slaves with a vast Solar level working. She also...kinda needs time to run her nation.
                          The Night Caste is establishing a new political society in their homeland, and helping their mate establish a new kingdom/city state in secret.
                          The Martial Arts Dawn Caste Poet wants to publish an epic to mullify people to the fear of solars and establish his own Martial Arts acadmey or poetic society.
                          The Eclipse is going to go and try to pull and Orpheus and get his wife back.

Now, there are some sidequests that will requrie player particpation (the trip to the underworld, one of the players is going to find the ancestral manse of his exaltation, etc) but none are likely to involve the whole party (my party has generally been...private in such conflicts, 'bothering' others when they need to only).
                          The purpose of the time skip is to get a few npcs moved around (the refugee settlment the night made from the parties earlier incidents, the night's homeland refroms/changes as it outgrows its abillity to keep secrecy, the Dawn's realm relations changing political power, the Frog men of Sukulit becoming more advanced in their memories, etc) and to set up the next threat, which is planned to be a realm war with Ysyr, kicked off by an attempted assaination of the Twilight-Queen.
                          Wow, pretty awesome stuff you got there...

Okay, normally I would say, play all those plot threads, but it's obvious your players want to go at it alone for the main course, and STs aren't given the gift of ubiquity, unless they Exalt perhaps... so, yeah, nevermind I said anything, run those side missions and get back to the campaign with the whole party whenever they feel like sticking together a little bit more, or when you think it's appropriate.

Too bad though... "They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot". Damn those wacky players!

Oh, and as for xp?... uh, beats me. I'd give them xp only for the parts they play, not out of the evil lurking in my black corrupted heart but just b/c that's how the game usually works and as I said, there's absolutely nothing wrong about it (actually it's even more believable if you follow canon). But the others probably have more satisfying ways to solve the dilemma, so don't mind me, I'll be here in a corner XD

Comment

This is very interesting, and. It just because time skips are one of my favorite ways for plots to be advanced in stories while allowing the reader to fill in the blanks.

I was going to say that you should try to get all of the characters invested in large side quests to do with their own personal downtime, but it already seems like they are planning on doing that themselves.
                            I would then have them give you a write up of how they plan to go about these projects so that you can work then into your story.
                            I don't know if you want to have them gain xp over the time but I would certainly give them background dots equivalent to what they plan to do in the story, and perhaps a severely reduced xp return since it is all happeneing off screen after all.
                            As for writing it up, I don't think you need to go into too many details other than providing a recap for your players as to what they all did during the down time, and then perhaps giving a brief overview of how things are now for them, and allow them to fill in how this all went down, if it's not something they should know then you don't need to fill in those details yet.
                            It's a very interesting concept, like I said I love time skips in stories but I've never been part of a major one longer than a month in a table top so I would love to hear how it turns out for you.

Also I just recalled I have a writing resource bookmarked that discusses writing time skips, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet myself but if you would like to see it I can find the link and send it to you.

Elemental and dragon line descriptors and capturing device coming soon
                            Craft Rewrite W/ Points, Slots, and Charms
                            Executive Leadership Organization Merrit

Comment

How to do it depends too much in the people in the group. What is the right thing for some people is what makes others drop a game and leave. I mean, it can be everything between "it is ten years later, and you all get 40 XP," to playing it out in a very accelerated fashion (just taking a few minutes to gloss over what could have been a multi session adventure, then rinse and repeat until enough in game time has passed).

The later is more for sandbox type playing and might take things in a direction you don't want, in case you have a specific adventure in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X